BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 152 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Problems with 341 Meridian, Anyone else ?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Problems with A/C on a new Meridian 341, Anyone ? Topic Next Topic: Bottom Paint Problems.....  

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - May 30 2007 :  19:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a Meridian 341 from Marinemax in Florida. We have had so many issues with this boat, that even the service people cant believe it!
Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:37:39

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 30 2007 :  20:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year 341, and what are the problems?

I don't believe Florida has a lemon law for boats.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

inkblue

RO# 24914

Posted - May 31 2007 :  10:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this site:

http://consumeraction.gov/

What problems are you having? Am just curious because I am looking at Meridians now.

"We own the boats we can afford; everything else is justification..."

Homeport: Manhattan, New York Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  16:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problems are many, I guess some should be expected on a new boat. We purchased a 2007 341.

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:38:14

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  10:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean,

I've been reading your posts with interest since I just bought an '06 341. All of the problems you mentioned are dealer issues, in my opinion, not Meridian. I can also tell you that service at MarineMax varies by location. Many of them were independents that were bought out. I had warranty service done by the local MarineMax in Greenbrook, NJ which is not on the water. They came out to my last boat, a Sea Ray and this one. I bought both boats used and neither from MarineMax and so far the service has been excellent. I had a punch list of minor things with this boat. A tech came out patyiently and respectfully took the time to go through each and evry item on the list. They ordered all the parts and are coming back to the marina tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. The service manager, new to this location, has also been very good to deal with.

If you had a bent prop (can't imagine how that could happen) you really can't look at your performance figures.
Your top speed is way too low. Something is wrong. Hopefully, when your props are properly tuned you will get closer to 28 knots like I do.

I hope everything works out soon and you enjoy the boat. Let's keep in touch.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  21:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can turn my 53 within its length without thrusters :-) same with my previous boat, a 19k lbs 37' gas express :-)

seriously... 23kts and 47 GPH is WAY OFF... something is VERY wrong here... what kind of engines do you have ? from what i see on yacht world, the 341 has 320hp engines36 LOA and weights 18k lbs. my old (98) maxum 37 weighted 19k, 37 LOA and had 310hp engines. it topped at 30kts... while i understand the 341 is a sedan/flybridge, it will not make such a huge difference.

if you are only topping 23 kts, you must be overpropped (or the boat is dirty) in which case you are overloading this engines and they're not going to last very long.

What RPM are you turning at WOT with a normal load ? compare to the engine ratings... my guess you shoudl be turning at least 4400rpm but check you engine specs. if you are not turning that, you have a problem... which is not surprising considering your experience with the dealer.

call meridian and get the specs... rated RPM, top speed, fuel burn, recommended cruise...

something is VERY wrong with this pictre

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  21:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,
What rpm are you running at 28 knots? What are you buring per hour?(GPH) My boat does not go over 22.6 knots, and that is at 4100 rpm, thats all shes got. No wonder I cant keep up with anyone while underway!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  21:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasgal,
The boat is brand new, and I have seen the bottom, no dirt, no buidup of sealife, barnackles etc. Paint was in perfect condition. Could the factory have govorned the motors down for breakin period? The props are a new design for Meridian, but they have been out for the last 2 years. Would a bent prop slow the boat down that much? I was there for inspection of the props, 1 blade on a 4 blade prop was bent out of true roughly 1/4 of an inch. There was a vibration in the boat, but it was minimal, you could barely feel it.

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  23:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should get 4600-4800 RPM at WOT
You have a brand new boat that you paid a lot of money for. My suggestion is, rather than seek non professional opinions here, you should call Meridian Customer Service immediately and explain your situation. I believe they will help you. This is a dealer problem not Meridian.

Obsession

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  09:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1/4 " bent on a blade will affect speed, no doubt, but i don't think by that much. in any case, you need to pull both props and have them checked.

no, new motors dont' have critical break in periods as in the old days.

you need to solve this NOW. in the meantime dont' push the boat. I'm not sure what your engines should turn at WOT... my old 7.4s (1998 vintage) fuel injected 310hp were rated pretty low at 4400. your 4100 is way out and you're overloading the engine. not as critical with gas than diesel but not good.

call Meridian, and get the specs. rated RPM, cruise and top speed. they can probalby fax it to you so you have it in writing although the dealer should have that info.

Look at the meridian site
http://www.meridian-yachts.com/meridian-news.asp?display=reviews&sort=year&start=-1
and look at some of the magazine reviews... BoatTest for instance (first link) has some data...
top speed at 4700 is 28.3 which is inst very fast but since you're 600 rom short, you should be able to get them with prop work.

of course the numbers are show with 2 pax, 1/2 fuel and no water but that doesn't explain 6 kts and 600 rpm.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

wrkalot

RO# 7818

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8.1's or 6.2's? Inboard 6.2's should turn 5000RPM plus at WOT

2004 Meridian 411 "YOLO"
Fuzzy boat math: Model Name 411, Hull Length 43, LOA 46

Homeport: Kent Island, MD Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please post whatever info you get from Meridian.

Obsession

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To All Who Have Been Following my original post............

Iam happy to report, we just got our boat back from Marine Max with the repaired props. Prop scan in Bradenton Fl., said that both props were out a bit but that one of them was out by almost 30%. Thats the one that vibrated the boat and loosened up the packing around the shafts.

The boat does what its designed to do, top speed is 27 to 28 knots, smooth as glass, Engine rpm goes up where its supposed to be around 4700 to 5000 rpm.

I am just glad to have her back!

Ocean Spray II

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:39:35

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  20:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean,

Those top end numbers sound about right. What do you cruise at? RPM, Spped and GPH.

30% is not a bit. Wonder how that could have happened.

Obsession

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  22:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean Spray, with dripless shaft seals, there is no packing around the shafts.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  19:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael/NJ
This weekend I was cruising at 23 knots, burning anywhere from 38 to 40 GPH. Much better than last time! Also tried her at recomended cruise (18 knots) and we did 31 GPH. Not bad for gas engines.

Ocean Spray II

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  21:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that's about what I get. Sunday I had 8 adults and full tanks of gas and was running against the tides. Got about 17 knots at 4000 RPM.

Obsession

Previous Topic: Problems with A/C on a new Meridian 341, Anyone ? Topic Next Topic: Bottom Paint Problems.....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com