BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Moriches 2017

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sierra Posted - May 05 2017 : 13:40:11
From the first May, 2017 LNM. Sounds familiar.

Worsening shoaling conditions have been reported at the entrance to Moriches Inlet. It is considered unsafe for mariners to attempt to navigate this inlet at any time. Buoys are no longer maintained in this inlet. Shoaling has also been reported in Moriches Bay along the Long Island Intracoastal Waterway in the vicinity of Moriches Bay Buoys 17,18, 21, 26, 27, 28 and 29 extending the entire width of the channel at any tide level. The area from Buoy 17 to 21 is navigable only at high tide. The most severe area of shoaling can be found between buoys 26 and 27 and is less than 3 ft. Shoaling is also reported in the vicinity of Moriches Inlet East Cut Buoys 3E and 5E. Mariners should be aware that the Aids to Navigation in these areas have been deemed unreliable due to shoaling and mariners are advised to seek alternate routes.
50   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Devocean35 Posted - Feb 05 2018 : 13:23:24
From USCG. Latest update on
Moriches Bay Shoaling:
Worsening shoaling conditions are being experienced at the entrance to Moriches Inlet and Moriches Bay. It is considered unsafe for mariners to attempt to navigate Moriches Inlet at any time. Buoys are no longer maintained in the inlet. Severe shoaling is also in Moriches Bay along the Long Island Intracoastal Waterway north of Moriches Inlet and Bird Island in the vicinity of Moriches Bay Buoys 26, 27, 28 and 29 extending the entire width of the channel at any tide level. The most severe area of shoaling can be found between buoys 26 and 27 and is less than 3 ft.

Shoaling is also reported in the vicinity of Moriches Inlet East Cut Buoys 3E and 5E. Mariners should be aware that the Aids to Navigation in these areas have been deemed unreliable due to shoaling and mariners are advised to seek alternate routes.

Because of the severe conditions in Moriches Bay the U.S. Coast Guard is considering making the following change to Aids to Navigation:
ESTABLISH the following aids, each aid will be lateral red or green west of the most severe shoaling north of Bird Island (positions are approximate (PA) and are subject to change).
Hart Cove Buoy 1 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.036N 072-44.547W
Hart Cove Buoy 2 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.323N 072-44.295W
Hart Cove Buoy 3 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.401N 072-44.329W
Hart Cove Buoy 5 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.471N 072-44.343W
Hart Cove Buoy 7 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.559N 072-44.373W
Hart Cove Buoy 8 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.677N 072-44.308W
Hart Cove Buoy 9 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.837N 072-43.963W
Hart Cove Buoy 10 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.750N 072-44.058W
Hart Cove Buoy 12 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.792N 072-43.717W
Hart Cove Buoy 14 (LLNR To be assigned) in (PA) 40-47.581N 072-43.161W

Interested Mariners are strongly encouraged to comment on this proposal in writing, either personally or through their organization. All comments will be carefully considered and are requested prior to 16 March 2018 to complete the process. In order to most effectively consider your feedback and improve the data collection, when responding to this proposal, please include size and type of vessel, recreational or commercial, and distance from aid that you start looking for it, and if and how you use the signal. Please do not call the Coast Guard via telephone or other means, only written responses to this proposal will be accepted. Refer to Project No. 01-18-001. E-mail can be sent to: D01-SMB-DPWPublicCommentsrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tuscg.mil . (First District LNM Week 04/2018)
Robski97 Posted - Sep 08 2017 : 08:31:52
Well ull only see me back for winter... I'm done with the sandbox....and the resident only bull****

Rob
adulik Posted - Sep 07 2017 : 16:14:08
I live in Copiague on the water. It's a super location except for getting out of the bay with a large vessel. It's frustrating to be almost land locked when there is such great cruising outside of the bay. Oh well. We are also thinking of boating alternatives, but thank goodness for the time being for the northern passage.
CurrentSea Posted - Sep 07 2017 : 07:45:00
When I look at that chart and I see all the 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 marks, I say to myself "WTF".
I live on the North Shore on a island surrounded by water.
Why do I choose to boat where there is no freaking water!
I can understand those that live on south shore or on the water, but it's really dumb for me.
After a month of deep blue water boating, I am thinking I am done with south shore and that is exactly why I tried riverhead.

adulik Posted - Sep 06 2017 : 22:01:17
I went through Tuesday morning at high tide returning from our month in Maine. I saved the track when I followed Tow Boat east at the end of July. I called Tow Boat on Monday to see if there were any changes. I was told NO and if I followed my track in reverse everything would be fine. And it was. Nevertheless less I had a lot of apprehension. I must thank Tow Boat for their guidance and support
CurrentSea Posted - Sep 06 2017 : 12:25:53
We went thru Monday over 2 hours past high tide.
No issues. Moriches has plenty of water, not sure what all the whining is.
It was also a west wind. Sea tow guided us.

We did get hammered in the sound coming back from Old Saybrook.
Not bad, but was 6' west swell and since we were heading southeast, it was easy to ride the waves with boat and keep the ride smooth, Hammered part was plum gut, it was a mess. My boat went vertical on a wave as I could get no forward momentum once it came off plane.

Anyway, we are home from Riverhead and our many trips. Was a great month!
Here is my path, little wiggle was because we started to go without seatow and then he made us come closer to him. So you really want to head to that channel in Seatuck cove, then head southwest.

JVM225 Posted - Aug 24 2017 : 13:08:41
Now that I have a bigger boat I'm starting to think that the crowded narrow channels and shallow depths make the South Shore not such a great place for bigger boats. We're not really beach people, the bugs at Watch Hill are killer, not crazy about Sailor's Haven, and the typical destinations down here are starting to get boring. Restaurants with narrow slips and shallow approaches are more the norm down here. Constantly sweating tides and the depth finder is gettting old. Every time I go through the north end of the Amityville Cut my sphincter spasms.
Owning the property I dock at is a double edged sword. It's great from an economic standpoint, not to mention the beauty of being my own dock master and 7.5 miles from home, but the downside is that it makes me reluctant to move to the North Shore. I've been thinking of renting my dock to someone for a season and putting those funds towards something up north somewhere between Oyster Bay and Huntington.
I'd never sell the property down on the South Shore because I've got two kids who are in to boating, and some day when the maintenance gets to be too much I may want to downsize myself, but it sure would be nice to have a change of scenery for a while.
Robski97 Posted - Aug 24 2017 : 10:46:33
Dave,
Try and get slips in Mystic seaport . Ull love it

Rob
CurrentSea Posted - Aug 24 2017 : 08:46:28
First weekend - Arrived on Sunday - hung out.
Second weekend - Block Island
Third weekend - Rafted up with friends off of Robins island, then next day day trip to Greenport
Fourth weekend - Essex, CT
Fifth weekend - coming up - Old Saybrook, Ct
Last weekend - Labor day - leaving midweek and probably heading to Mystic, CT then home to Lindenhurst.

I think we used the time well (1 month) and I am happy. You can't look at it from a dollar view as you won't do it. For me it was a taste of having boat somewhere other than south shore.

To be honest at this point, I am convinced I won't retire on the south shore. It's either peconic or CT. CT has some real nice rivers, homes and docks. I bought a big slip in AYC to retire in and now I am thinking that won't happen there.

dcwjd Posted - Aug 23 2017 : 15:11:52
What do you do on a typical weekend out east in say Riverhead where you guy's are or Aquebogue at Larrys Lighthouse Marina? Do you have to travel to Montauk or Block Island every weekend from there to swim in the ocean?
CurrentSea Posted - Aug 23 2017 : 11:12:24
Check out great Gun in Moriches.
Never been there and you may have to be a resident.
Remember most town docks discriminate against non town residents.
Since this is a form a discrimination, I plan to write the ACLU, Chuck Schumer, and the confederate statue removal committee to have the policy changed!

JVM225 Posted - Aug 23 2017 : 10:05:45
Getting tired of the sand box and same old destinations too.
dcwjd Posted - Aug 23 2017 : 09:59:12
That's not free during the week and 10 bucks on a weekend like Moses is.
Dani-Lu Posted - Aug 22 2017 : 22:55:57
Bed bath and tennis club. Beach and pool across dune road from the marina.
dcwjd Posted - Aug 22 2017 : 13:50:52
Are there any docks out their where u can dock on the bayside and then walk over to the ocean like at Robert Moses?
CurrentSea Posted - Aug 21 2017 : 09:27:13
Channels shift over the winter. So it makes sense to move buoys accordingly.
I would love to know if there is any science in buoy positioning or is it by eye?
I noticed this year they changed the buoys for Lindy cut and North channel.

Either way, I have been out in peconic since 7/30 and I think I may be done with the giant sandbox.
I do love Fire Island, the ocean, etc but my boat hates weed and with pods, hates low water.
Add in the winds and all the idiots and it makes more and more sense.

This was a test to see how the commute was and how we liked it overall and I am thinking I like it.
Not sure I will do the whole season but I may.

If anyone is looking for a slip in AYC, I have slips for rent and sale!!

Robski97 Posted - Aug 21 2017 : 07:57:39
Something has to be done ... Spending hundreds of thousands to see it gone in a season is stupid ....

Rob
Robski97 Posted - Aug 21 2017 : 07:55:47
Love Dean..... Great guy !

Rob
Dani-Lu Posted - Aug 18 2017 : 00:28:47
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

Why won't the town add buoy's in the right spots?
I understand the coast guard controls the north channel but some towns add buoys on cuts.
I think town of brookhaven or whomever owns this area should add some buoys.
If I could get people to chip in I would drop some damn buoys to mark it. It is not rocket science.
Take small boat, find channel, tie cinderblock to red or green anything and drop it.

Sheesh, you should see the channel coming out of Tuckerton, NJ. It is trees in cement blocks with white t-shirt tied to it!

Mark something - don't just give up and walk away.

I am writing a letter - just need to know to whom!

Dave,

Congressman Lee Zeldin, is the right guy. He is the congressman that recently met with Trump regarding the LI gangs. Carl at Sea Tow says Lee has been trying to get the east/west channel dredged with no luck. Maybe he is fighting the wrong fight because the coast guard knows the dredging will not last long due to the strong current in that area.

Maybe we need to make him aware of the northern shoe horn channel. And let him know this channel is more stable due to it being far away from the inlet current. All they have to do is drop markers. I bet Sea Tow would do it for them at a reasonable price, assuming tney are insured for this type of work. Jeez, we can do it. I have the track on my GPS from following Sea Tow in July.

Jeff
dcwjd Posted - Aug 17 2017 : 17:50:54
quote:
Originally posted by Robski97

Walter, were do u keep the boat ?

Rob

I keep the boat at C and D marine in Copiague. Your buddy Dean from Waves and Wheels does the cleaning!
CurrentSea Posted - Aug 17 2017 : 12:52:53
Why won't the town add buoy's in the right spots?
I understand the coast guard controls the north channel but some towns add buoys on cuts.
I think town of brookhaven or whomever owns this area should add some buoys.
If I could get people to chip in I would drop some damn buoys to mark it. It is not rocket science.
Take small boat, find channel, tie cinderblock to red or green anything and drop it.

Sheesh, you should see the channel coming out of Tuckerton, NJ. It is trees in cement blocks with white t-shirt tied to it!

Mark something - don't just give up and walk away.

I am writing a letter - just need to know to whom!

Robski97 Posted - Aug 17 2017 : 08:21:25
Walter, were do u keep the boat ?

Rob
dcwjd Posted - Aug 16 2017 : 17:39:09
Yes there is...I went through with boatus leading the way on Sunday about an hour before high tide. Makes no sense why it isn't marked. I was stressing about getting back from out East all week knowing the ocean wasn't going to work for me. Lowest I saw was one spot at 4.5 feet. For the most part it was 6.5 feet. Actually boatus and seatow were waiting for me at buoy 30 to lead me through back west. They were a huge help.
Robski97 Posted - Aug 15 2017 : 09:32:37
SO According to both BoatUS and seatow there is a viable option to transit Moriches at any tide. The coast guard will not mark the new channel. Instead spending millions to try and keep a channel that doesn't want to be ..... CRAZY !

Rob
dcwjd Posted - Aug 12 2017 : 08:55:04
Is anyone heading back West through Moriches tomorrow that would let me follow them through the north unmarked channel? I went through at high tide heading East and just followed 26 and 27 directly East and lightly hit bottom. I do not want to risk it again. Ocean is going to be 5 feet tomorrow so with a 6 year old onboard that's out. I can call seatow or boatus but if they are occupied on a tow I'm out of luck. High tide is 12:30 ish tomorrow. Any estimate on when I should leave Greenport to time the high tide?
dcwjd Posted - Aug 05 2017 : 17:40:51
I'm going through tomorrow at 7:30 am high tide.Did you call them and then follow them through? He said if I go slow I can make it through 26 and 27 without doing the unmarked course. I had a reservation in Montauk today but the ocean was a no go and I missed high tide by that point so I need to make it out there tomorrow.
Priceless Posted - Aug 04 2017 : 05:56:25
Traveled through Moriches Bay with much help from Tow Boat. Caught high tide at 5:30 pm. North passage uncharted route. Not a problem..
jeff_c Posted - Aug 03 2017 : 05:55:01
Here's another one (confirming the above) that someone shared with me after transiting on a 50' : https://www.dropbox.com/s/pu3e37gwu5cgphb/File%20Aug%2003%2C%205%2050%2043%20AM.png?dl=0
Dani-Lu Posted - Aug 02 2017 : 23:36:50
Screen shot of Moriches route in Garmin Blue Chart app on ipad:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0stzo6edpl3j31/File%20Aug%2002%2C%2011%2031%2025%20PM.png?dl=0

Unfortunately I don't know how to export the route.

signature27 Posted - Jul 31 2017 : 15:59:32
any chance of getting a track posted here?
adulik Posted - Jul 30 2017 : 18:55:23
You have got to love TowBoat Moriches. Offshore conditions were not great. Went inshore and with the guidance of TowBoat leading us it was a no brainer. We met at bouy 15 and were led south across the face of the inlet up to the unmarked NE passage towards Havens Pt. They then led us back to bouy 30 so we could continue our eastern transit. I draw 4.5 feet and the skinniest water I saw was briefly 6.5 feet. TowBoat Moriches has my support.
kwmeyer13 Posted - Jul 23 2017 : 16:11:43
Best of Luck,stay safe, and enjoy the ride.
adulik Posted - Jul 23 2017 : 07:29:29
Kevin, thanks and that's the plan. The ocean is always more weather dependent than the inshore route but it is our best choice.
Dani-Lu Posted - Jul 22 2017 : 00:21:33
quote:
Originally posted by kwmeyer13

Yeah, I meant left. Brain Freeze. #128540;

When you head south, you go to buoy 30.
kwmeyer13 Posted - Jul 21 2017 : 10:41:02
Yeah, I meant left. Brain Freeze. #128540;
CurrentSea Posted - Jul 21 2017 : 07:46:32
I got the file but could not do anything with it.
Couldn't even see it. Just looks like a yellow blob with a green line.

Is this the path where we left main channel, headed to Inlet, came around by inlet, and came back North?
I think I have that path.
The question is always what do you do when you come back to main channel?

Dani-Lu Posted - Jul 21 2017 : 01:16:40
quote:

adulik,
I have been in and out of F.I. inlet several times in the past few weeks and it's a bunt. Just stay between the buoys and you will have no problem what so ever even with a 4.5 draft and then you can just bang a right into Shinnecock, up through the lock and split the fork towards Massachusetts or round Montauk Point.
Good Luck whichever way you go,
Kevin

Agree, I went out the FI inlet last Friday and it was no problem. I was just told by my Dockmaster, to favor the red buoys in the FI inlet. If you don't time your passage through the FI Inlet, it can get snotty. I have had 6+ foot rollers coming at my bow. It was my fault, I did not check before hand and I went thru during the height of the Ebb against wind. All I could do was ride it out and once clear, the ocean was fine.
Dani-Lu Posted - Jul 21 2017 : 01:12:28
quote:

adulik,
I have been in and out of F.I. inlet several times in the past few weeks and it's a bunt. Just stay between the buoys and you will have no problem what so ever even with a 4.5 draft and then you can just bang a right into Shinnecock, up through the lock and split the fork towards Massachusetts or round Montauk Point.
Kevin

Agree, I went out the FI inlet last Friday and it was no problem. I was just told by my Dockmaster, to favor the red buoys in the FI inlet. If you don't time your passage through the FI Inlet, it can get snotty. I have had 6+ foot rollers coming at my bow. It was my fault, I did not check before hand and I went thru during the height of the Ebb against wind. All I could do was ride it out and once clear, the ocean was fine.
Dani-Lu Posted - Jul 21 2017 : 01:04:11
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

Email me as well, daverichter at hotmail dot com

We are going thru 7/28
I have garmin blue chart, perhaps I can import it?

Thanks.

Dave, Just emailed you the track. Go at Coast Guard high tide!

Good luck!

Jeff
CurrentSea Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 21:25:33
Bang a right into Shinnecock? I think you mean left.

If you are heading to Maine, I would just stay ocean and go around Montauk and beeline unless you need fuel, then I would come in at Montauk to fuel up! If ocean is good, keep going!

kwmeyer13 Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 21:18:15
adulik,
Kevin
adulik Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 16:27:57
Current Sea, we are heading east on the 29th on our way to Maine. I draw 4.5 feet. I've always preferred staying in sore instead of going out FI inlet. Tow boat has indicated they could lead me through the northern approach if they have a boat available at high tide. Right now I'm planning on an ocean run, but that depends upon conditions. Please post your experience on the 28th. I also use Garmin Blue Chart.
adulik Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 16:21:12
Good to know art.dulik at gmail.com
CurrentSea Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 14:00:15
Email me as well, daverichter at hotmail dot com

We are going thru 7/28
I have garmin blue chart, perhaps I can import it?

Thanks.
ronp Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 10:42:06
Type it as "name at xyz.com". The forum software reacts to the at sign to prevent spam or something.
adulik Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 06:04:59
Something is screwy. I typed in proper address but it comes up goblygook
adulik Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 06:03:43
Don't know what happened to my email address but here is the correct one art.dulikrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tgmail.com
adulik Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 05:55:17
Dani-Lu,
Could you email it to me also ? Art.dulikrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tgmail.com. Thanks
Dani-Lu Posted - Jul 20 2017 : 00:04:02
I draw 40". Jeff, I don't know how to attach a pic, but I can email it. Also, I have the track in Garmin Blue Chart that I can email as well.
adulik Posted - Jul 16 2017 : 23:26:26
Dani-Lu what do you draw ?

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com