BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Bottom Paint Problems.....
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Problems with 341 Meridian, Anyone else ? Topic Next Topic: Meridian and Marine Max Problems, anyone else?  

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  15:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I am having a problem with my bottom paint on a new Meridian 341 hull.
Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:31:05

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  18:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The paint is falling off because the bottom wasn't prepped right. Sandless primers do work well if they are used correctly and followed by barrier coats before the anti-fouling was applied. If you don't see barrier coat, I don't think they applied any at the factory. IMHO, anti-fouling paint without epoxy barrier coat is a complete waste of time and money. Anti-fouling paint will not protect the gelcoat from blistering, only epoxy barrier coats will do that. I'm beginning to think these manufacturers think we're pretty stupid and they can get away with about anything they want.

Was the bottom paint put on at the factory or done by the dealer?

Edited by - Gregory S on Jul 24 2007 18:59:31

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

wrkalot

RO# 7818

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Meridians come with bottom paint from the factory. I'd get after the dealer and have it done right, fully covered by your warranty.

2004 Meridian 411 "YOLO"
Fuzzy boat math: Model Name 411, Hull Length 43, LOA 46

Homeport: Kent Island, MD Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  18:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt that they warranty the bottom paint job, way too many vaiables here and the results can be less than good even if done correctly. I'm also not sure why the responsability for a poor job done at the factory would rest with the dealer?????

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  20:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I'm also not sure why the responsability for a poor job done at the factory would rest with the dealer?????"

Because they get paid from the factory to correct such problems.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  22:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they don't get the standard rate though and that's why they don't jump up and down to get "warranty work". I'd be all over the manufacturer and would want it fixed at the place of my choice. Then I'd have several independent experts look at it and give written reports.

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  19:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to meridian again today about the bottom paint,.

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:31:40

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  20:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isn't there a primer or barrier coat on the hull before the bottom paint is applied ?

this is simply ridiculous ! if the paint is coming off, the hull wasn't prep'd properly.

I would find a reputable yard, not Marine Max, and have them redo it. Try to get Meridian to cover at least some of the cost but considering the problems you've had with MM, the least they do, the better off you are. One issue of course is that if your hull develops blisters in a couple of years, Meridian may try to blame the bottom paint and prep.

Barnacles can't harm the gel coat, just cosmetically.. the problem with gelcoat is that it has to be thin or it will crack so you don't have a lot to sand or you risk going thru. that's why Meridian is concerned. this is also why a good barrier coat and primer is important early on. it protects the gelcoat.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Edited by - PascalG on Jul 27 2007 20:21:24

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Camran

RO# 27128

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  08:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Ocean Spray,
If I were you, I would redirect my thoughts toward paying an attorney to sending Meridian an agressive letter demanding that they pay for any and all costs to you for correcting their negligence. I am sorry that you have seen this in your beautiful new boat that you have spent ALOT of money for!!! You should do this immediately so Meridian does not say later that you waited too long to correct this. Send them all the bills.
Camran.

Future Meridian 341 Owner

Homeport: Venice, Fl. Go to Top of Page

Bayrat

RO# 12877

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  09:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean spray,

If done according to directions, gelcoat sanding is required prior to barrier coat. The skin is plenty thick enough to take a roughing up and it gives the epoxy barrier coat something to "bit" into. This is directly from my conversation with the Interlux rep prior to doing my own boat. Anything less will most likely result in the barrier coat coming off.

I would take whatever money Meridian is offering and apply it to having the job done correctly.

Best Regards,

Don

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.

-G Gordon Liddy

Homeport: Sodus Point Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jul 28 2007 :  17:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't make sense. This is the first I'm hearing of bottom paint problems with Meridian or any new boat for that matter. Whatever their method is, works normally. My 341 is 1 1/2 seasons old with second application of ablative bottom paint (Petit Horizon) and no problem at all. It was out of the water a few weeks ago and power washed and the paint is fine.

Clearly, some step in the process was left out or done incorrectly. Or else there is a problem with the paint or other materials they used. If that were the case, other boats manufactured at the same time would also have the problem.

I can't imagine why Meridian will not own up to this and does not consider this a warranty issue. I also don't understand why MarineMax is not going tto bat for you.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  23:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael NJ,
Second, they do not sand the bottom before paint, they acid wash it and spray on a single coat of paint!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:32:37

tickettoparadise

RO# 27862

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  19:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2006 Meridian 411.

I had the same issue with with my bottom job. After 6 months, we pulled the boat out of the water after our divers told us there was a serious problem with the bottom job twice. Our boat performance was also horrible.

We were getting .6 MPG when we took delivery of the boat when boattest.com has the boat listed at about 1 Mile Per gallon so we were off 40% in fuel enconomy. Something we had complained to Marine Max several times without them doing anything.

The bottom paid came right off with just running your finger nail over it. It flaked right off like on a 60 year old house. Meridian did accept partial libility for the bottom job and did cover all the sanding and etc necessary to get the boat back to normal which was about $1,000 extra.

While your boat is out of the water, have them check your trim tabs. Meridian put undersize screws on my tabs during installation which were all loose.

Homeport: Bradenton, FL Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  21:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pulled the boat out today and wow!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:33:20

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  22:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 to 5 coats of Interlux Interprotect followed by the bottom paint of your choice. Either ablative or hard epoxy. I like Pettit Ultima SR which is a multi-season ablative. I won't use hard epoxy anti-fouling paint anymore as they are single season paints and need re-application every spring. This leads to a lot of heavy paint build up after a few years. To me, a bottom paint job without the proper barrier coat is a complete waste of time and money. You've seen it done wrong already!

dugsboat

RO# 12779

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  23:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had two 381s. The second one was purchased new from Marine Max in Ft Myers and it was a left over model. Shortly after we took possession I took it back to them as my diver told me the bottom was completely covered with growth. The water temp in the Marina was in the 90s. I could only get 11 knots out of of her. Meridian and Marine Max agreed to redo the bottom and we had no more problems- at least with the bottom . Now, these boat are built with the proper gelcoat below the waterline, that is, in itself it is a barrier coat and it doesn't need an additional barrier coat. Most of the better manufacturers now use this type of gel coat in the hull and have for nearly a decade, and blistering has become a much smaller issue. On older boats and boats not using the correct type gelcoat, they have to add a barrier coat. In my case at least, both Meridian and Marine Max did the right thing and corrected the problem at no charge. I would expect they should do the same for you. I suggest you contact Chuck at Meridian as he is the key to success. chuck.holimanrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tmeridian-yachts.com

dugsboat

Homeport: tupper lake ny Go to Top of Page

dugsboat

RO# 12779

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  23:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the email address, I somehow copied it wrong. Chuck.holimanrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tmeridian-yachts.com

dugsboat

dugsboat

RO# 12779

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  23:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gees, It did it again. The contact is chuck holiman and he is at meridian-yachts.com

dugsboat

dugsboat

RO# 12779

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  16:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha, an explanation.
I believe Les Hall is the gremlin. Whenever one types the "at" symbol, the rb2rb2rb2rb2rb2@gr5tgr5tgr5tgr5tgr5t letter string replaces it. Somehow that helps him control spam I hear. I don't know enough 'bout that stuff to be able to explain it. Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding

dugsboat

giolic

RO# 23638

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yip ur right

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  22:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spoke to Chuck today and he said that Meridian will foot the bill.

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Edited by - Ocean Spray on Jun 23 2011 21:33:58

Previous Topic: Problems with 341 Meridian, Anyone else ? Topic Next Topic: Meridian and Marine Max Problems, anyone else?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com