BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: dentray ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 I'm back! Negotiating on a Tiara

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SteveG Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 13:30:46
Hello long lost BoaterEd friends. It's been a long time since I posted a boat related topic, and about 2 years since I last stopped by. Sorry, and I feel like a heel!

Anyway, the kids are older now, and we are in the process of getting back to boating, but this time on the ocean. We are in the process of negotiating a deal on a Tiara 3500 Express.

I hope you guys are all doing well and you welcome me back without too much resistance. :)

27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HOGAN Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 15:48:09
quote:
Originally posted by SteveG

It's a RIB? Cool! I'll read up on that. How many can you comfortably get in it? It says rated for 4.

Also, it's PVC. With the New England sun, vs say Florida, is Hypalon not a must?

I have a 9.9 two-stroke, which moves it fine with four people. There is room for 6. The transom folds, so I can store it in my trunk.

PVC is fine, if you keep it covered from the sun, it will last a long time.
SteveG Posted - Mar 08 2018 : 14:22:06
I'm not opposed to it, but for my cruising territory and use, I'm perfectly fine with gas too. For the price point difference, I tend to favor gas over diesel in the same boat as long as the boat isn't underpowered with the gassers it has. Starting to look at 36 convertibles.
pdecat Posted - Mar 06 2018 : 08:17:52
Will you be looking for a boat with Diesels?
SteveG Posted - Mar 06 2018 : 08:11:35
Well unfortunately the Tiara was too wet to go forward, and another I found was in poor condition. I'm pretty bummed, but moving on. I'm looking into a 2000 Trojan 360 Express. Does anyone know how that boat rides with it's 12' beam and twin 320hp motors? I have searched high and low and can't find any reviews of this boat. I found one owner commenting on it, and he wasn't positive about it. Thanks.
SteveG Posted - Feb 22 2018 : 15:53:48
It's a RIB? Cool! I'll read up on that. How many can you comfortably get in it? It says rated for 4.

Also, it's PVC. With the New England sun, vs say Florida, is Hypalon not a must?
HOGAN Posted - Feb 22 2018 : 10:52:59
I bought the West Marine 310 RIB, with folding transom last year and am very happy with it. It flies with my 9.9 Merc 2 stroke. It's light enough for me to pull onto my swim platform. On sale until 2/25

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--rib-310-compact-folding-transom-rigid-inflatable-boat--14460885
SteveG Posted - Feb 22 2018 : 06:15:04
First part of the survey (out of water, hull check) is this coming Tuesday...
SteveG Posted - Feb 15 2018 : 14:31:35
Rollers on each side of the 4' swim platform, with a dinghy rack on the platform. But no crane or hydraulic platform.

I do have the boat under agreement now, so lots to think about in terms of logistics. Survey, sea trial, insurance, documentation, getting it home, etc. Yikes.
Maxwell Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 22:51:00
Does the boat have a submersible platform or crane for the dinghy, or is it a "pull on" system?
SteveG Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 08:30:21
Ok, so getting closer on the deal. Hopefully will know today or tomorrow for sure, then need to start lining up and planning for the survey, sea trial, insurance, etc. This will be my first non trailered boat, so I'm learning about the launch, haul, etc., bottom paint, etc., stuff I never had to think about before.

And then the dinghy...Yes, need a dinghy. There's 5 of us, and a dog. I'm thinking something around 10' with a 15hp on it. The swim platform is oversized at 48", and has a dinghy rack right on it for stoaring dinghy there. Boat was a 13'9" beam, so platform is likely about 12-12.5' wide. Should provide enough room to maneuver around it do gain access through walkways.

You guys that know me know I love to learn, so have at it...any advice and opinions are welcome! Questions too.
SteveG Posted - Feb 11 2018 : 19:10:26
quote:
Originally posted by BestMate

Glad to see you're still around Steve...Tiaras are nice boats...how do you use a 3500 on a lake?

Thanks. We love the boat...still working on the deal...
SteveG Posted - Feb 11 2018 : 19:09:34
Right, NH and Mass coasts.
Phillbo Posted - Feb 07 2018 : 11:57:29
He'll be on the ocean.
BestMate Posted - Feb 07 2018 : 09:37:56
Glad to see you're still around Steve...Tiaras are nice boats...how do you use a 3500 on a lake?
Brian N Posted - Feb 06 2018 : 11:42:06
quote:

I did. Where’s Les?

He's around, still living in Concord. I'm sure he'll pop in to razz you too...
pdecat Posted - Feb 06 2018 : 10:24:23
We missed the tales of the house repairs and the lake. Welcome back.
HOGAN Posted - Feb 06 2018 : 09:33:15
quote:

I did. Where’s Les?

Who????
SteveG Posted - Feb 06 2018 : 06:48:39
I did. Where’s Les?
Brian N Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 23:16:20
quote:

Ouch, tough crowd! Yes Glenn, I knew it wouidn't take long.

Come on now, you had to expect it man...
SteveG Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 18:17:07
Ouch, tough crowd! Yes Glenn, I knew it wouidn't take long.
Brian N Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 17:21:12
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

Watch out for rocks.

Brian N Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 17:19:55
When should we expect to see the Tiara up for sale? I'm thinking spring?
Chesagansett Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 15:50:44
Welcome back, Steve! ... And Bruce beat me to the rock comment. You knew we couldn't let that one go! ;)

pdecat Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 14:42:37
Watch out for rocks.
SteveG Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 14:22:28
The itch never went away for me, just kept it manageable with other distractions. Got a long way to go though, as survey and sea trail likely won't be till late April assuming we strike an agreeable deal.
AustinPaul Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 14:07:54
That's great. I've been boatless for less than a year, but really getting the itch! Probably go full circle from runabout to cruiser to runabout.

Good luck with your re-entry. Tiara! Oh yes!
Brian N Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 14:02:27
Damn man, I was just wondering about you recently. Tiara...very nice...

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.62 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com