BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 205 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Boarded already

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Robski97 Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 10:44:55
Took my 2nd shake down cruise. Ran to the Wantagh 2 and back. In the 5 mph zone of nicks point I see the CG short beach inflatable hauling ass tru the marsh coming from the meadowbrook side. He's flying … cuts across by nicks point guess who they pull over??? Me. Boater safety check. The guys were nice as heck. I asked to be boarded at my marina .They said no problem. They went tru everything … a few discussions about my strobe that takes the place of flares. They say their not compliant. The label on it clearly says CG approved. Another discussion about my throw ring being in the cabin. I explained and showed the boats still in boxes. and it usually sits behind my seat with a line attached. Some other small issue I won't discuss . But again really nice guys . They have a job to do I get it . I did bring up their barreling tru the no wake zone .. Their response was funny .. IS the no wake zone federal or state they asked? I said town... they laughed and said yea that's not for us...They only enforce federal laws nothing state or county. Didn't know that.

Anyway the big take away was FLARES, THROWABLE DEVICES, overboard discharge valve closed and ziptied, fire extinguishers and life jackets.

Have a great summer guys !

Rob
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
boatbum Posted - May 15 2019 : 17:21:01
"Some other small issue I won't discuss"

Now you have me wondering LOL..

b_arrington Posted - May 15 2019 : 15:09:45
Town of Brookhaven stopped my boat while it was undergoing a sea trial with prospective buyers. It was the only boat out there and the harbormaster was bored. My broker got chastised for going too fast near an empty barge mooring.
TJM Posted - Apr 29 2019 : 12:29:45
I have also heard of the issue with the strobes. Compliant vs Approved.
I am thinking most people purchased them based on an assumption, self included.
Robski97 Posted - Apr 27 2019 : 07:48:23
10 miles west of shinecock CG rolled up on us … Again for a safety check. Im like gusy wtf .. Their like ur the only one around .. I showed them last weeks boarding papers and they were like later. Funny thing they were out of Moriches and chased me all the way to shinecock… And yess they were prepaired to do a boarding in ocean. I would not have been amused.

Rob
HOGAN Posted - Apr 16 2019 : 10:47:49
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/CG-ENG-4/VDS/

HOGAN Posted - Apr 16 2019 : 10:47:14
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/CG-ENG-4/VDS/

mdoherty Posted - Apr 16 2019 : 07:32:01
If you look carefully flares are listed as day/ night signals. When the strobes came out they were sold with a flag to meet the day portion of the rule.
Audrey II Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 22:28:01
Talk about false advertising!

The SOS Distress Light meets USCG night visual distress signal requirements for navigation on coastal waters, the Great Lakes, territorial seas and connected waters up to a point where less than two miles across for recreational boats over 16ft, or smaller boats operating between sunset and sunrise.

When activated the SOS Distress Light flashes the Internationally recognized Morse Code SOS sequence of "... --- ...". This light DOES NOT emit a solid beam, its purpose is to meet The USCG regulations for night visual distress signaling as required for Commercial Fishing vessels operating in the area designated "coastal".
Robski97 Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 18:59:41
I was the only boat out there Bruce... And they should abide by all laws... but im not pressing it ..

They said the stobe to the best of their knowledge was no longer a replacement for flares. The guys I had were 10 and 15 yr guys, So they knew their stuff but they said it was a gray area as it does say CG approved. Very odd that it would be approved and then rescinded... They past me so im good for the year. ill ask the Guys out east when I get the Sticker for the Riverhead Marine police.

Rob
Robski97 Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 18:59:24
I was the only boat out there Bruce... And they should abide by all laws... but im not pressing it ..

They said the stobe to the best of their knowledge was no longer a replacement for flares. The guys I had were 10 and 15 yr guys, So they knew their stuff but they said it was a gray area as it does say CG approved. Very odd that it would be approved and then rescinded... They past me so im good for the year. ill ask the Guys out east when I get the Sticker for the Riverhead Marine police.

Rob
Anchor Management Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 11:57:17
I have the strobe as well. Was that question resolved? My understanding is that flares are not required if you have the strobe.
pdecat Posted - Apr 15 2019 : 11:06:11
They may only enforce federal law but does that mean they can violate local laws?

You were probably the only boat out there and they needed something to do.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com