BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Paint issue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kbeachy46 Posted - Jan 28 2018 : 22:08:10
My 2 year old, port side, Jade Mist Green Awlgrip paint job has several small vertical cracks approximately 1/4" in length from roughly midship to the stern.
this custom downeast cruiser was originally painted in in 1993 and the paint held up very well for more than 20 years. In 2015 I had a couple of unsightly surface scrapes on the port side and was planning to have those localized areas repaired. A reputable yard recommended that the whole side should be re-painted since the paint was starting to fade. The starboard side and stern still appeared OK so I agreed they would paint just the starboard side from gunwale to waterline. Scope of work is shown below:
PREPARE, PRIME AND PAINT WITH AWLGRIP THE
PORT SIDE OF VESSEL. SCOPE OF WORK TO
INCLUDE: 1) SAND, PORT SIDE; 2) REPAIR
GOUGES, SCRATCHES AND SURFACE; 3) MASK UP
ENTIRE VESSEL; 4) SPRAY 3 COATS EPOXY
PRIMER; 5) SAND PRIMER; 6) REMOVE MASKING, REMASK FOR FINAL PAINT; 7) SPRAY 3 COATS
AWLGRIP JADE GREEN WITH FINAL COAT 80%
CLEAR, 20% COLOR; 8) REMOVE MASKING, DETAIL
JOB;

I did not expect this expensive paintwork to develop small cracks in only 2 years. When discussed with the yard and paint technician there were many references to old deteriorating fiberglass. We have had two factory reps inspect with no real explanation of what the cause is. Incredibly one rep, not with Awlgrip, claims to have experienced this on his own boat. I have a hard time believing the fiberglass is the problem when the starboard side and stern have absolutely no signs of this sort of cracking. The topside areas, painted and unpainted, show now signs of fiberglass or paint cracking at all. The job was granted based on the reputation of the yard and their paint technician, not price. Is there a paint guru out there that might be able to offer an explanation of the cause? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pdecat Posted - Jan 29 2018 : 10:09:02
The small cracks you describe sound like clear coat failure. I am not an Awlgrip expert but have done other spray painting and surface failure is often a compatibility issue with the primer or topcoat primer prep.

Modern coating application is a highly technical process.Primer, topcoat, solvents and all chemicals from the same maker. though more expensive, always produced the best results for me.
See cracking causes here:

https://www.sherwin-automotive.com/pdf/Troubleshooting_Guide_English_PDF.pdf

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com