BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Documentation - state registration question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cwms Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 10:47:56
OK, we all know that documented boats do not have state numbers on the bow.
CG Doc Center FAQ page says that states can require boats to be registered and affix state sticker, but not state numbers.

Is there any CG regulation that says a boater is prohibited from putting state numbers on the bow? Only thing I see is the state cannot require it.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PascalG Posted - Feb 15 2018 : 08:47:48
Search the relevant CFR available on line.... i dont feel like doing it, that language usually gives me headaches :)
cwms Posted - Feb 15 2018 : 08:33:02
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

As for a requirement to remove any state registration numbers/letters when boats are documented , FWIW I do see that BOAT/U.S. advises that is the case in Pascal's link:
"When a vessel becomes federally Documented, the State Registration Numbers and Letters must be removed. "
https://www.boatus.com/boatgraphics/uscg-requirements.asp

Yes, Pascal's link is good to see but I was hoping to see something in writing from the CG.

Thanks guys.
Sandy Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 22:32:24
My apologies , Gene. Right you are , same thing.

Somehow I managed to gloss over the "AN EXCEPTION to the 'name on each side of the bow' requirement is made for vessels documented for recreational use only" in your helpful quote.

As for a requirement to remove any state registration numbers/letters when boats are documented , FWIW I do see that BOAT/U.S. advises that is the case in Pascal's link:
"When a vessel becomes federally Documented, the State Registration Numbers and Letters must be removed. "
Good Grief Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 13:06:27
Sandy - I think we said the same thing. . . ! However, no place in your cite (or mine) is there an explicit requirement NOT to show State Reg numbers. We're still awaiting NC. What say you, Boson??

Doc - I had that problem - NY will issue a title to a documented boat, but on notification will acknowledge the error and take it back. For us, NY issued a title and unique Reg numbers (e.g., NY 1234 AB) to our documented boat. I had to mail proof of Documentation, the original reg and the reg stickers (which had to be gingerly removed from the hull) to NYDMV w/ a letter of explanation. They in turn, issued a new reg (w/ new stickers) with the documentation number where the NY1234AB number would be. So NY boats w/ Documentation AND a Title need to return the title . . ..

From what I hear NJ requires a State title be issued for all recreational power vessels, documented or not.
Gregory S Posted - Feb 14 2018 : 09:52:35
Also, some states ( New York is apparently one) are issuing state titles to federally documented vessels which is not permitted according to federal law.
Sandy Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 21:35:59
Gene- according to the info posted on the USCG doc site, documented vessels must display name and hailing port somewhere clearly visible on the exterior hull, but it is only for documented commercial vessels that name and hailing port MUST be on the stern AND the name displayed on both port & starboard sides of the bow.
Minimum 4" high. Hailing port must include state, territory or U.S. possession.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Prevention-Policy-CG-5P/Inspections-Compliance-CG-5PC-/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center/National-Vessel-Documentation-Center-FAQ/#anchor12

As previously mentioned, besides mandate to remove any state registration "numbers" , the states regulate whether registration and display of sticker is required.
Good Grief Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 15:59:22
Let's see what Mike comes up with. Here's my non-attorney non-LEO $0.02 -

46 CFR 67 is the Documentation part of Federal law. 46CFR67.331 says, "The owner of a documented vessel shall not permit the operation of that vessel unless it is marked in accordance with Subpart I of this part." Subpart I (Marking Requirements for Vessel Documentation) talks about Official number and name/hailing port marking; no mention of state registration numbers. Seems that Documented vessels are required to have the name on both sides of the bow and the stern, with hailing port on the stern (46CFR67.123(a)). IMHO state reg numbers would interfere with this requirement - so no state numbers on documented vessels. AN EXCEPTION to the 'name on each side of the bow' requirement is made for vessels documentated for recreational use only (46CFR67.123(c)).

Like I said, $0.02.
PascalG Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 15:51:19
But... since some states and jurisdictions are known to ignore the federal laws they don't like (immigration and pot)... some overzealous local LEOs could ignore that one too :)
November Charlie Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 14:20:52
I can find the cite tomorrow, but there is actual regulation, and it is a “writeable” violation to display state registration numbers on a documented vessel.
PascalG Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 14:11:29
Yeah the sticker is a different story. We re talking state numbers here
cwms Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 13:28:24
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

NY requires a state registration sticker, even if the boat is documented

I think that is true with all states except for the few that don't require documented boats to be registered. VA does not. Here it is optional.
HOGAN Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 13:02:47
NY requires a state registration sticker, even if the boat is documented
cwms Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 12:15:16
Thanks Pascal
PascalG Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 11:32:24
This is just a BoatUS link but have read the actual CFR.

cwms Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 11:22:55
I'd love to see it if you find. I'm sure there is a regulation...I've just never seen it in writing, beyond the FAQ page.
Thanks,
PascalG Posted - Feb 13 2018 : 11:01:40
Yes I don't have the link handy but there is a CFR which specifically prohibit affixing state numbers to a doc'd vessel

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com