BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmeirhofer Posted - Nov 04 2012 : 14:34:35
Well the carpet got pretty wet with Hurricane Sandy. I had a hatch in the Saloon that leaked. I guess 10" of rain in that short of time was a little more than it could shed. Next storm I will definetly tape plastic over that one. Anyway, since the carpet was wet and I am putting in wood floors this winter I pulled it out before it started to get moldy. For grins I laid down a box of the bamboo flooring I have to see how it would look. The carpet came up very easy. The wood part however is a worthy opponent. It is glued and nail to an underlayment that is scewed and glued to the sole.

Between this and winterizing I think I know what I will be doing for the next couple months of weekends.
50   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HOGAN Posted - Dec 03 2018 : 10:09:35
My boat came with a full mooring cover, it is five pieces and covers the entire boat, from the bow to the swim platform.
boatbum Posted - Dec 02 2018 : 10:25:38
We used one on a 25' boat and it saved quite a bit of time since we used the boat often. If you don't mind storing the gels properly somewhere, and you have a center support so water doesn't pool up you may find it convenient. Especially if you can leave the bimini up.
abalmuth Posted - Dec 02 2018 : 09:03:22
Its often called a mooring cover. So very common on boats that are stored on mooring.
I keep one full time on my fly bridge, but i have a lower helm to run from if it rains etc...

I dont know how practical it will be full time an an express boat unless your weather is rain free most of the time?

Knotayat Posted - Dec 02 2018 : 02:05:28
Does anyone have a canvas like this for your 440? I was considering getting one as we plan on using the boat only on nice days. We would have the camper top on board for those days that don't turn out perfect too.

I figure this should be easier to take off and put on compared to the windows each time.

Thoughts?

Also, can anyone get a rough size of this canvas area? I probably won't see the boat for a few more months to measure it.

Thanks
Audrey II Posted - Sep 06 2018 : 00:45:47
Water heater should be in the engine room I would assume it would be on the port side of the port engine. I don't know of any adjustments but it is possible. Oddly I have two water heaters one port and one starboard this said I don't know of any other Trojans with this setup. I also have two holding tanks one for each head again I don't know of any others with this setup. There are four 440s in my marina and yes we are all members here all four are different years and all are different in several ways mine it the oldest I love the boat just the way it is. I added the swim platform mine came with a davit to lift a jetski into the garage I use it to launch my dinghy on and off of the platform.
Over time you will get it know your boat and you will grow to love it let most of us have. I didn't know much about my boat before I bought it I happened across it while looking for a different boat my wife and I fell in love with it and bought it two days later this was 10 years ago no regrets!
Knotayat Posted - Sep 05 2018 : 07:55:35
Thanks Dave.

How about the water heater? First off, where is it? I didn't really look for it though, I'm assuming it's in the engine room. When plugged into 110, the water gets extremely hot, like scalding. I wanted to check and see if there was an adjustment to be made, and if not, possibly a bad thermostat.

Thanks again.
Audrey II Posted - Sep 05 2018 : 02:31:48
have not had problems with you first two issues so I don't know, as for the transfer pump mine has never worked the motor turns put doesn't pump. I believe it is an easy fix I assume there is an impeller inside that needs to be replaced
Knotayat Posted - Sep 04 2018 : 15:53:26
I just spent my first weekend on the new to me 98 440.

Couple quick questions.

How do you access the forward head exhaust fan? It isn't working, and can't seem to find access to it.

Horn doesn't work, haven't dug into it yet. Common issue?

Fuel transfer didn't seem to work when I was running. Port engine seemed to use much more fuel then starboard. It was showing about 1 GPH more in most cases, but trying to balance it out didn't work.

Besides that, I had a great weekend on it, and what a great boat!

I hope I can be some help to this forum in the future, but, for now, I'm sure I'm going to be asking a few random questions.
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 20 2018 : 17:34:04
Here is the whole owner's manual if you have a use for it.
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 20 2018 : 17:31:26
Found my old blog with the diagrams. Unfortunately not high enough res to read them but you can get an idea of wear the thru hull is.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pMKXBPs3KOU/T1ZYwl4H6dI/AAAAAAAAAK8/9BPlAPP-sPM/s1600/thru+hull+fittings.bmp

It would be number 17 and now that I am thinking about it, and looking at the picture, it is on each side.
Audrey II Posted - Aug 20 2018 : 16:26:38
Did you know that even the stringers are different?

I have to change the duck bills on my day head I have now idea what they were thinking when they installed the pump where they did there must have been a better place! While it is not the end of the world it will take a lot longer the it should. I think I will have to remove the shower sump pump and unscrew the pump from the floor to gain enough access to both sides. I'm hoping the process won't kill an entire day!
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 20 2018 : 15:36:27
Yeah, I know they changed model year to model year and especially once they moved to Polaski. What I was eluding to was that even same model years had differences. Holding tanks, water tanks, wiring, thru hulls, etc..... Not like these things came off a precision production line. I think the only thing you could guarantee are the same would be the hull molds.
haha
Audrey II Posted - Aug 18 2018 : 07:05:19
John there are a ton of differences once they moved construction to the Carver plant in 98'
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 12 2018 : 23:27:56
I used to have some drawings that showed it on my blog. I will see if I can find them tomorrow. Or a better picture. I had to re-subscribe (and pay) to get my pictures from photobucket but I will look there too. Maybe yours did not come with one. I have found differences boat to boat even in the same model years.
Johnfrmcal Posted - Aug 09 2018 : 20:00:24
Thanks John, I will go look again. I've got the anchor locker very clean and I don't see any drainage, other than the hole that the fresh water fill hose goes through at the very bottom of the anchor locker, which is the opposite of where I want the water to go. I want it to go OUTSIDE the boat!!
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 09 2018 : 14:53:03
Hi John. If I remember correctly there was a through hull at the base of the chain locker. I believe mine was plugged with debris. Water would back up down there and then drain into the center bilge. In heavy rain the water could not drain past the anchor roller fast enough either and would back up and overflow to the chain locker too. It was really evident once everything was repaired and put back. I cleared the hole down there so it could drain. I had planned to fix the drainage by the roller by putting a hole through the shelf at the front and when I put the roller back in use a washer between the roller and the base to let water under the roller and through the hole to the chain locker. I never got to that before selling the boat though.
Johnfrmcal Posted - Aug 08 2018 : 18:00:15
Still loving our boat, we use it quite a bit. And of course the list of repairs and upgrades is never ending, I really can't tell if it grows or stays the same...I have a feeling it is growing LOL.

My next project is to rebuild the anchor roller shelf like John did in previous posts. Also, I need to figure out drainage for the anchor locker. There was a discussion in the past about weep holes. For the life of me I can find no evidence of any. Mine's a '98, and I'm not sure if anyone else's is like mine, but the fresh water fill hose from the deck plate runs right through the bottom of the anchor locker. I think I know now why there are no weep holes...cuz the damn water runs right through the fresh water fill hose hole in the anchor locker floor and goes right into the bilge! Which really sucks since I'm trying to find ways to eliminate water in the forward bilge, not encourage it!
jmeirhofer Posted - Aug 01 2018 : 16:04:08
Good to see this thread is still going.
aenglebert1 Posted - Jul 23 2018 : 17:55:19
I see no one has asked a question lately... I need to replace one of the main beakers for shore power for the air conditioning side of the panel. Does anyone know the name or model number of a replacement breaker?
Watermark Posted - Apr 02 2018 : 00:03:27
Does anyone know where I can find the windshield gasket seals? I'm currently working with Imtra and they are trying to contact Besenzoni, the manufacturer of the windshield. Thanks, Mike
HOGAN Posted - Jan 29 2018 : 09:38:30
Just measure the dimensions and get one that fits, there are a few different models out there.
Audrey II Posted - Jan 14 2018 : 15:23:25
I'm not sure if this will help any but it may.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/Refrigeration-Size-Comparison.aspx
jonfraser Posted - Jan 14 2018 : 08:13:17
I've done some research into several replacement items including the refrigerator. The advice I've been given is to read the reviews, buy quality and most importantly, wait for it to go on sale. I've found www.defender.com has some great deals on appliances, but I'd look around.

quote:
Originally posted by Watermark

Does anyone have a recommended replacement for the Norcold DE461 refrigerator?

Thanks!

Watermark Posted - Jan 14 2018 : 03:03:24
Does anyone have a recommended replacement for the Norcold DE461 refrigerator?

Thanks!
Watermark Posted - Nov 20 2017 : 01:02:44
Does anyone have any ideas for a windshield replacement? Still something I need to do. Thanks, Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Watermark

The two windshield pieces that need to be replaced are about 48" x 54". The edges are curved and it has a slight bow to it.

aenglebert1 Posted - Sep 28 2017 : 18:32:12
Thanks so much that would be much appreciated. austin at austinenglebert.com

Couldn't use the AT sign due to formatting issues

quote:
Originally posted by Johnfrmcal

quote:
Originally posted by aenglebert1

HI Johnfrmcal

I am new to the forum. Bought my 1999 44 Tojan Express last year, Love it! I have the same leaking issue around the arch. I want to make some canvas modifications like yours but now can't see your pics. Is there any way to make a change to view them?

Hi and welcome to the forum! My apologies, I don't have any notifications turned on to let me know when there are new posts and I haven't looked in a while. I guess I should find how you turn that on LOL. It seems that everyone and their mother used to use the free pic hosting on Photobucket, and then all of a sudden they made it a subscription-only feature because all of the forums I'm on have suddenly lost so many pics. Anyways, If you can PM me or get me your email address, I will send you the pics. Having the canvas designed and made correctly solved my problem, which I think was much easier that trying to shim the arch. It's a lot more expensive of course, but if you need new canvas anyways then it's the solution.

Johnfrmcal Posted - Sep 01 2017 : 21:42:11
quote:

HI Johnfrmcal

I am new to the forum. Bought my 1999 44 Tojan Express last year, Love it! I have the same leaking issue around the arch. I want to make some canvas modifications like yours but now can't see your pics. Is there any way to make a change to view them?

Hi and welcome to the forum! My apologies, I don't have any notifications turned on to let me know when there are new posts and I haven't looked in a while. I guess I should find how you turn that on LOL. It seems that everyone and their mother used to use the free pic hosting on Photobucket, and then all of a sudden they made it a subscription-only feature because all of the forums I'm on have suddenly lost so many pics. Anyways, If you can PM me or get me your email address, I will send you the pics. Having the canvas designed and made correctly solved my problem, which I think was much easier that trying to shim the arch. It's a lot more expensive of course, but if you need new canvas anyways then it's the solution.
HOGAN Posted - Aug 10 2017 : 10:31:51
It's TWICE as funny, Dave!
Audrey II Posted - Aug 09 2017 : 20:34:35
Funny how the different years have slightly different arches.
HOGAN Posted - Aug 09 2017 : 09:43:29
quote:

HI Johnfrmcal

The problem is poor design. The arch tilts forward when the boat is at rest, so the water pools up against the canvas and drips through the arch. I have tilted mine back a little and it improved the problem. This winter, I will tilt it back so that all the water runs off the back, then get a new canvas because the old one won't fit with it tilted back more.
Audrey II Posted - Aug 08 2017 : 21:26:28
Welcome to the club! The leak has been an issue for many my original top was terrible my current top is great it took a few attempts but they got it right. Best of luck with the new boat!
aenglebert1 Posted - Aug 08 2017 : 09:32:12
HI Johnfrmcal

Watermark Posted - Jun 20 2017 : 03:53:16
The two windshield pieces that need to be replaced are about 48" x 54". The edges are curved and it has a slight bow to it.
WALSHIE Posted - Jun 16 2017 : 09:34:46
Are the window panels flat?

I needed to replace a window after Sandy and was quoted 2,000 for new.
I called a local glass guy, he needed me to take the whole window frame out and bring to him.
He then made a template, matched the tint and sent it out to a glass distributor that makes the safety glass.

Cost less than $250.

If you can provide a template or the whole windshield, perhaps someone can do the same for you.
Watermark Posted - Jun 15 2017 : 18:37:01
Looking for a recommendation on windshield replacement please.

The two main panels of the windshield were broken at some point before I bought the boat. They were replaced with Lexan or some type of plexiglass. They are now checked and cracked and need to be replaced. Also, the seals need to be replaced as well. Any suggestions as to where to get replacement glass or plexi and the window seals?

Thank you!
Johnfrmcal Posted - Feb 22 2017 : 01:19:04
If you ever get the chance to measure the 88 gallon tank I'd love to know the measurements...
HOGAN Posted - Feb 21 2017 : 09:32:15
Thanks for the pix. My canvas attaches to a track on the top of the front of the arch, and water pools up behind it. Mine is the later year, with the thicker wing arch. They finally wised up and got rid of the wing-tips and went with a rounded arch. Mine also tilts forward when at the dock. I added a couple of spacers, which helped but I need more to tilt it backward. Then I'll have to tilt my radar forward to compensate.

My waste tank is centerline under the salon floor, it holds 88 gallons. I opened up the space under the floor on the starboard side, and have tons of storage down there now.
Audrey II Posted - Feb 14 2017 : 22:49:22
I believe you can fit an 88 or so gallon I somehow recall that is what most have at least in this ball park. I'm the odd ball with two 55s. I also have two 55 water tanks the flank the center line and have a leveler hose to keep them even. I believe you have both water and waste in the center and storage on the sides.
Johnfrmcal Posted - Feb 14 2017 : 18:03:37
I do have extra room in the holding tank compartment. I'm guessing I easily have another foot or more. I could easily go to 70 gallons just by replacing the tank. We haven't really come close to filling it up yet...even during Fleet Week last year, we had the two of us on the boat for 7 days, and then for 4 additional days we had 4 on the boat. I really can't imagine needing 100 gallons but hey, more is better. Especially when it involves poop LOL.
Audrey II Posted - Feb 14 2017 : 10:29:02
I have two 55 gallon tanks each bathroom has it's own tank they are not connected but they both pump out the same pump out with the use of a Y valve.
You may be able to piggy back a second second tank to add capacity to the existing tank.

Johnfrmcal Posted - Feb 14 2017 : 01:14:51
Also, to revisit a comment that John M made back in 2013, I had all my hatches opened up this past weekend and my waste tank is as he said his was…by measurement, it's 55 gallons. I measured it as 40" x 16" x 20". Plus the fact that it has Sealand 4055 stamped into it pretty much confirms it's 55 gallons. We've never filled it up but it would be nice if it had the 88 or 100 that the manual says it should have.
oregonparts Posted - Feb 13 2017 : 22:30:25
I have noticed they use a different wing on the later Trojans. My neighbors is a 99 and his wing is thicker and tilts the opposite direction than mine and gives him a problem with water that mine does not have.
Johnfrmcal Posted - Feb 10 2017 : 16:03:34
Here are the pics of the canvas. Sorry it took so long. I took these pictures this morning, after another pretty wicked rain storm last night. We've been getting plenty of these lately, and the inside of the boat is dry as a bone. Not a drop anywhere. I'm really happy with it.

Here's a general shot to show how all the panels come together at the radar arch.

Here are some close-ups around the ends of the radar arch and you can see the tracks that the canvas slides into on the radar arch. The tracks are caulked and there are some small beads of caulking around the radar arch ends just for good measure. I'm not sure they are entirely necessary at the radar arch ends, but I can see some small gaps where I would probably be getting some rain drops inside if it weren't caulked. But I don't think it would be anything like it was before even if it wasn't caulked...my countertop used to fill up and overflow with water and the Port side cocktail seating used to get drenched. Hope this helps.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Johnfrmcal Posted - Jan 26 2017 : 16:20:57
No the front bimini runs to a rail that is the entire length and is directly in the center (vertically) of the leading edge of the radar arch, and then the rear bimini (top of the camper canvas) runs to the exact same type of rail on the trailing edge of the radar arch. So basically, it doesn't run over or under the radar arch, each half runs TO the radar arch. I'll post pics.
HOGAN Posted - Jan 26 2017 : 15:52:58
So, does your canvas run under the arch?
Johnfrmcal Posted - Jan 26 2017 : 14:00:50
I will get some pics tomorrow and post them up. Water doesn't really "pool" on my arch, but then again I didn't shim mine so I guess the water just runs off the front. In any event, the water intrusion is solved. We had 45mph winds all night on Saturday with non-stop rain. Bone dry in the cockpit.
HOGAN Posted - Jan 26 2017 : 10:40:26
Can you guys post pix of your new canvas and the tracks? I need to get mine done and the constant leaking from the arch being tilted forward is driving me crazy.

Does water still pool up on the arch? I have tilted mine back a bit with spacers, but need to add a few more before it will run off the back, instead of pooling up.
odvar Posted - Jan 25 2017 : 13:26:30
I had a new top made last year, off white this time, love it, only use it in the summer when we stay on the boat for 3 months. I always had tracks on the arch, no leaks, this time the canvas guy talked me into tracks/slides for the aft hard plastic windows, works perfect! can slide one or 2 over the third one to open up or easy slide them off and store them on a shelf I made under the garage lid, totally out of the way.I also have just one bow, split in the middle, for the front canvas so I can take everything down in no time.
Johnfrmcal Posted - Jan 19 2017 : 16:02:53
I would be popping the cover off and cleaning the drains out this weekend but we are gonna get hammered with rain for the next several days. Dave, mine's a '98. The good news about all this rain is we just got all new canvas and I've been able to see how it performs and I've got the radar arch water thing beat. No more water in the cockpit. I went with Seamark on the top of the boat and regular Sunbrella for all the sides. I went with tracks on the front and rear of the radar arch, as well as the back side of the radar arch sides. I'm pretty happy that the water intrusion is solved because we put in all new upholstery last spring and that included remaking all of the seating structure in the rear cocktail seating since the water getting in from the radar arch ruined it after all those years.
jmeirhofer Posted - Jan 18 2017 : 23:56:32
FYI, those two helm drains just drain to the trough by your engine vents and those drain through the hull. :)

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.26 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com