BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Meridian and Marine Max Problems, anyone else?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bottom Paint Problems..... Topic Next Topic: Marine Max is reading your posts!........  

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jul 15 2007 :  20:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
For some of you in the forums, you know that I had many problems with my 2007 Meridian 341 NSB.
Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:29:45

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida

Liquid Diet 2

RO# 19955

Posted - Jul 17 2007 :  22:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience has been that most, not all, dealerships suck. It's not exclusive to MarineMax, but I have heard numerous complaints about several of their locations. My Four Winns dealer waved bye after initial trial and that's the last they ever wanted to see or hear of me. (Kydds on Long Island) Fortunately the Four Winns factory is awesome and took care of every problem, even stuff out of warranty.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

jbacchi

RO# 18970

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  11:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Marine Max in Houston Texas is by far the worst. I could type 50 pages of complaints I have heard from customers on my dock. Just recently they swapped a bad battery switch from another boat they had in for service and took a good one from my buddies 280 searay who had his boat in for other service. They forgot to order a new switch so needless to say, my buddy picked up his boat with a bad battery switch installed. Thats just one of 100 horror stories I have heard.

Homeport: Lake Conroe,Texas Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  11:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your not alone,

I remember RobSki having some of the same issuses (they fix only a few things, and leaving the boat in a mess).
I had my local searay dealer fix (I use that term losely)my 2003 searay. I was losing outdrive oil in both motors about a quart or so over 5 months (70 hours of use). Well to make a long story short they do over 6k in repairs, three pages of parts and descrition of what they did. It did not cost me a penny (under warrantee). At that point I was a happy guy and thought wow what a great dealer, my boat came back clean and they did the job quickly. I take the boat out the next weekend fishing, put about 3 or 4 hours on the boat. When I got back to the dock I checked the drive oil and found it was oalmost empty on both engines. When I told the dealer, they told me they are in the "winter" mode and will not be able to repair it till the spring. I was so pissed, I bought a new Silverton and traded in my searay.

Here is a better one:
Bought a new Bayliner in 2001, first off I told them not to paint the bottom, I show up to pick up the boat and guess what? the bottom is painted. (I trailered this boat so did not want paint).

I had a dozen or so small problems that took 8 trips to fix. One of the problems I had is the fridge would only work on DC, not on AC. After two trips for that they decide the fridge is bad and order me a new fridge. They install the new fridge and tell me all is ok, I get the boat home and plug in my power and have the same problem (WTF). I start checking all the wires and all seems ok, I call the manufacture and ask them WTF is up with this POS fridge? The manufacture tells me even though I am running the fridge on AC I still need to keep the DC breaker on, the fridge needs the DC to run the eletronics in the fridge, did that and never had a problem again.

So as you can see, it is not just Marine Max, PS my searay dealer at the time was an indpendent dealer not part of the Marine Max family.

Bayliner did step up to the plate for me, they extended my boat and motor warranty an additional year, and told me I did not have to use the dealer anymore to fix my boat. The allowed me to use any authorized Merc dealer to fix anything on the boat.

With my Silverton, I had an experience I have never had as a new boat owner. They allowed me to inspect the boat before I took delivery, they hired a captain to teach me how to dock the boat(3- 1 hour classes and at the end of the last class they told me they would give me as many lessons I want until I feel comfortable with the boat). The trip back to my dock was a two hour trip in the ocean, they hired a captain to come along with me on the trip. They delivered a perfect boat (as best as perfect can be). Other than minor things (sticky door, and some other stuff I can't remember) all went well.

Hang in there, hopefully they will resolve your problem and do it soon, as discussed in a previous post you really should have a surveyor go through the boat with a fine tooth comb.

Walter

I did have a survey before I bought the boat and the surveyor did pick up some problems that were corrected prior to delivery.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

pw3258

RO# 12225

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MarineMax is in the business of selling boats not making good on repairs because of poor quality control of the manufacturer. Since they have already gotten your money when you took delivery they want very little to do with you after the sale. If you are spending 100k+ then it is reasonable to negotiate an escrow to be held for a period of time until things are remedied.

Homeport: Bay Head, NJ Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  20:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No dealer would ever agree to hold money in escrow.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

pw3258

RO# 12225

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  08:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purchased 2 boats over 100k, one new and one brokered from two different dealers and both times had from 5-10k in escrow. You don't get it if you don't ask for it.

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  09:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. I can't see MarineMax doing it though. I'm surprised thyey went for it on a used boat with no warranty. You must be a good negotiator. Definitely something to consider when negotiating the next purchase.

Obsession

pw3258

RO# 12225

Posted - Jul 20 2007 :  18:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither dealer was a MarineMax dealer, so I can't say that they would or would not do it. I think it goes back to how much you are spending, how eager they are to push a boat off their floor, and if they truly stand behind the products they sell.

A used brokerage boat is no different. Get a survey, agree as to who is going to make the necessary repairs (seller, broker, buyer) and then hold that party accountable by withholding an agreed amount in escrow until the repairs are completed if they are not already completed at closing.

TurboWarp

RO# 27630

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  06:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am planning on either a Bayliner 288 at 150K or a Meridian 341 at 285K. I was also thinking of an escrow but did not think anyone would go for it. I will certainly ask now. I am 3 hours from the dealer so repairs are not going to be that easy. The dealer said that they request that the boat be operated in their area for two weeks to clean up punch down issues. Is that reasonable? 150K, let alone 285K, is a very large amount of money for me. I am moving up from a 20 foot CC. I would be extreemly disapointed, and mad, if I experianced what you describe here. What can I do to prevent such things?

Thanks...

theritz

RO# 27715

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  17:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased with marinemax Stuart. I have an 06 Meridian and yes, there were a years worth of punch list items. Mostly Mercrusier problems. Getting stuff done took time because they stock nothing...not even gelcoat for meridian or mercruiser.
I had a fourwinns 05 and that was a cluster F&*%. I will never own a Fourwinns again.
What needs to be done I think is that the state needs to step in and regulate these dearler like they do contractors. The media also can help make them step up to the plate regarding service. While I can't total claim really bad service, for $280,000, I expect fast and complete service. Marinemax also need to hug the Meridian brand and make us feel confident in the boat.

Chuck

Homeport: Fl Go to Top of Page

millsan1

RO# 25166

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  13:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marine Max of Greenbrook, NJ is great. I burned out my low pressure fuel pump (my fault). There is a nationwide back order. So I am SOL, right? Wrong. The Service manager went out and found me a pump at a competitor, bought it, and they are installing it now. I reported the problem on Monday.

2006 Meridian 391
8.1 SHO

Edited by - millsan1 on Jul 25 2007 13:44:56

Homeport: Bear, DE Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mercury is notorius for their nationwide backorders, especially on stuff that you can't run your boat without. How did you burn it out? Did you change your fuel filter and not fill it with gas?

I deal with MarineMax in Greenbrook and have had good service as well. it's not the company. It depends on your relationship with the individual service manager that determines the service you get.

Obsession

Edited by - MichaelNJ on Jul 25 2007 16:29:37

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  19:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any feedback on Marine Max in Lindenhurst, NY? I'm considering buying a 341 or 391 and would be interested hearing about any experiences. Thanks -

Sold: 2007 Meridian 391
Cummins QSB5.9 380 Diesels
'Time Well Wasted'

Homeport: Aquebogue, NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  19:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my Amberjack for Surfside3 now MarineMax, read my post above. Surfside(MarineMax), pumps out alot of boats every season, so sh-t happens when you are dealing with that kind of volume in a short period of time.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HAVE THE NEW BOAT SURVEYED, BEFORE YOU TAKE DELIVERY.

Walter.

PS if you can swing the 391 with diesel I would do it, if it is gas then I would go with the 341.

RobSki would be the guy to ask about this place, you may want to email him for the real poop.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Walter - I will contact him directly.

I am seriously considering a 2007 391 with 380s, though I am not sure I want to pull the trigger this season. Supposed to go out on a sea trial later today. I've been looking at Sedans and Motor Yachts (Silverton, Carver, Cruisers, Regal), but I believe the Sedan layout works best for us and the 391 is my favorite by far. I have not looked at the SeaRay Sedan but I have some issues with the layout.

Definitely planning to do the survey (which the salesperson welcomed, which I thought was a good sign), but from my reading quality on the 391 seems comparable with above. From my research it seems like Meridian has been getting better every year, if I move forward and get a survey I will post the results.

I've been lurking for a while and appreciate any advice. Will primarily be boating on the South Shore of Long Island, NY - interested in any perspectives on limitations of cruising/dockage/etc. with a 41' boat with a 14' beam - I am sure it will be much different than my current 27'/8 1/2 beam.

'Time Well Wasted'

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  08:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Walter - I will contact him directly.

I am seriously considering a 2007 391 with 380s, though I am not sure I want to pull the trigger this season. Supposed to go out on a sea trial later today. I've been looking at Sedans and Motor Yachts (Silverton, Carver, Cruisers, Regal), but I believe the Sedan layout works best for us and the 391 is my favorite by far. I have not looked at the SeaRay Sedan but I have some issues with the layout.

Definitely planning to do the survey (which the salesperson welcomed, which I thought was a good sign), but from my reading quality on the 391 seems comparable with above. From my research it seems like Meridian has been getting better every year, if I move forward and get a survey I will post the results.

I've been lurking for a while and appreciate any advice. Will primarily be boating on the South Shore of Long Island, NY - interested in any perspectives on limitations of cruising/dockage/etc. with a 41' boat with a 14' beam - I am sure it will be much different than my current 27'/8 1/2 beam.

'Time Well Wasted'

giolic

RO# 23638

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  09:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rors,

what kind of numbers are you talking about to buy a 391 w/diesels ?

nohst

RO# 26271

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  10:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rorschach, we are proud owners of a 2007 Meridian 391 with diesels which we bought directly from MarineMax in Lindenhurst. If you are seriously considering on puchasing from this dealership, perhaps we can help you get a good deal because we personally know the owners.

Tom & Lisa

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  17:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rorschach,
What is also nice about the the 391 is that it does not draw much water for a boat that size, I think the draw is 2'9" as opposed to my boat (smaller) which draws 3'3".

George Carlin

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom & Lisa - I would be interested in discussing, but unfortunately I can't seem to PM or email. I paid my subscription, but I guess it takes a couple of days to activate. Can you email me directly at rorschach391rb2rb2@gr5tgr5tgmail.com?

Giolic, I do not feel comfortable posting numbers publicly in the middle of a negotiation, but if you email me directly at the above email and I would be willing to compare notes.

The sea trial I had scheduled today was canceled - the boat we were to take out was sold and pulled from the water. Going to try to reschedule with another boat for next week - will try to bring a surveyor then. I did have a lot of time to crawl inside every cavity I could get into (which was quite a few) and I was generally impressed with the inner spaces. I saw very little construction debris and everything looked neat and well ordered, but there seemed to be wood framing that was either lightly glassed over or just sprayed - one of the issues David Pascoe highlighting as a common manufacturing shortcut on his website www.yachtsurvey.com. But I believe many other manufacturers in this price point are guilty of the same. Question: have any of you who bought new Meridians (particularly the 391) had a survey done, and if so what was the result? I realize we are not talking about a Hatteras, but I would be interested in hearing about limitations.

'Time Well Wasted'

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  22:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually that email address seems to have come out corrupted in the above - it should have been "rorschach391 'at' gmail.com" (not sure why the at sign gets all those odd characters attached)

'Time Well Wasted'

giolic

RO# 23638

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  23:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rors,

Good move not to post numbers public... When you get your PM set up here just PM me. The deals will get MUCH better if you wait until Sept or later to buy a new 391 as you already know.

Mark

millsan1

RO# 25166

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  03:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a 1 year old 391, and the survey did not turn up anything interesting. Few issues, all were taken care of under warranty, and none were show stoppers. very happy with our 391. Great boat. We can cruise the two of us in total comfort, I have taken her out single handing her, no problem, and we have entertained 15 or so on board, again, in total comfort. Would not hesitate to buy another.

2006 Meridian 391
8.1 SHO

Homeport: Bear, DE Go to Top of Page

tickettoparadise

RO# 27862

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  20:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought our new Meridian at Marine Max in Destin Florida just over a year ago.

BIG MISTAKE! Their service dept was horrible. 8 months into it and there was still items from the punch list we submitted on the day of delivery that were not taken care of. We called Meridian directly after 6 months and Marine Max hadn't ever submitted a single thing on our boat to Meridians Warrant Dept. Once we complained directly to Meridian, most things got done.

We have since moved to Sarasota, Bradenton area. The Sarasota Marine Max has been a night and day difference. STILL SLOW, but at least it gets done. Our service guy Michael is new at Marine Max and has done his part to get techs out to our boat. They seem understaffed!

We met the Vice Pesident of Meridian Paul Cherney and Edward Russell Vice President of Florida Operations of Marine Max at a Sarasota boat show this summer. Mr Russell did take the time to listen to our problems for about 3 hours and made sure our boat got priority. He is located at the Tampa corperate office and if you can't get things done at Marine Max, the person to call: 727-531-8150

Marine Max is maybe a great place to buy a small bowrider or a boat in the mid 20 foot range. They know nothing about taking care of Yacht owners. Even the Sarasota office doesn't have sales staff that can do a simple transacton. About 3 weeks ago we tried to look at a larger Sea Ray (52 Sedan Bridge) and contacted a Sales Person in the Sarasota office. This would only deal with us on a trade basis only and said there was no way to brokerage our boat. Didn't know the first way to roll taxes paid on current boat into new boat. Said that wasn't even possible on a brokerate situation which we later found out to be a lie.

The Meridians are nice entry level boats. Once we got the massive punch list done, the boat has been good, the hulls run with great economy compared to others. They seem to have lots of small kinks to work out. Meridian has been great on covering items thru warranty. As they grow, I am sure they will be an even better company. However we're fed up with Marine Max and won't ever buy another boat from them. We put our Listed our Meridian with Galati Yachts this last Friday and plan on buying a Tiara Sovran. Galati Salespeople can also broker boats, they know how to roll over taxes and can actually answer your questions :-)

Homeport: Bradenton, FL Go to Top of Page

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  00:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tickettoparadise - sorry to be ignorant, but this the first I have heard of being able to roll taxes paid on my current boat into a new boat - is this state specific (I am in NY)? Thanks

'Time Well Wasted'

tickettoparadise

RO# 27862

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  18:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does vary from state to state. States are always in charge of sales tax. Works in our state similar to buying a new car and trading your old car in. In Florida we pay sales tax only on the differnce. On a $400K boat at 6.5% that is $26,000 in taxes.

quote:
Originally posted by Rorschach

tickettoparadise - sorry to be ignorant, but this the first I have heard of being able to roll taxes paid on my current boat into a new boat - is this state specific (I am in NY)? Thanks

Homeport: Bradenton, FL Go to Top of Page

RonF

RO# 14220

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  21:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ticket,

I don't see how a broker could do that like a dealer taking a trade. The broker does not own any inventory, just handles the transaction. I would love for you to be right, have you got any confirming regs from Florida?

RonF
N. Palm Beach, FL
1999 Sea Ray 310DA
"Sea-esta"

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  22:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rorschach, You should ask tickettoparadise about his boat, its for sale, may be in your leage and price range. He has a 2006 411 meridian, a little larger than 391 but has more room. Very clean and well maintained boat if you ask me!!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida Go to Top of Page

Rorschach

RO# 27723

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  23:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean - the 411s are nice, but the 391 is as big as I want to go, hopefully for a long time. If we can't be happy on that, I need to find another hobby...

'Time Well Wasted'

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  22:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this talk about the 391 has me and my wife interested in one now! LOL! We were at a marina in Clearwater over the weekend and there was a 391 7 slips from us, we had to walk by her every day, now I want to look at one........!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  20:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean,
Your first post starting this thread sounds verbatum as to the poor level of service I received from MM on my first boat which I had bought from them. I bought my current boat from a dealer in the area that was reported by them to have terrible, terrible service. Much to my surprise, that dealership treated me like a king and actually called me at the end of each day they did service on the boat to give me an update!!! Unheard of!!!!!! :)

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  21:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rorschach,
I live in NY so here is the poop on the trade in: What you will do is run the transaction through a broker, the broker will charge you a fee (around 1.5 to 2%)so you will save 6% or more on the transaction (your trade in).

So in short here is how it works: You have a buyer for your 100k boat, you also have a seller that wants to sell you a 200k boat. If you were to do this on your own you would pay 8.625% on 200k = $17,250.00 in sales tax. If the broker does the deal between both of you, you will pay the broker 2% of 200k = 4k and you will pay the tax man 8.625% of 100k (the net, less your trade in) =$8,625.00. So your savinings is $4,625.00

The broker picks up 4k for doing paperwork, and you save 4k in taxes. I have never done this but do know people that have. Also, my understandin based on the above example is that the broker would do this type of deal for 2k, not 4k. so you would save 6k in taxes. It is easy money for the broker and requires no work on there part. Of course the broker will have you sign paperwork that will basicly say he is responsiable for nothing.

If you are buying a boat from a dealer, they will do the same thing, SS3 AKA Marine Max does this.

Walter

Walter

George Carlin

Previous Topic: Bottom Paint Problems..... Topic Next Topic: Marine Max is reading your posts!........  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.61 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com