BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Marine Detailing & Fabrication
 Washing Deck
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Purple-brownish stains on vinyl Topic Next Topic: Reviving Paint Sripe  

seeray96

RO# 16115

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  14:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read comments on this site, as well as others, as to the "preferred" products for hull cleaning. Before spring launching, I have the hull and deck waxed and buffed. I don't usually bother with subsequent hull work unless the boat needs to be hauled for some reason. Therefore, routine external cleaning is relegated to the canvas and deck.

I've been using Roll-off for the deck, but some feel it is too strong. So, what product would you guys recommend for routine weekly deck washdowns that will have a minimal effect on the wax?
Ray C.
1995 Sea Ray 500DA

Homeport: Orchard Park NY

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  21:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have been using Roll-Off, you've probably removed any wax that you applied in your pre-launch work.

After trying many products for regular boat washing, I am sold on Orpine Wash & Wax. It preserves the wax finish I worked hard to obtain better than anything else I have used, and it does a good job cleaning if you are a regular washer.

Eric

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jun 28 2007 :  22:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wash with a good stream of fresh water; towel dry afterwards.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  04:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liz,

Apparently you don't have many ducks or gulls at your marina.

Eric

seeray96

RO# 16115

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  09:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LIz -

Re: Eric's comment about ducks and gulls - the marina is on the Niagara River (Buffalo) and about 3 mi. from Lake Erie. Lots of flying "visitors." I'm not there every day, so I do need more than water.

Ray

Ray C.
1995 Sea Ray 500DA

Homeport: Orchard Park NY Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  10:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Future Floor wax on the deck and water and a long handled brush there after. I will put another coat of Future on maybe next weekend. The Future wax closes the pores of the non-skid, and dirt does not stick, other non-skid properties are affected.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  12:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seeray96

LIz -Re: Eric's comment about ducks and gulls - the marina is on the Niagara River (Buffalo) and about 3 mi. from Lake Erie. Lots of flying "visitors." I'm not there every day, so I do need more than water.Ray

True, we only have starlings and I don't get much droppings in a covered slip! I think I'd have a mooring cover to keep the deck clean if I had Eric's problem.......

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  17:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep the entire cockpit area covered when we are away from the boat - everything aft of the windshield to the transom is enclosed (it's a Sundancer). But, that leaves everything forward of the windshield a target plus all the canvas and the arch.

I have been pretty fortunate so far - the birds mostly leave me alone as they seem to prefer the more open boats, especially those with open fly bridges. But they do like open cockpits too. There is an open Maxum 3000 about halfway between my boat and the shore that has been neglected for a couple of years. As I left this afternoon I counted six recently laid duck eggs in the forward part of the cockpit, and that's the neat part of what the ducks left behind.

Eric

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  18:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray,

Maybe this seems like one of those dumb questions, but what result do you want to achieve - just clean, or looking as near new as possible, or protection, or something else ? The best products and schedule usually goes with the results wanted.

Eric

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  19:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just try to tell you what works, take it or leave it, but it works.

Jim P.

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimPend

I just try to tell you what works, take it or leave it, but it works.

Like listening to YMCA ?

Eric

seeray96

RO# 16115

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  09:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric -

I'm not looking for "like new." Clean would be great, without the messy evidences of bird "visits." The canvas is white stamoid material, installed over the winter.

Ray

Ray C.
1995 Sea Ray 500DA

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then on the fiberglass, after it's properly waxed weekly washings with Orpine Wash & Wax should do the trick - dry if you choose, it will give a better result but unless your water is very hard isn't really necessary.

If you wanted to go for like new glitz then you can add finishing with a carnuba spray wax (I like the Eagle One Nanowax automotive product) as a topper after washing about every two to four weeks. Doing the spray wax requires that you dry the boat after washing before doing the spray treatment. A fifty footer is a lot of boat to dry and then rub over again.

Eric

Edited by - divedaddy on Jun 30 2007 19:06:11

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  22:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My detailer recommends Bon Ami. It is very finely ground egg shells with some bleach. It will not remove wax, but will rub out stains. Shake it on the area, take a damp sponge and rub until clean. then take a dry clean soft cloth and polish area. You will be amazed!

seeray96

RO# 16115

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  15:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of the "baloons" with the eyeballs that's supposed to frighten the birds. Some of the guys at the marina say they work. We'll see. After a week without washdown, the dock area looks like the set from Hitchcock's famous movie. I expect to see Tipi Hedren walking along the wall anytime!

Thanks to all for the tips.

Ray C.
1995 Sea Ray 500DA

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  17:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boats in my marina have all sorts of things to try to keep birds away - rubber snakes, owl decoys, etc. The biggest problem I have is all the duck poo on the docks - really slick, and once it gets in the siping on deck shoes it not easy to remove.

Eric

seeray96

RO# 16115

Posted - Jul 03 2007 :  17:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric -

Speaking of ducks, you oughta' see my swim platform. I only wish it was on the docks!

We need spell check - "balloons."

Ray C.
1995 Sea Ray 500DA

NY Weasel

RO# 11933

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  13:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I tried Future floor wax and had negative results. I used it on the cockpit and swim platform as a test run before doing the deck. I thoroughly cleaned every square inch of the cockpit with a brush, soap, and magic erasers, to ensure it was clean. I applied two coats of Future with a sponge, and let it dry overnight. The floor was still tacky, and now, I have a handful of yellow stains that won't come off. I've tried everything I have on these stains, even On/Off, bleach, Spray 9, Simple Green, FSR, still there. Did you ever get these stains?

2004 Albin 28TE

Edited by - NY Weasel on Jul 12 2007 13:27:11

Homeport: Freeport, NY Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  13:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first used it years ago, I had some yellow streaking, I used Ajax on the non-skip only and they came off, never had any since. My boat is off white, but the guy who told me about Future had a white boat and he had no problems. I have to believe it is some of the other left over wax.

Jim P.

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  12:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

My detailer recommends Bon Ami. It is very finely ground egg shells with some bleach. It will not remove wax, but will rub out stains. Shake it on the area, take a damp sponge and rub until clean. then take a dry clean soft cloth and polish area. You will be amazed!

Your detailer is looking for something quick and cheap. Bon Ami is abrasive and is a poor choice for cleaning a boat, even the non-skid. Over time, this will remove the gelcoat. In the meantime it is leaving tiny scratches that pick up and hold dirt and such. This requires more frequent cleaning and of course causes more damage.

Starbrite makes a product that works very well on non-skid boat decks and will not harm anything.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/non-skid-deck-cleaner-with-ptef

This is also available under the Attwood brand name at Walmart.

I've been using this product for several years and it works well and provides some protection to the surface as well as cleaning it. Follow the directions.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  05:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My detailer recommends Bon Ami. It is very finely ground egg shells with some bleach.

Abrasives plus bleach = by, by wax. You need to find a new detailer who has a clue.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  18:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

Your detailer is looking for something quick and cheap. Bon Ami is abrasive and is a poor choice for cleaning a boat, even the non-skid. Over time, this will remove the gelcoat. In the meantime it is leaving tiny scratches that pick up and hold dirt and such. This requires more frequent cleaning and of course causes more damage.

Starbrite makes a product that works very well on non-skid boat decks and will not harm anything.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/non-skid-deck-cleaner-with-ptef

This is also available under the Attwood brand name at Walmart.

I've been using this product for several years and it works well and provides some protection to the surface as well as cleaning it. Follow the directions.

WOW ! Only 7 years for a reply...not bad !

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

praetorian

RO# 14793

Posted - Feb 21 2014 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My marina uses the Starbrite cleaner on boats when they wash them. I had them wash my boat a few times when I didn't have time and the results were not good. They streak down the side and ruin my wax. I've talked to several boaters who've experienced the same thing. It's harder to spot on my white hull, but I'm really anal and spend a ton of time waxing and cleaning my boat over the winter. On my buddies navy blue hull it's pretty obvious after just one wash.

Maybe it's not all waxes but of the 4 boaters that experience this, we all use different waxes.

Homeport: On Go to Top of Page

Boater_Dave

RO# 29093

Posted - Apr 03 2014 :  22:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean streaks? Are they squirting it straight out of the bottle (and not agitating enough)? Or are they mixing some Deck Cleaner in a bucket and using it to wash their boats?

Homeport: Lake Ozark, Mo. Go to Top of Page

timmotel

RO# 24515

Posted - Apr 04 2014 :  07:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boater_Dave

What do you mean streaks? Are they squirting it straight out of the bottle (and not agitating enough)? Or are they mixing some Deck Cleaner in a bucket and using it to wash their boats?

Can you explain this more? I get the same thing, streaks down the hull from run off of the starbrite. But I continue to use it because it's better then a dirty topside. When I apply I do squirt it directly from the bottle, I lightly speread it with my deck brush, let it sit a few minutes, then scrub everything, then rinse, followed by a coat of woody wax. But I do get streaks on the hull from the start right stripping the wax (at least I think that is what it is doing) so then I reclean and rewax the hull. This needs to be done very two months, and in between a simple was down with a hose works great. Well till fall when the dam fishermen sling fish eggs all over the marina.

Homeport: Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Dec 07 2014 :  18:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevermind.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Edited by - rawidman on Dec 07 2014 18:29:55

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Purple-brownish stains on vinyl Topic Next Topic: Reviving Paint Sripe  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com