BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
Save Password


Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 183 ]  [ Total: 183 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 Blow tube Communicator, like in the movies.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

 Posting Form
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie
Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

   -  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
  Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PanchoCC Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 10:14:23
Blow tube Communicator, like in the movies.

You know, Captain on the bridge of a fast frigate, calling the engine room, picks up some sort of flexible tube, blows through it, then "Full speed ahead, we're going to ram that sub", etc. Except in my case, "Bring me a Guiness".

What are those things called ?
How do they work ?
How can I make one ?
Where do I buy one ?

PS. For those who don't understand, if it's electrical, then it's not what I'm talking about.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stmbtwle Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 16:12:16
How do they work? Basically they're just a tube, with a cover or plug on each end. The cover or the mouthpiece has a whistle built into it. You remove your cover and blow into the pipe. The whistle on the other end get's the guy's attention, he removes HIS cover and you can talk.

On older ships the captain had one at the head of his bunk, and yes I've heard sea stories about guys pouring water down the speaking tube. I don't imagine they made the next voyage, though.
Britanic Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 11:39:30
..."he was sure the topmen would “use it for an improper purpose”.

-a new knid of wet willie! :(
abalmuth Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 11:17:54
These are good interesting questions, but you would be better served posting this in the Ask the captain forum, not the Cruisers Yacht Owners’ forum which is for “stuff” for just one brand boat.
Capt. Art Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 11:05:52
What no blueprints?
Kellyg Posted - Dec 02 2008 : 10:47:49
They are called 'speaking tubes' or 'voice tubes.' Below is a link to the workings and description of use.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice