BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 223 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Jones Beach Air Show Anchorages

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AF Posted - May 21 2019 : 08:37:47
Are there designated anchorages on the bay side for the air show or is it a free for all? I wanted to anchor up in the Sloop Channel between the Medowbrook and Wantaugh bridges.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JohnC Posted - May 24 2019 : 09:51:07
Thanks!
Surfveyor Posted - May 24 2019 : 08:38:14
(1) The “No Entry Area” will be enforced each day from the start of the air show until 30 minutes after it concludes. Exact time will be determined annually.
Surfveyor Posted - May 24 2019 : 08:37:42
Search 33 CFR 100.100 for Jones Beach Air Show Restrictions
5.2 Jones Beach Air Show - (1) No Entry Area: Waters of the Atlantic Ocean off Jones Beach State Park, Wantagh, NY contained within the following described area; beginning at a point on land at position 40‹34Œ54 N., 073‹33Œ21 W.; then east along the shoreline of Jones Beach State Park to a point on land at position 40‹35Œ53 N., 073‹28Œ48 W.; then south to a point in the Atlantic Ocean off of Jones Beach at position 40‹35Œ05 N., 073‹28Œ34 W.; then west to position 40‹33Œ15 N., 073‹33Œ09 W.; then north to the point of origin (NAD 83). All positions are approximate.
JohnC Posted - May 23 2019 : 22:29:03
What are the restrictions on the ocean side?

Thanks,
John
AF Posted - May 23 2019 : 20:50:09
Thanks guys. I'm going on Sunday and shoot for that cove east of the fishing pier. With my Montauk 17 I shoot for some skinny water.
JVM225 Posted - May 23 2019 : 07:56:29
Saturday is better in Zack’s than Sunday. But both can get pretty crazy. I usually try to get there very early to get a spot, and leave late to avoid the traffic jam.
Unfortunately it’s looking like I may have to go on Sunday this year or not go at all.
You do need to keep an eye peeled for inexperienced boaters who haven’t honed their anchoring skills yet. All kinds of mishaps from anchoring too close and swinging in to people to not knowing how to get an anchor to catch or hold. It’s also not unheard of for inattentive boaters to come dangerously close to your anchor line. I’ve had mine bounced a couple of times over the years, but never cut or fouled, but I have seen it happen to others there..
It’s always a good idea to keep a knife aboard that is capable of cutting a line.
Fortunately I now have an all chain rode so the next guy to bounce it will get an instant and expensive lesson about why you need to lower the radio, put down the beer and slow down when maneuvering in tight quarters.
bone354 Posted - May 22 2019 : 20:09:48
What kind of boat do you have. Your info says whaler. If that's what you are going in go to Zacks. You can pull that right up to beach. I usually anchor on the east entrance side but in channel.
CurrentSea Posted - May 22 2019 : 18:49:53
If ocean is calm, go out there!
Robski97 Posted - May 22 2019 : 15:28:49
That cove is a good spot. I wouldn't go into zachs if u paid me . And if the wind changes.... OH BOY …

The entire area becomes an anchorage during the show … just how much u want to get rocked

Rob
JVM225 Posted - May 21 2019 : 10:55:23
There is a small little cove between the two bridges on the south side of the channel east of the fishing piers but like Rob said, you might get bounced around there because it isn’t adjacent to a no wake zone.
I watched the show from there in a friend’s 23’ boat several years ago and we got bounced around a lot.
A better choice is Zack’s Bay just east of the Wantagh Bridge. It will be very crowded there though. Best to get there early so you can find some space.
Also, if you opt for Zack’s Bay you way want to think about spending an extra few hours there after the show ends because there will be a bit of a traffic jam exiting right after the show ends.
Robski97 Posted - May 21 2019 : 10:05:58
its a free for all .. Get there early.... mind u ur in the channel so depending on what side of the bridge ur on u may got rocked .

Rob

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com