BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 South Florida Boating Club
 Need some help on finding a place.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Anchor Management Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 12:10:44
Hey all you Flordians, I'm looking for a place on the East Coast that will serve a dual purpose. I want a home that offers both a country club for golf as well as a place for my boating. I did find a place called Harbour Ridge Golf and country club. It's a gated community with 2 courses and a marina. It looks great on the internet but that's as far as I have gotten. The one issue is that it's 40 miles north of Palm Beach. I was looking for something closer to airports and perhaps a little further south. Also, I'm not sure if there is much else around besides this community. I really would prefer the east coast as I would like to bring my boat down in the winter but not locked into this. Suggestions? Thanks.
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BJL Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 16:28:22
Jet Blue also flies non-stop from Westchester to West Palm. Several other airlines also fly non-stop from LGA and JFK to West Palm.
HOGAN Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 14:47:27
Jet Blue flies non-stop to Ft Myers and Tampa from Westchester.
Anchor Management Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 14:35:06
Important to me as well. I plan on leaving a car in Florida and taking a cab to the house. That is why i need to be realatively close to an airport and definately will only fly non stop.
mintregila Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 12:14:51
Just another thing to think about. Bruce touched on the airports.

Will you keep a car in FL? How will you get back and forth to the airport? Available non-stop flights.

First, keeping a car in FL is relatively inexpensive as you can put it on layup during long periods you are not there but you need a garage.

Second, if you are renting a car, no big deal to drive yourself to and from the airport. If you have a car and need transportation, this can get a little pricey if you are not nearby.

Third, I personally will not take any flight that requires a stop between NY and FL. Too many opportunities for delays and cancellations.

We shoot to go down once per month from October to May so airport convenience is important to us.
Capt. Bill1 Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 09:26:14
If you end up look on the West coast of FL check out Sarasota.

pdecat Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 08:35:08
What has surprised me is how often retired people move within FL. So your decision might as well focus on your near term desires and expect to move later as your needs and wants change.
Personally I don't care for SE FL. The bay is superb as is the access to the Bahamas but IMO everything else is like a warmer NY until you get to Miami which is another Latin American country altogether.
Since flights seem important FTL, MIA,TPA, and ORL are most likely to have non stops to NY.
Anchor Management Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 07:24:41
Thanks you all. I will certainly check it all out.
pdecat Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 07:14:58
Ft Meyers has heavy traffic both on and off the water but a lot of nice options in the area. The Isles YC people were very friendly in the past so that is an area to consider. St. Charles YC is a small community of newer places. All FCYC clubs allow reciprocity with free docking for one night. Since there are many YC in FL council there are a lot of places to easily go and most clubs do a lot of cruising. Naples waterfront is very $$$, Marco Island is boring. East of Marco you get into old FL.
traffic on many of the islands or their causways is terrible in season.
captchas Posted - Dec 02 2013 : 07:12:45
Well there is a slip available NOW on the Boynton Beach Spillway....
I don't know how long it would be available.

Good Luck!
Anchor Management Posted - Dec 01 2013 : 20:36:23
quote:
Originally posted by captchas

How far South ...Boynton Beach? How large is your
vessel?...

I would say on the East coast, I would not want to go much further north than Palm Beach. Boynton Beach would certainly be a possibility. I currently am boat less but looking in the 50' range. I suspect I would buy something smaller for the next 6 years and keep it in Florida until I retire and then would bring my bigger boat down for the winter months.
captchas Posted - Dec 01 2013 : 19:56:58
How far South ...Boynton Beach? How large is your
vessel?...
froggy3k Posted - Dec 01 2013 : 17:59:36
AM, I don't know your price range but if it's higher than mine (way higher!), you may want to look around Gasparilla IS. Between Naples and Ft Myers. There are also a couple of other really 'cool' places north of there. Venice comes to mind. Open water is the Gulf. Charlotte Harbor is really nice but somewhat tinted from the Tanic acid in the water. Good fishin' though. Max I think is 12' deepest in the channel. Usually around 6 if I remember right. Dont deviate if you draw more than 3' as it gets real shallow quickly, just like the rest of FL.
Oh and if you like Gasparilla, tell Harrison Ford and the Bush's we said hi! I don't think the Bush's came down this year but they usually do. No political motive, just nice to see a celebrity in town once in a while.
Anchor Management Posted - Nov 28 2013 : 12:39:09
Certainly pointing in that direction. It just doesn't seem worth it to pay all that money for a private club when there are so many good public courses. It's a nice option to be able to have your own cart in your garage and drive to the first tee but not at the costs I have researched. I just need to narrow down my search to a particular area where boating is great before I get a real estate agency involved. We go down a couple times every year and have always kept one eye open so I have some knowledge of what we are looking for. I do happen to like the area between Naples and Ft. Myers. Seems that it is not just open water which would bore me quickly. And it's far enough south where if I want to bring my boat down from NY, it's not out of the question.
pdecat Posted - Nov 28 2013 : 11:25:33
Indeed many golf courses here are having financial difficulty. There are probably too many and the cost of maintaining a private course exclusive to members is very high. Their future in many cases is uncertain.
Personally I would go for a water view with my own dock and several courses in the area or what ever it took to avoid required course payments of the threat of development.
CurrentSea Posted - Nov 27 2013 : 14:35:16
I have looked at admirals cove. The per month charge is a killer. Your paying for golf your not playing.
Your better off staying in a hotel that has golf when you want to go.

I would focus on finding a marina condo and not a marina golf condo.
Check out venetian islands in Miami.
pdecat Posted - Nov 27 2013 : 13:54:29
If you will consider west FL there are many options.

This place has golf and boating and is less amazing that Ocean reef club.
https://www.pyccgolf.com/

If you are willing to drive a bit to golf the city of St. Pete has much to offer. A bit cloudy today but probably better than NY.

http://www.stpete.org/webcam/
The live cam seems to get stuck from time to time, just wait a bit.
Tampa airport is about 30 minutes away.

Anchor Management Posted - Nov 27 2013 : 08:01:52
Will definately look into it. Thanks for helping.
waveform Posted - Nov 26 2013 : 18:25:17
Consider Vero Beach. We have quite a few communities with golf and marina, so you have choices. Lots of cultural activities and great dining for a small place. It is about an hour from West Palm airport and about an hour and 15 min. from Orlando airport.
NEWFREEDOM Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 16:01:56
Jonathan's Landing & Admiral's Cove, both located in Jupiter, Fl
Anchor Management Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 13:18:09
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

With the boats you are considering who needs a home?

Think I can make it on my 16' Sailfish?
Anchor Management Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 12:57:51
Looks like an amazing place. Perhaps a little too amazing for my blood. Could not see home prices but would imagine they are substantial but will do some more research. Thanks.
Audrey II Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 12:53:26
With the boats you are considering who needs a home?
pdecat Posted - Nov 24 2013 : 12:21:04
If you want to start at the top:

http://www.oceanreef.com/

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com