boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 12 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: BUTCH1 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Help with 97 Mercruiser 3.0, won't idle
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Which Synthetic Oil do you use Topic Next Topic: Advice in dealing with blown outdrive...  

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  12:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, I believe I have an idea of what the problem is, but I'm looking for input from those who far outweigh my experience.
I've got a 97 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 3.0, very low hours on it. It's always been a cold starter, however now she won't idle. When I do get her started, I have to keep moving the throttle back and forth to keep her running. I friend of mine said he thought it sounded like the auto choke on it. Thoughts before I start ordering parts?
I appreciate all your help!

Homeport: Ilion, NY

NAWTICAL1

RO# 23427

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it stay ideled after it warms up? If not, check the idle linkage on the carb.

2004 Regal 3860 Hard Top
"Sol Poniente"

FOR SALE
2004 Regal 3060
Twin Volvo 5.0 GXI, DP

Homeport: New Orleans, La. Go to Top of Page

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  13:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it will not idle after it warms up. It dies out if I stop moving the throttle back and forth, almost like it's flooding.

A guy that I had look at it tried to make the choke open up, simulating that it was warm and it didn't work.
I did notice, looking through some other posts that a stuck butterfly could also be the problem.

Homeport: Ilion, NY Go to Top of Page

Migs

RO# 22117

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  14:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, if this is a carb'd engine, I would think the idle mixture may be lean not flooded. Moving the throttle back and forth squirts a bit of gas into the air stream. It could be a number of different things though. Does it run OK off idle? Any stuttering or hesitation as you throttle up?

Thoughts on auto choke. After it is warmed up, physically open the choke all of the way (again assuming carb'd engine, not throttle body injection or direct injection). With choke all the way open it should idle fine, if not then the choke is not the problem.

This is a whole different problem if fuel injected.

Homeport: Manahawkin, NJ Go to Top of Page

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  15:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the problem, it stalls out, like she's flooding out. That's why I was thinking the choke wasn't releasing when she warmed up. This started after she sat this winter. It's not fuel injected, it's lovely carb.

bqqmpa

RO# 27713

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  16:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check the neutral cutout switch that is right on top of the engine. make sure it bottoms out at the crotch of the vee. the switch should have a white roller on the end of the arm.

Homeport: Michigan City, IN Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Aug 02 2007 :  23:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get it to run at a high idle like 1000rpm? Is the engine hesitating and sputtering when it's running?

We need more info on how it's running.

OR you can take it in for a complete tune-up...that should fix it.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

Bondo

RO# 8246

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  09:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds to Me like you need to Rebuild the Carb,+ Fix the Choke......

"Any Grease is Better, Than No Grease At All"

Homeport: The Mouth of the Chaumont River, Chaumont Bay, Ny. Go to Top of Page

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  14:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys he's some more info. I just got her started again. She'll idle for about 30-40 seconds and then die out. I can keep her running by throttling her up, back and forth, but it sounds like she' bogging. Can I bypass the auto choke on the alpha to see if this is truly the problem? Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Sweetwater

RO# 26858

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  15:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this, hook up an outboard fuel tank, remove the fuel line at the fuel pump, attach the outboard tank, (might need adapters), unscrew vent cap on tank, fire it up and see if you still have the problem, what you are doing is, eliminating the on-board tank, anti-syphon Valve, Vent line and Fuel Lines, if the problem persists at least you have eliminated a bunch of could be possibilities, i would then check fuel pump output, as mentioned, Choke, Accelerator pump, Fuel Filter located in the Fuel in line to the Carb, it is behind the large nut on the Carb, Good Luck.

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  16:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, sounds like a choke adjustment problem. take the air cleaner off. Give the throttle one pump to release choke linkage. If the engine is cold the choke plate should be closed. Push on it and there should be spring tension keeping it closed. If not, it need to be closed slightly. Loosen the 3 screws on the choke cover plate(usually on the starboard side of the carb...black plastic disk/cup). Turn the cover back and forth and watch the action of the choke plate. Turn the cover plate until the choke plate closes, the colder the air temp the tighter the plate should be closed.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  10:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie, Thanks for your response. I've been playing with the choke plate/cover. When I make sure that the "metal tang" on the cover winding is engaged, by moving it further counter clockwise, she'll start right up and idle for a minute or two, sometimes longer. As soon as I she started to warm up and the butterfly opens she starts to stall out. I'm wondering if I've got a plain old gummed up carb and the jets are gummed up. What a pain in the Axx! Anyone want a 97 sea ray with 25 hours on it?!

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  13:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect you may be right - gummed up carb. But that may not be the only problem.

What you describe is a ten year old boat with low hours that was stored last winter. Was is stored with old fuel in the tank? Have you added new fuel this year? If so was it gas with ethanol?

The reason I ask is old gas systems, especially those that saw little use, tend to build gum and varnish as the gas ages. The new ethanol containing gasolines tend to dissolve the gums and varnish, to a point. The somewhat dissolved gums and varnish can do a great job of plugging fuel filters and carburetors. If there was any amount of water in the tanks then it can get worse. In the presence of too much water (and it's not a lot) the dissolved gums and varnish will combine with the water-ethanol layer to form a viscous, brown, layer on the bottom that some describe as gel. That will really gum up filters and carburetors. In either case, with or without water added, the idle circuit passages tend to be the smallest and get plugged up easily. If it won't idle but runs well at ~1200 RPM and above, then it's probably plugged idle circuit passages.

If you pull a carb and find brown sludge or gums in the bottom of the bowl, then you should also check the gas in your tanks (from the bottom most part) and probably change the filters as well. If you have any brown or sludgy looking fuel in the tank, then you need to get it all out or the problem will recur.

Eric

Edited by - divedaddy on Aug 05 2007 13:24:37

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  13:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Eric said. I didn't feel like writing that much.

Another check is the low speed screws. those are the little screws low on the carb. They're either on the front or side. Adjustment procedure should be in service manual. We have it here but you have to sign up to see all the special tech articles from George.

Charlie

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Aug 05 2007 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To add to Charlie's suggestion (I type reasonably fast),
here's a trick I have used with some success. First you need to know the approximate position for idle mixture adjustment and be prepared to readjust - fairly simple, but need to know. Remove the idle mixture screws, clean them with a squirt or two of Carb & Choke cleaner spray ($1.99 at local auto parts store). Then insert the little tube into the idle screw hole and squirt cleaner into the hole while watching down the throat of the carb (helps to have throttle open). If/when the lower part of the circuit passage is clean it will blast through and out the hole in the throat.

Usually the problem is not at the seat end - it's up in the bowl or in the passage between to bowl and the adjusting screw seat. But it might help. If the problem is a gummed up carb, it will at best only be a temp fix. If it helps then you know you need to rebuild the carb.

Eric

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

gski02

RO# 27899

Posted - Aug 10 2007 :  09:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, Thanks again for all your input. She was stored with "new" gas and gas treatment. However, I'm leaning toward the gummed carb. I've been using carb & choke cleaner to see if I can get her running better and then lead me to a carb rebuild. Removing the idle adjustment srew and or jet was a brief thought, and spraying it with cleaner. I'm also going to try some fuel additive to see if I can get that to dissolve some of the crap in there Frankly, I think I'm just going to end up selling her! Again thanks for all your suggestions.

Previous Topic: Which Synthetic Oil do you use Topic Next Topic: Advice in dealing with blown outdrive...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.75 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com