BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 3 bank charger jumper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PascalG Posted - Jul 31 2012 : 10:54:59
Came across something interesting yesterday... I had to replace a 4D AGM that was only 3 years old, not holding charge,dropping back to 10.7 v as soon as the charger was turned off, and pretty warm to the touch

It's one if 2 batteries (4Ds) used for only for generator starting (2 generators) and some light house duties (only 2 VHFs and 5 stereos, all but one being rarely used)

Charger is a smart 3 stage Pro Mariner (Protech 4-1230) which afaik is original to the boat. I pulled the manual and found that while the battery type switch was set correctly,two other things were incorrect:

Dip switches for absorption time were set for one hour whereas the manual recommends 4 hours for 4Ds

Missing jumper between one of the used output terminals to the third and unused terminal

I wonder if this would explain why those batteries don't seem to last more than 3 to 4 years.

Unfortunately, until recently there were no visible volt meter for the 12v system so I had no mean to check and keep track of voltages. It s a pet peeve of mine... Hiding voltmeters, amp meters, bilge and sump pump lights behind solid cabinetry is plain stupid!

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rnbenton Posted - Jul 31 2012 : 12:16:50
Your answer is "yes". I had some wiring and battery work done this year and the electrician found the exact same problem with my ProMariner. He replaced the jumper and now all works well.

Bob

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com