BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 124 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 galvanic isolator

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mfox1949 Posted - Feb 08 2018 : 13:59:15
I am trying to install a galvanic isolator in my Carver 42. What would be a good location to intercept the shore power ground
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pdecat Posted - Feb 17 2018 : 14:27:06
No reply since 2/8. seems the OP is less interested that the folks here
easttnboater Posted - Feb 16 2018 : 15:54:48
quote:
Originally posted by walterv

When they fail, you have no shore power. Power comes into the boat to a big transformer, that transformer passes power to another transformer (induction, no physical hardwire connection) if it stops working, you have no shore power.

That would be an isolation transformer, not a galvanic isolator - correct?
JVM225 Posted - Feb 15 2018 : 17:03:33
Hereís a link to a simple explanation of what they do and how to test them. It notes the fact that the older ones are hard to test and the newer ones are now required to be self testing:

http://www.pkys.com/FAQ/galvanic.htm
walterv Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 19:29:24
When they fail, you have no shore power. Power comes into the boat to a big transformer, that transformer passes power to another transformer (induction, no physical hardwire connection) if it stops working, you have no shore power.
32carv Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 14:25:14
Both my Carvers had them underneath the electrical panels.
Jim
JVM225 Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 12:50:28
There is a way to test them with a multimeter once you get to it and pull it out. You can probably find something on YouTube that will walk you through it. Itís been a while since I looked in to them. The one thing I remember reading about them is that the newer ones will default to the open position if they fail so that if a Short happens and the electric has to escape out through the ground it can. I donít think the older ones had that safety feature.
Thatís why I swapped mine out.
mcarrigan Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 12:16:02
How do you know if it's working or if there are any problems? Any way to test them? Mines buried behind my electrical panel also and it's not something I have ever checked.
walterv Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 10:53:19
On my 45C Silverton it is installed under the cockpit up on a shelf towards the stern of the boat. Mine is very large and heavy. Mine is also about three feet or so from where the shore power connector is on the boat. Wherever you put it, try not to bury it so you can service it if you have a problem.
pdecat Posted - Feb 08 2018 : 15:18:22
Pull your power panel and look behind it. You probably have one there.
JVM225 Posted - Feb 08 2018 : 14:08:07
Donít know your particular boat but Iíve replaced them on my Sea Rays and they are usually hidden by the factory behind a panel very close to the shore power inlet. Iíd be surprised if your boat doesnít already have one stashed away someplace in-line on the ground between your inlet and 110 panel.
Getting in behind that inlet is also a good time to inspect the wires and make sure you have good clean copper back there.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com