BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Re-call or Service Bulletin on 2005 to 2008 341's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ocean Spray Posted - Mar 22 2011 : 20:21:51
Did
44   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gregory S Posted - Jun 23 2011 : 12:15:26
He'd also know that the 454 (7.4) was no longer in production by 2004.
HOGAN Posted - Jun 23 2011 : 06:39:56
Ocean, with each new post, more contradictions come out. Like Gregory says, IF you were a mechanic "for years" and "do know about engines" then you would clearly know the difference in engines sizes - yet you claim to be totally surprised that it wasn't a 7.4.

You post that you were "stripping the boat" now try to back-track to say you were only taking your personal stuff.

You posted in the past that your $12,000 Rolex was on the boat - very questionable that you would leave that expensive of a watch, and fail to make a payment.

PLEASE - go see your attorney and listen to him when he tells you to stop posting - you are just digging yourself in deeper and deeper...
Gregory S Posted - Jun 22 2011 : 22:40:52
your post in this thread---"My first experience with a larger vessel"' Certainly sounds like you never piloted a vessel this size before you bought this one. Now you tell me you were a mechanic for yeas and know about engines. Then why would you need to bring a mechanic out to your boat to tell you the engine was siezed? Or couldn't tell the difference between small blocks and large blocks? Something sounding really fishy here. What kind/size vessels did you get your needed 6 Pac experience on?
Ocean Spray Posted - Jun 22 2011 : 21:58:52
ok just to satisfy
Ocean Spray Posted - Jun 22 2011 : 21:50:53
I never said I did not drive a boat this big????? I think you may have me confused with some one else. I was a mechanic for years so I do know about engines, just what are you refering to? As far as wishing for a hurricane that ones getting old, I was in the hurricane protection industry and wishing for a storm is simple, if a storm forms and comes even close to Flroida then the phones will ring, thast all it was meant to be, please stop taking everything out of context.
Gregory S Posted - Jun 22 2011 : 21:34:04
I didn't interpret "stripping the boat" the way you're now stateing it. Especially when you asked if anyone wanted any Meridian parts. I can't believe a "USCG Captain" would admit he's never piloted a boat this big or had such little knowledge about engines or wished for a hurricaine. Didn't you say you have a 100 ton upgrade to your ticket or am I thinking of someone else?
Ocean Spray Posted - Jun 22 2011 : 11:16:09
RWS I see you are so concerned about my well being. .
RWS Posted - Jun 11 2011 : 13:31:27
posted by Ocean Spray on June 1, 2011

"so we are stripping the boat as we speak. If anyone needs any parts from a 2007 341 please let me know, I will sell you anything you want really cheap to try and make some money back."

Maybe the reality show will have an episode of him stripping the boat when the repo guys show up !

RWS
Kellyg Posted - Jun 11 2011 : 10:05:44
RWS is right. They hauled 3 boats out of my marina a few years ago and the bank had arranged for all of them to be trailered. The largest was a 37 foot boat.
RWS Posted - Jun 11 2011 : 07:09:09
I think the travelift can pick it up and load it onto a trailer.

uh....um.... Isn't that the way it's done?

Maybe they will start a new reality TV show and call it OPERATION REPO.

RWS
dl2525 Posted - Jun 10 2011 : 09:43:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ocean Spray

Well today I out smarted the bank! I put the boat on the hard and had it hauled out so the repo man can not steal it! When the bank found that out they had a totally different attitude! Now they are extending my payment request till next week or until I get settled in my next job. I told them I want to sell the boat and that they would not get a chance to repo the boat until I exhaust all other options first. When the boat gets repaired and put back in the water I am taking it to a private yard to be hauled out and blocked until its sold so I do not have to worry about repo agents trying to snag the boat. I just love it when I get the upper hand for a change!

Kida, my e-mail you can contact me on is srqcaptain at verizon dot net.

I don't think you've out smarted anyone. Do you really think the bank would let a boat that's hauled out stop them from repo'ing it? The bank will gladly pay the marina $200 bucks to have the boat dropped back in to recoup their losses. At that point, they've already got keys duplicated (or they can pick the locks), and now it's easy for them to take it away.
Reel Antsy Posted - Jun 10 2011 : 06:55:26
quote:
Originally posted by floydsfloat

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Ocean Spray

Well today I out smarted the bank! I put the boat on the hard and had it hauled out so the repo man can not steal it! When the bank found that out they had a totally different attitude! Now they are extending my payment request till next week or until I get settled in my next job. I told them I want to sell the boat and that they would not get a chance to repo the boat until I exhaust all other options first. When the boat gets repaired and put back in the water I am taking it to a private yard to be hauled out and blocked until its sold so I do not have to worry about repo agents trying to snag the boat. I just love it when I get the upper hand for a change!

Does anyone else get that "shake your head in disbelief" vibe on this? I mean you "outsmarted" the bank? Your keeping them from taking possesion of a boat that you failed to uphold your part of the contract on? i.e make the payments!?!??!

The fact that when you found out it was 1st gonna get repo'd you announced that you were gonna strip the boat is a lowclass move in my opinion. I'd fire any of my employees who displayed those kind of actions or ethics.

+2
alexander38 Posted - Jun 10 2011 : 04:47:41
RWS you nailed it I agree 110%
RWS Posted - Jun 08 2011 : 21:05:00
By the way, here's the kind of "CHARACTER" who does these kind of things....

Take a look at this post from earlier this year:

============
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ocean Spray March 11, 2011

HHmmmmm, I cant wait till HURRICANE SEASON! Ohhhh ya baby, its setting up just like the 04 05 season! Of coarse being in the Hurricane Protection business does has no affect on my opinion............not LET THEM COME!!!!!!!!!!!
If I have another great season like I did in 05 and 06 then the next boat will be the Meridian 441! Bring on the storms!......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

================================

Your lack of experience will show when the total hell of a major hurricane rains down on you. If you really make the big bucks, why waste your coin on such a crappy production boat? There are only two type of people that never lose their titles, "Captains and Whores."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/size=3]
=====================================

Bring on the storms huh?

So you can buy a bigger boat?

Are you serious?

I saw the eye of Category Four, nearly Five Hurricane Charley on Friday the 13th of August, 2004.

Wind gusts of 173 mph were measured at the weather ststion located on the roof of Charlotte Regional Hospital just minutes before the roof was blown off. Army MASH units were set up in th eparking lots of all three hospitals and soilders patrolled the streets.

I am also in a related industry to yours.

I can assure you that your desire for a hurricane is truly misguided.

Legitimate companies with an established customer base while leaner today than in the heyday are still in business.

While you may in fact sell more hurricane shutters, roll downs and garage door braces in the short run, a storm will bring out all the peddlers, magnetic signs on pickup truck guys, thieves and whores not to mention the glass window film and velcro shutter guys spawned as a result of the 2004-2005 season. They will undercut your customer base and provide inferior products and less than stellar service, that is in the event they don't just take the clients deposit money and run like so many did. Look at all the bankruptcies in this industry. That new spawn will certainly be greater in a weak economy.

Finally another major storm will scare people away from the state, drive up insurance costs and create a tremendous NEGATIVE GROWTH that could be devastating in the current economy.

This assessment doesn't even take into account the loss of life and property that occurs as a result of a major storm.

Why don't you go back and read your post.

"oh yeah baby........"

You damn well better think twice about what you wish for yourself and for others.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels

Edited by - RWS on Mar 13 2010 13:09:49

Homeport: FL

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Mar 13 2010 : 07:44:43

Just for the record, RWS, I was commenting on the BS that "Captain Pat" AKA "Ocean Spray" (I thought that was a fruit drink) posted. If you read up a few post you will see the his original post. I agree with you 100%.

RWS Posted - Jun 08 2011 : 20:49:01
quote:

quote:

Does anyone else get that "shake your head in disbelief" vibe on this? I mean you "outsmarted" the bank? Your keeping them from taking possesion of a boat that you failed to uphold your part of the contract on? i.e make the payments!?!??!

The fact that when you found out it was 1st gonna get repo'd you announced that you were gonna strip the boat is a lowclass move in my opinion. I'd fire any of my employees who displayed those kind of actions or ethics.

+1
floydsfloat Posted - Jun 08 2011 : 15:28:51
quote:

Ocean Spray Posted - Jun 02 2011 : 21:28:57
ooops
KiDa Posted - Jun 02 2011 : 13:55:49
Ocean Spray. I tried e-mailing you. It bounced back. Have questions about your boat.
KiDa Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 21:04:31
quote:
Originally posted by dl2525

I guess your credit history takes a $hit huh? I don't know that I would be happy about having my boat repo'ed.

Not really. A one time hit is not good, however, it is not looked at as bad considering the times we live in.

Not from me,,,,from a friend who works for one of the credit agencies.
dl2525 Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 20:11:23
I guess your credit history takes a $hit huh? I don't know that I would be happy about having my boat repo'ed.
walterv Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 20:07:12
quote:

Well just found out that the bank is moving forward on a repo for my boat We did fall behind 2 months but I called the bank and tried to do weekly payments until we could catch up, but they said no. After 45 days they take action, 45 days was yesturday so we are stripping the boat as we speak. If anyone needs any parts from a 2007 341 please let me know, I will sell you anything you want really cheap to try and make some money back. I will be boatless soon, what a relief in so many ways!

What do you owe on the boat???
RWS Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 20:00:53
Hey Pat,

So sorry to hear of your upcoming loss.

Perhaps this "season" will blow in some winds of change and help you out with a business reversal before it's too late.

Best of luck with the whole mess.

RWS
Ocean Spray Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 19:08:29
oops
KiDa Posted - Jun 01 2011 : 08:43:17
--LONG REPLY--

I have the 6.2's in Saint Max and the first season I had her, I also went through buyers remorse. However, the 6.2's are fine engines PROVIDED they are matched to the correct prop PLUS they are 200 plus pounds lighter per side than the 7.4L. Newer engines are higher revving and a lot of us old farts cannot get used to that. Depending on what you read from Merc (their own stuff conflicts year to year) you should hit a WOT of 5000 RPM.

That said I need to ask if 4250 RPM is WOT fully loaded or 1/2 loaded. From what I have read and studied, WOT readings should be taken at full provisions, normal pax load, but 1/2 water and 1/2 fuel. The reasoning is at full fluid load you will be overpropped and at low fluid load you will be under propped. Without a Controllable Pitch Propeller, it's all a tradeoff.

If you are at 4250 WOT at full provisions and pax, but 1/2 water and 1/2 fuel, you are almost 4 inches overpropped. I don't think a prop can be manipulated more than a couple of inches either way. If this is the case you are in for new props. IF you have 3 blades, go to 4. The extra stern lift and dockside maneuverability is unbelievable.

It you are 4250 fully loaded, you might be able to get away with your current props being reworked. Call a local Propscan shop. They require a lot of detail to dial a set of props in. Getting mine done by Wildcat (the local propscan shop in Central VA) plus adding extensions to the trim tabs made her a completely different boat to drive and own. My cruise RPM went from 3800 - 4000 down to 3400 with no loss in speed (22knots) but a 3 GPH decrease in fuel consumption.

For the record, I would NOT buy the 6.2 Merc's again. Merc makes it too difficult to perform a lot of maintenance. I WOULD buy the Crusader 6.0's in a second because it appears Crusader takes the owner into consideration when designing an engine.

HTH
MichaelNJ Posted - May 31 2011 : 21:59:21
Interesting that they paid for your Cutlass Bearings. I just had my port side replaced. Cost me almost $500. And by the way, that's the reason I was burning and extra GPH on the port side. Now both engines burn the same amount again.
walterv Posted - May 31 2011 : 21:28:19
I get it Pat, feel bad that you got duped. I was always a motor head as a kid, I knew how to equate cubic inch to block size.

My Silverton came as standard power 5.7 motors, that year, 2004 they did not have the HO version (6.0 or maybe 6.2). With all fairness, I did post on BE in 2004, about big blocks vs small blocks. The upgrade to 8.1 big blocks was around 12k. The kicker is the performance (fuel economy and top speed) was very close between the 5.7 motors and the 8.1 motors.

My final decision (based on the feed back from BE) was that the torque on the 8.1 motors and the longevity (not beating the crap out of a small block)made me go to the big block.

When I looked at the 2004 341 there was only one option for a motor and that was a small block. It had to do with the beam. I do know that they made the 341 wider (beam) a few years later, but IMHO, even though they could put in 8.1 motors, the beam IMHO would make these motors a bear to work on.

I happen to really love the 341 Merdian, the salon is, IMHO, the best salon on a boat this size, as well as the master stateroom. In 2004, the boat was a dog, I think it was 2006 when they widened up the beam and gave the boat a better foot print.

All boats have a trade off, just the nature of the beast, you have a sweet ride, perfect, no, but what boat is?

Walter
Ocean Spray Posted - May 31 2011 : 20:59:31
Walter, back then my 454 big block had 310 horse power, when I heard 6.2 was 320 HP, I assumed they were big blocks by the HP. I admit, my mistake totally, I was awstruck by the boat itself and should have done my home work.
walterv Posted - May 30 2011 : 21:28:35
How could someone assume that 5.7 motors (small blocks) that were tricked out to be 6.1 motors, could be "big blocks" ???

I think your claim should be that the "stranded power" was BS.
RWS Posted - May 30 2011 : 20:46:24
quote:

OK just to satisfy the back yard mechanics whom seam to know it all, here is the deal.

<SNIP>

So for all the negative smart ass comments above, you are all wrong!

======================================

Well, I suppose this about sums it all up now, doesn't it ?

RWS
Ocean Spray Posted - May 30 2011 : 11:37:57
OK just to satisfy you.
Woodsong Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 16:58:38
Perhaps the 341 with your power plant option is Meridian's modern day answer to the gas powered trawler? :)

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the performance- that would not be fun, regardless of the reason.
Gregory S Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 16:34:39
Pascal, wiling to bet that a large percentage of people who buy larger cruisers, never get to the sea trial after they buy the new boat for it's looks and options. Probaly most take a brief look under the engine hatches and that's it.
RWS Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 10:20:12
I just read my own post and it comes off a bit condecending.

It is not intenede to be that way, just offering up an opinion.

The boat not reaching WOT indicates that in abscense of some other problem, she is overpropped.

The more gear, th emore weight the more overprop.

Anyway, just trying to help out the Forum with an opinion.

Clearly I am not a cocktail cruiser, don't even have th etee shirt or captains hat!

RWS

RWS
RWS Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 10:12:20
Kind of like the guy who gets the 6 cylinder Mustang convertible (say $25,000)- it's sweet and stylish, and has the basic entry level powertrain but does not spin the tires and perform like the Cobrajet at say $40,000.

Not a defect, doesn't come under the lemon law thing, just a lower power option for a cocktail cruiser.

Different specifications for different applications.

That's why there are options.

RWS
PascalG Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 08:05:16
I can't help questioning how someone signs a contract for a boat with base engines, does a sea trial, accepts the vessel then complains about performance.

The builder did not try to save money, they offered a base version to attract buyers who wanted save money
Gregory S Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 05:33:38
what were the other gas engine choices? Your boat is obviously way underpowered but don't know if other engine options would be the same. You asked how this would affect resale? It would be a deal killer for a knowledgeable buyer.
370 Motoryacht Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 23:14:56
How did you not realize by looking in the engine room that they were small blocks?
Ocean Spray Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 22:13:12
Well, I will keep you posted!
Gregory S Posted - Mar 23 2011 : 20:07:55
caveat emptor.
RWS Posted - Mar 23 2011 : 19:28:01
Horsepower and torque are not synonomous, nor are they linear.

Same goes for displacemet in marine applications.

Once over 12-14-16-18,0000 lbs depending on windage and hull design, diesels become a better choice for a planing vessel.

Keep in mind that it is the PROP that moves the boat - not the engine.

That said, the props must be appropriately matched for the engines.

I cannot imagine those smalllocks pushing that kind of Meridian mass efficiently or effectively.

But I'll bet it has nice corian countertops and and a Margarita maker.

My Trojan still has grey formica wetbar and countertops.

Cocktail, please Pat, and a Margaritta for the wife!

Don't forget the little umbrellas and the glasses with the boat name on them !

RWS

dominic Posted - Mar 23 2011 : 09:01:01
Back when the 6.2s were first introduced, Mercruiser advertised in their brochures that the 6.2 as the replacement for the 7.4. I never bought that 'crap' and I had some 'hearty' discusions with boat/engine dealers at the boat shows.

The 8.1 was the 7.4's replacement, but 'they' wanted you to believe otherwise.
Ocean Spray Posted - Mar 23 2011 : 08:53:56
Actually :(
RWS Posted - Mar 23 2011 : 05:02:34
This is a SEDAN BRIDGE model with a DRY WEIGHT of 18,500 lbs !

With those little V8 gassers?

Are you SERIOUS?

Well at least it has a nice interior and you can enjoy cocktails at the dock.

That's a lot of boat and a lot of windage.

What were the engine upgrade options Cummins I presume?

For years boat mfgs have offered underpowered boats.

We've all seen them or heard about them.

RWS
jpowell Posted - Mar 22 2011 : 20:53:38
You bought an underpowered boat and you blame somebody else ? you are a tool if you ever thought those 6.2's would get the job done for you.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com