BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 USCG documentation is could be for 5 years

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abalmuth Posted - Dec 06 2018 : 08:50:45
"A bill that would require the Coast Guard to offer 5-year vessel documentation renewal is on its way to the President's desk and is extremely likely to become law – a great benefit for active cruisers (funding the Coast Guard is good for boaters, too). From a press release:"
https://www.waterwayguide.com/latest-news/news/6107/bill-passes-congress-allowing-5-year-uscg-documentation
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robski97 Posted - Dec 23 2018 : 08:25:20
LOL agreed

Rob
abalmuth Posted - Dec 19 2018 : 10:19:20
quote:
Originally posted by Robski97

FINALLY., but if u read it . its not implemented yet … have to love the government

Rob

Shakespeare was wrong, it’s not ‘The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers" it should be: ‘The first thing we do, let's kill all the politicians"
Robski97 Posted - Dec 19 2018 : 09:02:31
FINALLY., but if u read it . its not implemented yet … have to love the government

Rob
abalmuth Posted - Dec 18 2018 : 10:10:55
Well i think it's now real:
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2228fc5?fbclid=IwAR3-iqOW-P_KeWrgzuAYHKwfFsvzEC_TxcophVz19WClOrOjh82y61LgLtE
Robski97 Posted - Dec 11 2018 : 08:04:27
i wouldn't be surprised if it passed and website wasn't updated. Christ u go to DMV and they will still give u a regular drivers lic that sorta useless in a year or two.
So nothing surprises me

Rob
Robyns Nest Posted - Dec 10 2018 : 22:43:26
My renewal just came in, same as last year, one year at a time.
Mike_R Posted - Dec 10 2018 : 15:02:34
From www.dco.uscg.mil

HOW LONG IS THE CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION VALID?
A Certificate of Documentation is valid for one year from the date of issue, providing there are NO CHANGES other than a change of owner's address. The Certificate must be renewed on an annual basis. Even though it is up to the owner to assure the document does not expire, the Coast Guard will send a Notice of Renewal to the managing owner approximately 45 days prior to expiration. See the instruction letter Renewal of Certificate of Documentation elsewhere at this site regarding renewal procedures.
cwms Posted - Dec 08 2018 : 07:40:01
Pretty sure you can only renew for 1 year on the CG website. Beware of the scammers. I got burned a few years ago
Sandy Posted - Dec 08 2018 : 03:20:44
Just looked at one of the non-official doc renewal service websites , which says it will renew your unexpired vessel certificate of documentation for $75 /yr from 1 to 5 yrs for up to $300.

Oddly , if that 5 yr bill was passed a while back, the official USCG vessel documentation center is still indicating renewal is just for 1 yr at $26, but that information and fee schedule is still dated 2014. One would think that woud be updated if changed to reflect new law, no?

My boat is just state registered only so I don't deal with documentation.
Has anyone here renewed for more than 1 yr at a time without going through one of the extra-fee non-official services?
CurrentSea Posted - Dec 07 2018 : 16:22:59
Just be aware if you a 5 year renewal from some company that looks real.
Not going to post their website but there is a a company that will mail you an official looking for to renew about 2 months before its due.
They will even have a very official sounding and looking website.
It is a SCAM!
gcolton Posted - Dec 07 2018 : 07:00:41
The referenced article says that it had already passed Senate and House. Wikipedia says it was signed into law.

George
cwms Posted - Dec 06 2018 : 17:11:54
I’m Guessing it didn’t pass
Sandy Posted - Dec 06 2018 : 15:28:16
That article was from 2016 relating to the 2015 proposal. Do you know if anything changed after that?
JVM225 Posted - Dec 06 2018 : 09:29:20
That would be great!

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com