BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Broken Cavitation Plate - Yamaha Outboard

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker Insert Smilie

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastersp Posted - Mar 07 2019 : 16:36:44
The cavitation plate on my Yamaha outboard (OX66)was damaged on one side last season. I ran the boat with it in that condition a few times and couldn't tell a difference.

Marina mechanic is telling me it can be repaired by welding a new piece on as opposed to replacing entire lower unit.

The engine is a 2002 but has low hours so I will be keeping it for several more seasons.

What do the experts on this forum recommend?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gaineso Posted - Mar 08 2019 : 20:13:23
Check Bob's Marine and see if they still make the "Bob's big foot". Small plate that bolts from the bottom and should go on easily as long as it's only one side broken.
pdecat Posted - Mar 08 2019 : 09:28:26
Could you still attach a hydrofoil?
easttnboater Posted - Mar 08 2019 : 08:24:47
I have seen them welded before.

I think the correct protocol would be to remove the guts of the lower unit before welding so that no heat damage could occur to any seals.

Of course, that really depends on where it is broken and how big of a piece is missing.

BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com