BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 boat maintenance

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobCT Posted - Apr 12 2011 : 19:56:56
Are there any less expensive options for doing boat maintenance/hull cleaning than the 12v systems?

I've snorkled but not done any diving. Last year I needed to unwrap a bag from around my prop. I was probably 3' below the surface and thought..." why can't I add a 3-5' of hose to a snorkel"?

Is that an option?

If there are any other options, I would be interested.

thanks,
Bob
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Live2Dive Posted - Aug 03 2011 : 08:15:02
I have a Brownies third lung electric in addition to several sets of dive gear (diving is why we got the boat in the first place). It is very helpful to be able to dive under your own boat. It is also my main source of enjoyment on the boat.
Seadaddler Posted - Apr 21 2011 : 16:42:24
Any dive shop can pickup that hose similar price
Capt. Bill1 Posted - Apr 19 2011 : 12:03:12
Here is about as cheap as you'll get: http://tinyurl.com/3ovr65z

Just add a tank.

BornToBoat Posted - Apr 19 2011 : 11:47:05
I have the hose and regulator system as well. It works great. Look at this brand. airlinebyjsink dot com
HOGAN Posted - Apr 18 2011 : 17:26:52
rommer has a portable system that he uses.
Seadaddler Posted - Apr 18 2011 : 17:14:12
I use a dive tank and 40' hose and regulator and dive my boat to add zincs and clean prop and gives me long time under boat than holding my breath.
I got all my equipment on E-Bay and I did get certified but due to ear problems don't dive much other than diving under my sailboat.
All my equipment has been updated by dive shop.
BobCT Posted - Apr 13 2011 : 19:18:23
thanks guys, great responses. I kind of figured if you could use a 6' hose and breathe someone would be selling it. As a non diver, it is hard to imagine why it wouldn't work but I think I get it now.

Rob, I like your idea and I think I'll go ahead and get certified. I do all of my all own maintenance and could easily change a prop and zincs as needed. I had one dinner trip ruined last year when I picked up a clam bag. I pulled it off it by diving under and holding my breath but it wasn't fun.

Bob
BornToBoat Posted - Apr 13 2011 : 12:09:48
Bob,

I got scuba certified a couple years ago, and it has been a big convenience on the boat. Aside for all the diving I do just for pleasure, I have saved a good amount of money just last year alone. The water at my old marina was very warm last year, and the barnacle growth out of control. We were headed off for a long weekend and couldn't even get on plane. I moved out of the channel, dropped the anchor and dove below for some scraping. 30 min later, we're off again and on plane. Big $$ savings, and it saved our long weekend.

Another time I bent a prop (luckily it was the left, because I only had a left spare). Limped back to the marina (the spare was in the dock box), and dove down and changed it. No haul, no expense.

Mid year I had to change zincs on the shaft. No problem.

I suggest you get certified first. You don't need to go for a lot of expensive equipment. An internet company from NYC has the best selection and prices, LeisurePro. I got a lot of my equipment used off of craigslist.

For just under the boat work, you could go as simple as a pony bottle, regulator, and a few pounds of weight. Most importantly, take a class and get certified.
Chevy427z Posted - Apr 13 2011 : 09:43:39
Aside from rebreathing the same air, there is the issue of pressure at depth on your lungs trying to breathe surface air. When I got certified years ago, my instructor demonstrated that theory by giving us a five foot long garden hose to breathe through. We couldn't get below 2 feet and continue to inhale. Hard to comprehend without actually experiencing it. I agree with a hookah type arrangement for boat maintenance.

Mark
padfor Posted - Apr 12 2011 : 20:50:12
With a snorkel that long you would soon die. The length of a snorkel must have a smaller capacity than you lungs; otherwise you would be breathing the same air over and over until the oxygen was depleted. Get a hooka compressor or use a tank, both with proper regulators. I use full scuba gear and a suction cup to stick with the boat.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 20.05 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com