BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 190 ]  [ Total: 197 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Regal Owners
 Regal Site auction ends July 13th
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Should I get into boating? Topic Next Topic: Boat Names  

boat106

RO# 16816

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  19:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A visit to the old address indicates they have active bids with the minimum amounts met and the auction will end on July 13th. Does anyone have a clue as to who is doing the bidding?
Mike

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL

regal292

RO# 27058

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure no one really cares. This site is way better, It just sucks that he is getting any money for it at all. I just hope the great Regal name doesn't go to some Other jerk.

Chris & Yolanda 1997 292 twin 5.7 volvos Mesa Az.

Homeport: Canyon Lake Az Go to Top of Page

DogDaze

RO# 27009

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  21:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

No, no clue here. I did an initial inquiry, and did receive a reply. I was told that it does include the mentioned domain name, the website and the contents. After landing here, I think many here have lost interest in paying them off to get our information back.

I think the strength of our forum was all it's good members, without us, it really has no value.

Joe & Sheryl
The Great North Coast

1998 Cruisers Yachts 3575

Homeport: Cedar Point, Ohio Go to Top of Page

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  21:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the address?

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

Sid in Sarasota

RO# 27091

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  22:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My two cents, I think its a scam. Who would pay thousands for a domain and then try to get their money back from ticked-off former forum member's dues?
Would anybody pay for a forum with the possibility of the same thing occurring again in a few months or years?
Once bitten, twice shy....

Sid

Homeport: Fl Go to Top of Page

Kenpcfl

RO# 12978

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  22:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only entity that would buy this for the 5k+ is Regal Corp. They should and are likely the bidder, IMHO. They would probably sit on it for awhile and make it some type of closely-held (i.e., heavily censored to any criticism) registered owners forum, similar to what Chaparrel does on their website.

Ken

Homeport: Panama City, FL Go to Top of Page

avstevec

RO# 27025

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking Ken's on the right track...

Unless a competitor wanted it to heavily edit (SLAM) Regal brand name...

Steve
Jacksonville, FL

Homeport: Jacksonville, FL Go to Top of Page

DogDaze

RO# 27009

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  14:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that advertising on the website could also help offset the initial cost.. much like the OffShoreOnly site does.

But knowing that, I would agree that if anyone, hopefully Regal purchases it, so as to keep the domain names from falling into bad hands in the future.

Joe & Sheryl
The Great North Coast

Rugger8

RO# 24444

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  22:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is how stupid was "Ed". My understanding is that he created the site and if he wanted to sell it thats his perogative. But why would you insult all the people who actually use the site. We would have been the most logical buyers if he had explained his actions. But no, he insulted all of us by his actions, so screw him. let him sit on his site and make his lousy $5K if he can. We are better off here.

Jeff
2006 Regal 3560
Dutchtown, NY

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

captgoerge

RO# 27085

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  08:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The site will be so disliked that he will have to pay to shut it down! Everybody here I am sure are not going back to it! Hey Mr. Ed what you got to say? We know your here reading, hope your buyers not here! Real men talk about it, kids take their game and go home!

Homeport: Macon Ga. Go to Top of Page

check737

RO# 27244

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  14:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand all the bitterness but the old site had a sense of community that I enjoyed.

If it can be resurrected in tact by the right administrator I for one would suport it financially.

The site was great.
The contributors were great.
Newbe's could easily find us.
No question was stupid
There was a proudness of the brand and each other for making the decision to own a Regal
We were very loyal
We spent more time on the site than we should have.

This is not a hit against BoaterEd it is great of them to welcome us in.
I just miss the uniqueness of our old site.

JMHO

Cliff and Jean
Lock 18 Hastings
2005 2665 350Mag MPI

Homeport: Ontario Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jul 12 2007 :  15:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with CHECK737. I am happy that we have found a new home but I really miss the old site. I would be glad to chip in my $$$$ every year to retain the unique style of the old ROC.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

Wishoot

RO# 22990

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  11:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So who was the "Lucky" winner?

-Mike-

1994 Regal Ventura 9.8

"Skate to where the puck is going to be"

Homeport: Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

boat106

RO# 16816

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  17:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of this moment the page remains unchanged. (1714 hrs, 14 July 07) The site does mention that nothing is going to happen until payment is made and since the auction closed COB on Friday I imagine it will be next week before we see anything. It does say the minimum is met.
Mike

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

vaughn

RO# 24329

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  18:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys:

I know we all miss the old site, but Ed may be as much or more of a victim than anyone else on this one. I assume he had some considerable expense tied up in the old forum (in servers, etc.). The response times and performance of the site were very good. This leads me to think that he was doing this as a public service. So regardless of what has happened, he should be congratulated on bringing us all together - we all benefited from his generousity the last few years.

I am just happy to see that BoaterED came through in the same spirit.

JMHO

Vaughn and Daniela
Lefroy Harbour
Ontario, Canada

Edited by - vaughn on Jul 14 2007 18:59:58

Homeport: Lefroy Harbour, Ontario Go to Top of Page

Nouchka

RO# 26572

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  19:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wishoot

So who was the "Lucky" winner?

Let's hope it's the Regal Company itself.......

Joel and Carine
2004 Regal 2465
"Nouchka"
Volvo Penta 5.0GL DP
Port-Grimaud, France

(ex Spitfire)

Homeport: Port-Grimaud, Var Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  22:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the final bid of $5500 topped the bid active all of the week. I assume at least 2 entities were bidding.

Only Regal itself or a Regal owner, in my vivid imagination, would be interested; therefore, I can only forsee that one of us won the bid, or got out bid by the factory.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

SouthernCross

RO# 27078

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or it was nobody and they only raised the bids to make it appear others were interested...

Martin and Resha
'04 3560
Orillia, ON

Homeport: Orillia, ON Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooh, how cynical! Do you really mean to imply that there are some people that are not honest and straightforward? Shocking.

Steve

Nouchka

RO# 26572

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  16:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm....Steve , are you joining us from Mars???

Joel and Carine
2004 Regal 2465
"Nouchka"
Volvo Penta 5.0GL DP
Port-Grimaud, France

(ex Spitfire)

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  17:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) You couldn't see my tongue in cheek? I submitted the video--just as instructed by Ed, Bob, and Geoff said to do!

Steve

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  22:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out on a limb and over my head......who the hell cares? The original site had become stale. BoaterEd has a far more diverse crew. I never agreed with Les' multiple "insert manufacturers brand name here" forums, however, it is not my bandwidth. That said, it is nice to see multiple brand owners exploring the entire BoaterEd site and providing input into multiple areas that benefit many. As a (saddened to be a) former Regal owner I am glad you all have found a new home. Welcome...and keep the great tips coming.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Cosmo Knot

RO# 27525

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  08:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone. I hadn't been to the Regal board in a while. I was quite surprised to find the domain name up for auction.

I just assumed that someone had forgotten to renew the domain and a squatter snatched it up.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Rugger8

RO# 24444

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  09:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Cosmo Knot! Glad you found us. We still have some MIA member's but more stragglers return everyday.

Jeff
2006 Regal 3560
Dutchtown, NY

swiner

RO# 21577

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  09:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally - I found this forum again!!! I didn't know where it disappeared to.

Steve Winer
2006 Regal 3860

Homeport: Red Bank, NJ Go to Top of Page

NAWTICAL1

RO# 23427

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  01:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with check 737. I think this site is nice but something is missing. I do not feel as connected to this site as I did with the old one. I do not log on nearly as much.

2004 Regal 3860 Hard Top
"Sol Poniente"

FOR SALE
2004 Regal 3060
Twin Volvo 5.0 GXI, DP

Homeport: New Orleans, La. Go to Top of Page

jsykes

RO# 18173

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  11:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nawtical1, I've got to agree too. I think check737 really nailed it on that list. I've been a member here for a while as well as the old Regal forum. I liked the fact that the old forum was independent from a boat or parts supplier and that there was a wide range of experience in the members. Members there were very tolerant of questions that may seem old and repeated here.

While I respect the rules here and appreciate Les' contribution to boating, I do like to see links and references to sources other than boatfix which isn't always the only place to shop. This is one of the reasons why I tend to frequent the BoatUS forums more than this.

Rommer, Since joining this site some years ago I've had the feeling there are a set of unwritten rules to avoid disrespecting Les or Boatfix. That's fair enough since he owns the site, but are they written down somewhere? It's not very welcoming to have a post edited or commented on with some subtle reference to an unwritten rule. I'm not saying you have done this, but I have seen it done several times on other threads elsewhere on this site.

Jon
2000 Regal 2660/2765 Twin Volvo 4.3GL/SX

Homeport: Muskegon, Michigan Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  11:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon

The rules are very simple here, see http://www.boatered.com/forum/policy.asp on the other hand you mention unwritten rules. As far as I know there are no unwritten rules but some of the people here have been here for years and a bond between them, this site, boatfix and Les & George personally has grown out of mutual respect and understanding. I don't agree with everything Les says and I know he feels the same about me but when I asked for this "job" (actually honor in my mind) he gave me one simple rule to follow, "please use the space to promote the growth of this site and not others" I will continue to follow this rule to the best of my ability while trying hard not to step on the camaraderie we enjoyed elsewhere. Anytime the people that post here feel I'm overstepping my bounds please say so, I'm not perfect!

Boatered is a place I have visited for about 4 years and I hope to be coming here for many years to come. I used to visit many boating sites including the one you mentioned on a daily basis but now I get my daily fix here and visit the others only rarely.

Putting on my personal hat, I've been using the Internet since the early 90's much longer than many people. There are many such "unwritten rules" or netiquette dating from that time. One of the most important was when joining a new chat/message/newsgroup people would refrain from posting and observe the goings on for a while to see if the group fit the needs of the newcomer. I've visited many places over the years, boating and non-boating alike where it was very obvious I did not fit in. I think that is why there are so many different places to visit. There is no one size fits all in the this thing called the Internet.

[Personal hat off]

Technically this thread is promoting the old site but it is of such importance to many of us that I'd "fight" Les if he asked to have it removed. (He has not) In addition, I could have easily opened up a site just like the old one as I run/own a small ISP but had decided not to since I feel that being here offers MUCH more experienced opinion than a standalone. I do plan on setting up the realtime chat room thing, better than what we had before once I return from vacation.

And finally, any site is what the members make it to be.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

Rugger8

RO# 24444

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  12:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Swiner,

Welcome aboard!

Nawtical, Check737, and others - I agree with you that some of the camraderie is missing from the old site, but we also can't cry over spilt milk. It is time to move on. Fortunately, we have someone (Rommer) with the knowledge and the will to make changes to make the board better, so let's try and do that. It's still a work in progress and hopefully over time we can recapture some of that camraderie that was lost.

Jeff
2006 Regal 3560
Dutchtown, NY

jsykes

RO# 18173

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  13:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rommer,

Thanks for your thoughts and reference to the site policy. Just to be clear, I was not aiming any criticism at you or how you have moderated. I value your experience and help on the forum.

Jon
2000 Regal 2660/2765 Twin Volvo 4.3GL/SX

Homeport: Muskegon, Michigan Go to Top of Page

Big Bliss

RO# 13313

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  13:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody clicked on their link to the old Regal Owners Forum?

Nice surprise ....

Dominic and Jacky

Bliss - 2008 Jeanneau Prestige 46

Grasonville, MD

Homeport: Grasonville, MD Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  14:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Un-freakin real!!!

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  14:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just proves what a pompous ass Ed really was.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Kenpcfl

RO# 12978

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  14:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, someone is saying F.Y. to Regal. The registration has changed for the site though. Ed is no longer shown as the contact person:

Whois info for, regalowners.com:
Registrant:
Regal Owners Club
2755 Sumba Ave
Orlando, Florida 32837
US

Domain name: REGALOWNERS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Jones, Tara dnsadminrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tECUi.com
2755 Sumba Ave
Orlando, Florida 32837
US
+1.4072916298
Technical Contact:
Jones, Tara dnsadminrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tECUi.com
2755 Sumba Ave
Orlando, Florida 32837
US
+1.4072916298

Registration Service Provider:
Electronic Communications Unlimited, Inc., dnsadminrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tECUi.com
http://www.ECUi.com
ECUi may be contacted by eMail for general domain name technical
support questions.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 02-Aug-2007.
Record expires on 18-Jul-2008.
Record created on 18-Jul-2003.

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS1.ECUI.COM
DNS2.ECUI.COM

Ken

Homeport: Panama City, FL Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  14:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed didn't get his ransom so he's trying to hurt Regal the only way he knows how. I had half a mind to bid early on but the thought of putting money in his pocket is repulsive to me.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

DogDaze

RO# 27009

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  15:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I had to check it twice as well.

I think the redirect only changed recently..
I tried not to look, but I did as recent as a week or so ago.. so this is new within the last week.

I think the Administrative Contact shown, is the same as what it was last I looked.. so I thought that was different than before as Ken notes..

Joe & Sheryl
The Great North Coast

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  15:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's actually funny! A jab, yes, but not an out-in-out insult. Could have been much worse.

Steve

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  16:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not a regal owner but wow- pretty bizarre!!! Mr. Ed must have been a real.....

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Nouchka

RO# 26572

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  18:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey it's now a Sea Ray owner's forum.......Creasy....!!!!

Joel and Carine
2004 Regal 2465
"Nouchka"
Volvo Penta 5.0GL DP
Port-Grimaud, France

(ex Spitfire)

Nouchka

RO# 26572

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  18:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should consider Ed as a Pirate....and you know what we could do to pirates....hang them high!!!

Joel and Carine
2004 Regal 2465
"Nouchka"
Volvo Penta 5.0GL DP
Port-Grimaud, France

(ex Spitfire)

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  19:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American pirates never hanged---they walked the plank.

Steve

NAWTICAL1

RO# 23427

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  22:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jsykes

Rommer,

Thanks for your thoughts and reference to the site policy. Just to be clear, I was not aiming any criticism at you or how you have moderated. I value your experience and help on the forum.

This is a prime example of what is missing on some other sites. CONSIDERATION. I have been on several other sites and seen very nasty behavior. The Regal owners are some of the most curteous, respectful people I have seen.
Even when we disagree (we do) it is usually with taste.

2004 Regal 3860 Hard Top
"Sol Poniente"

FOR SALE
2004 Regal 3060
Twin Volvo 5.0 GXI, DP

Homeport: New Orleans, La. Go to Top of Page

avstevec

RO# 27025

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  06:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious; if the new site (OK owner of the site) offers all those items to it's members (free towing, exclusive insurance rates, members only gifts)... Do all of the members of the old site who they just bought now get these offerings for free?

IMHO when you buy a business, not only do you gain it's assets but assume the liabilities... AND I'm into free stuff!

Steve
Jacksonville, FL

Homeport: Jacksonville, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Should I get into boating? Topic Next Topic: Boat Names  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.64 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com