boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 15 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnPadgett ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Yamaha Outboard idle screw location?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: best protectant lubricant for wires/connections? Topic Next Topic: PROPELLER  FREEWHEELING  

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  17:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me where the screw is located to adjustment the idle rpms? Maybe a drawing of the location?

Motor is a 2001 Yamaha
40 HP 4 stroke Model F40TLRZ

Homeport: Staten Island, NY

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  20:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this will help Art . From the Yamaha website: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx You may have to re-enter "outboard, 2001, F40TRLZ " then click on "CARBURETOR" but the carb parts diagram & list is there for that model. Clicking on "CONTROL" I believe brings up the engine-end control linkages that connect to the cables from the helm remote control. The upper linkages appear to be to the carb and lower to shift.

Possibly #'s 44 or 29 on the carb list, if not by cable-end linkage adjustment??? The parts list doesn't seem terribly descriptive regarding idle-speed adjustment screw.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  21:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy, I appreciate the link but I still can't determine what screw will adjust the idle? The diagram is just too confusing for me?

Homeport: Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art- I was kind of hoping someone with experience with that engine or similar Yamaha could give you a nudge towards towards the right part # on the diagrams provided.

Looking at your engine , is there any kind of throttle plate linkage stop screw you can see? That is not obvious to me in the diagrams, but could be looking at the real thing. If not, I guess I might take good note of the present position of the screws I mentioned and try adjusting them a mite to note the change in rpm but take care not to over-lean out the mixture if it turns out they are idle mixture screws. 1st, disconnect the throttle cable to see if you get the desired result(if trying to lower idle rpm.) If so, I'd just adjust the the cable at it's attachment bracket to slacken a bit so the throttle plate does not open when cable is reattached. If you are trying to raise idle speed, I'd think you would be better off adjusting at the carb or linkage as it sounds like you wish to do.

Either way, as with most any engine, the cable adjustment should be just a hair or 2 slacker than having no effect on throttle plate opening when the remote control is in neutral/ idle to avoid too high an idle speed if the cable or control stick just slightly. Sorry, that's still not much help.

Sandy

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  08:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy, That sounds like a good solution & I won't need to play with the carb. Thanks.

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  15:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art n' Sandy, without going to that site, is it possible the Idle mixture and Speed is controlled by a Solenoid?
As in IAC on my Ford!
If you have a bunch of electronics on that engine you may be cursed!

Homeport: AL. Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jun 07 2008 :  21:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno, Thud, but I'm leaning towards "I doubt it" as the F40 is the only mid-range Yam 4-stroke that does not have fuel injection according to the features list for those engines. Other than that I know nothing about them.

Any luck Art?

Sandy

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  18:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I knew when I put the engine to bed last season it needed the idle adjusted. It was stalling with low rpms. I had put a bottle of that Startron in it mixed it up well & ran it through the carb. Then ran the carb dry, no Winterization. I figured it needed an adjustment & it would be going to the shop anyway so why bother? OK, this engine started like it was running 5 minutes ago. I've used it for the last two days & it runs as new. No adjustment needed? Heck, I'm going to try a drink with this stuff & some Vodka? Maybe I'll get younger too?

Previous Topic: best protectant lubricant for wires/connections? Topic Next Topic: PROPELLER  FREEWHEELING  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.78 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com