boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 15 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: Lancer ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Kiekhaefer and Gaffrig type controls - BAD DESIGN?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll | 
Author Previous Topic: I need advice on electrical problem Topic Next Topic: To Strobe or Not to Strobe  

Diggler262

RO# 2459

Posted - Jul 25 2001 :  14:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short Story: I admit it, I accidently pulled the transmission control instead of the throttle back and put it into neutral, engine revved high, I panicked, and I shoved the transmission back into forward gear (since that is what my hand was on, and seems like a natural reaction), chewing up my gears. Insurance and warranty doesn't cover this. I paid to get it fixed, lesson learned. My wife now almost did the same thing which has got me revisiting this topic again.

Pulling it out of gear doesn't cause the damage, but there's very little resistance at above idle rpm that prevents you from doing so. Hopefully if I ever do this again, I'll think to pull the throttle back to idle rpm first before kicking myself in the rear.

Would you agree that there should be a lockout that prevents a user from putting a drive into gear unless the throttle control is at the idle position? How about a push button or an action requiring the control to be moved out to the side when it's in neutral, kind of like a car's stick shfit.

Is there a reason for not doing this? Other than running aground, it's crazy that one can cause so much $$$ damage so quickly when should it seems like common sense that this should be preventable by today's technology.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted these controls and looked forward to getting them with my boat. The bigger faster more expensive boats have them, so it must be better so I want it.:) If I had the option to retrofit with a single lever throttle/transmission control, I'd seriously consider it if didn't change the cosmetics of the helm.

I want to know what you think.

Thanks
Dirk

Homeport: NC/SC
  Previous Topic: I need advice on electrical problem Topic Next Topic: To Strobe or Not to Strobe  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.17 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com