BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 59 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: dentray ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 a random shore power question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
williamabernathy Posted - Feb 08 2018 : 20:11:02
Hi, All,

Can anyone tell me if shore power receptacles (boat or dock side) are supposed to be oriented a certain way, such as ground at 12 o'clock or ground at 6 o'clock, anything like that? I am guessing there is an industry standard, but I can't recall how mine are oriented.

Many thanks for your help.

V/R
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
williamabernathy Posted - Feb 11 2018 : 18:05:25
I just checked out web sites for Marinco and that online cartage company in Connecticut, and this is what I found (all 30 amp, L5-30):

(1) Furrion, boat side assembly w/cover (male prongs) -- ground at 4 o'clock
(2) Marinco, boat side assembly w/cover (male prongs) -- ground at 7 o'clock
(3) Marinco, dock side assembly w/cover (female receptacle) -- ground at 7 o'clock
(4) Marinco, dock side, bare receptacle only w/o assembly (female receptacle) -- ground at 12 o'clock (printed text on the receptacle would orient it to 12 o'clock, but I suppose it could go at 6 o'clock, too)
(5) WM video that showed twin 30 amp dockside receptacles' grounds at 3 o'clock (just like the pictures in this thread)
(6) A YouTube video that showed twin 30s on the dock with both grounds at 12 o'clock

Dang. Now I'm really puzzled. (And I guess I could have done this search before posting my original question. Pardon me for not having done so.)

I do appreciate everyone's input.

MichaelNJ Posted - Feb 11 2018 : 17:43:24
Commercial 20A receptacles are usually ground up for the reason that Mike mentioned. Not only would something hit the hot, it could also bridge hot and neutral causing a short.
JoLin Posted - Feb 10 2018 : 22:22:30
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

You do raise a good question. I have never seen any definition of how the sockets should be oriented but have always followed the example of the drawings. I do note that the 15/20A three prong plug common in homes is opposite the three prong shown on the drawing above.

3 years ago I installed a complete 30-amp circuit in my boat to power the A/C that I also installed. I used that (or a similar) pictorial to orient the wires. I've had no issues with power or reverse polarity at any of the 7 or 8 different marinas I've hooked up to since, using both 30-amp outlets and a 50-amp outlet with a splitter. I'll also note tht the old exising 30-amp circuit on the boat was wired up the same way.

Net-net, I believe that there IS a standard, and it's shown in that pic.
mdoherty Posted - Feb 10 2018 : 13:33:43
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

You do raise a good question. I have never seen any definition of how the sockets should be oriented but have always followed the example of the drawings. I do note that the 15/20A three prong plug common in homes is opposite the three prong shown on the drawing above.

The home electrical code recently changed from ground down to ground up, reasoning if something fell onto a loose plug it should hit ground before live.
pdecat Posted - Feb 10 2018 : 13:03:09
williamabernathy Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 22:43:46
Michael,

Yep, I've seen that diagram, which is similar to Figure 12 in ABYC E-11. I'm still puzzling whether these show the industry standard for receptacles (for 30a / L5-30) or if that's just how they happened to be shown in those diagrams for no particular reason.

I do appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

MichaelNJ Posted - Feb 09 2018 : 09:45:20
Here's a guideline

https://www.21cii.com/ITStudio/Content/Appendix/Plug%20&%20Power%20Guide.htm

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com