BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: Capt.Stan ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Captains License
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: How do I send/get a PM? Topic Next Topic: Help!  Need Ideas on Removing Wiper Arm  

babncb

RO# 19338

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  22:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At what lengt boat is a captain's license required for operate a privately owned
vessel?

babncb
St. Martinville, La.
Regal 265

Homeport:

thataway4

RO# 10872

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  22:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not necessary for a private yacht. As soon as you take passangers for hire, and some other commercial ventures, then a license is required. There are various licenses by category ref number of passangers and size of the vessel.

Bob Austin

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  22:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember right, the requirement is not based on ownership, nor is it based on length.

The requirement is based on vessel tonnage and/or it's use. I'm not licensed, so You should get more, better answers from those who are...

( If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me! )

-edit-
Arrrggg. I type -way- too slow. There were no responses when I started to answer...

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - Radioactive on Oct 19 2008 22:49:27

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

babncb

RO# 19338

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  22:52:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iss the 6-pack license still available? I thought that it was discontinued.

babncb
St. Martinville, La.
265 Regal

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  23:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, itis available. 6-pack = OUPV

http://uscg.mil/nmc/

Bill

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  07:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
afaik there is no set rules, although when you get into larger boats there may be other things that come into play. For instance, some ports / area require a pilot aboard for boats as "small" as 100 to 125GT or 100', especially when foreign flagged.

the only real limitation on size (besides $$$) is your insurance company who will require a captain if you jump more than 15 to 20' at a time, at least for a while.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

babncb

RO# 19338

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  10:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone. The information is greatly appreciated.

babncb
St. Martinville, La.
265 Regal

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  12:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

afaik there is no set rules, although when you get into larger boats there may be other things that come into play. For instance, some ports / area require a pilot aboard for boats as "small" as 100 to 125GT or 100', especially when foreign flagged.

the only real limitation on size (besides $$$) is your insurance company who will require a captain if you jump more than 15 to 20' at a time, at least for a while.

We have friends who went from a 32' to a 54' boat and the insurance company required he have a licensed captain to run the boat for the first year, after that he could run it himself. I don't know if it is because of the difference in size or just the physical size of the new boat. Luckily one of his best friends is a 100T captain.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

babncb

RO# 19338

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  19:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, let me see if I have this right. The captain is also friends with the insurance agent. He gets the agent to require the lisenced captain and then the captain gets to go with the boat for a free if not a paid ride for a year. Now that is thinking outside of the box.

babncb
St. Martinville, La.
265 Regal

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  19:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not up to the agent. It's up to company thst writes the policy.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  00:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The owners friend is the licensed captain. Not the agents friend.
I must be speaking a different english than the rest of the world.....

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  00:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rduhon, you are doing just fine. But don't tell them the story about goin for choupic in the bateau...

Bill

BRAD SCHOENWALD

RO# 27693

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a 200 GT requirement but it is rarely enforced for recreational boats and it would be a very, very large boat.
How does the insurance company vet the ability of the License holder and why for a year?

We have a new program which teaches and tests the skill of the boat owner. With a performance based curriculum the boat owner is able to remove the licensed captain warranty provision and possibly a reduced premium. The only way to do this is through a performance (skill, hands on) based curriculum with pre determined tasks to a minimum acceptable proficiency level. Therefore unlike a Coast Guard License testing center it is not a guarantee you will pass as each individual must demonstrate proficiency.

Holding a Coast Guard License in no way demonstrates knowledge, skill or ability.

BTW if the insurance company has required a license holder to be onboard the owners friend is at great risk. At minimum he should insist to be listed as a named insured.

Homeport: florida Go to Top of Page

kgd

RO# 29830

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  16:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I purchased my boat the insurance company required a licensed captain on board also. They reviewed the qualifications of the captain and there was no length of time designated. I had to get the captain to sign off on a number of different criteria before the insurance company would remove the restriction. I had moved up alot in overall size of the vessel and thought the process worked very well. The captain I used took his role in signing off very seriously. The day he signed me off I must have went in and out of my slip 20 times. We also did a number of different safety drills. I thought the amount I ended up paying the captain was money well spent.

San Francisco, CA

Homeport: San Francisco, CA Go to Top of Page

Sea Gull

RO# 11632

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  16:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BRAD SCHOENWALD

We have a new program which teaches and tests the skill of the boat owner. With a performance based curriculum the boat owner is able to remove the licensed captain warranty provision and possibly a reduced premium. The only way to do this is through a performance (skill, hands on) based curriculum with pre determined tasks to a minimum acceptable proficiency level. Therefore unlike a Coast Guard License testing center it is not a guarantee you will pass as each individual must demonstrate proficiency.

What do you mean? Can you elaborate on who the "we" is?

Homeport: CT Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  18:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did Coast Guard Exam Centers start guaranteeing passing? Wish I had known that. I missed one question out of all 5 tests - wouldn't have sweated if I'd known they guaranteed it. Maybe I should have held out a few years. I thought it was only the 'sea school' print shops that offered a guarantee.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

BRAD SCHOENWALD

RO# 27693

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  20:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by November Charlie

I thought it was only the 'sea school' print shops that offered a guarantee.

That is what I was reffering too.

Homeport: florida Go to Top of Page

babncb

RO# 19338

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  21:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RDUHON, my last reply was supposed to be a joke. I did not think this would get as serious as it did for the original question. One thing for sure, there are a number of different opinions and is does not appear that any are set in stone or written into law. I guess that every insurance ccompany can write thier own requirements.

The captain requirements are certainly something that a prospective buyer needs to check into with his insurance before buying a larger boat.

babncb
St. Martinville, La.
265 Regal

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  23:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
babncb, I have a few years under the belt as an insurance agent, and the "captain aboard" requirement is passed downward from the ins co underwriter, through the agent, to the prospect. Not all companies require it, not all prospects need it. Basically, it comes about when a boater jumps from one size of vessel to a larger vessel that requires considerably more seamanship than the smaller vessel. It is offered when all other underwriting indicates a "good risk", but the lack of proven experience requires denial of the application. By having a licensed captain aboard, until experience can be demonstrated, the ins co can offer coverage.

Note that often it is the lower priced ( or broader coverage ) ins carrier that makes such requirements. Other ins carriers do not make the requirement, but include this additional risk in their calculations, and offer coverage at a higher rate. Not all companies and coverages are the same, YMMV. Marine insurance is far from standardized, and policies and coverages may vary widely( vs "homeowner's" which is rather standardized ).

Bill

Cpt. Harold

RO# 29184

Posted - Oct 25 2008 :  10:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BRAD SCHOENWALD

Holding a Coast Guard License in no way demonstrates knowledge, skill or ability.

LOL Reminds me of a certain "Licenced Captain" I know, He doesn't even know how to anchor properly!
The person who wrote the "recomendation letter" should have been jailed. :)

Homeport: Boqueron, Puerto Rico Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: How do I send/get a PM? Topic Next Topic: Help!  Need Ideas on Removing Wiper Arm  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.81 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     

boat-ed.com
Boatered.com