BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: tonyj ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 To sell or not?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fixin it yourself! Topic Next Topic: New Boat  

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We have been discussing selling the boat, maybe getting a larger one or whether we would prefer a cottage with a small runabout. I'm very conflicted, but also tired. We're getting older & need to think about just what we can handle physically. We're not physically unfit now, but it seems like every year it gets tougher to keep the boat up to our standards.
I made a list of hates & loves, only mine. We're listing the boat, but If it doesn't sell, it wouldn't kill us to keep it. Getting lots of pressure from dock mates, but we all need to do what's best for ourselves. Anybody else made this decision?

I hate:
1. Not getting launched until late April/early May
2. The constant cleaning, can't stand a dirty boat
3. Food , drink & clothes lugging
4. Days over 85 & humid without a breeze causing makeup meltdown & bad hair
5. Idiots on the water & feeling afraid
6. Unseen water hazards, bent props- expensive ones
7. Docking in the wind
8. Neglecting the house projects in the summer
9. Ignoring non boating friends & activities on the weekends
10 Hauling out Oct. 15th. (miss my boating buddies)

I love:
1. Knowing the re commissioning went well
2. The way the boat looks when it's shiny & clean, (which is always )
3. Quiet times on the Lake
4. Raft ups with best buddies
5. A good fishing day
6. A month without common maintenance issues
7. Sleeping on the boat with the rain beating down
8. Great cabin AC to escape the heat
9. Sharing good wine at the dock
10. Hauling out Oct 15 ( no more boat work)

Homeport: Seneca River, NY

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  15:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me point out that some of you "hates" will still be hates when you downsize to a runabout:

2. The constant cleaning, can't stand a dirty boat
3. Food , drink & clothes lugging
4. Days over 85 & humid without a breeze causing makeup meltdown & bad hair
5. Idiots on the water & feeling afraid
6. Unseen water hazards, bent props- expensive ones
7. Docking in the wind

These issues will still be hates if and when you donwsize.

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Cheryl Carver

RO# 28346

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  19:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny,
A cottage will come with it's own issues. You have to do what is right for you. Can you get waterfront property near the marina so you can still be with your dock mates?
Cheryl

Homeport: Port Rowan,Ontario Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  22:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sell the boat, get a runabout. Much better investment

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

saltysam

RO# 26

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  22:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is nothing worse than having a fine boat that you are not able to enjoy due to physical restrictions. Believe Me!

Cheers!
Bill

Homeport: New River, Ft Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheryl, good idea! Walter & Salty, more good ideas!! So True.

These would be really good solutions. Thanks

Homeport: Seneca River, NY Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Sunny- I know your dilemma, and sympathize. I argue with myself frequently on how silly is it to own a little airplane. My situation is one of pure unadulterated joy in the freedom of flight, interwoven with repair, fuel, and insurance sticker-shock, and guilt over not using the thing enough. Every year I rationalize, "just one more year...." And as I push the throttle forward and begin the takeoff roll to go punch holes in the sky, I don't even think about what I just spent on fuel. Yeeeeeehaw! whoooeeee.

As for your hates list: numbers 1 and 10 are easy: move south! Y'all come. Numbers 2,3, and 8 will be with you in any second home/hobby/etc, and as for #9, do invite your friends! Maybe they'll buy a nice boat, then you can sell yours, and go with them.

Homeport: Edenton, NC Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes. As for idiots... you got someplace, on or off the water you gonna go where there aren't any idiots? Let me know-- I'm gonna follow you there. :)

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amelia, LOL thanks for the laughs & advice. The older we get, the more "idiots" there are. Gawd, I sound like my father!!

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  22:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My take, for what it is worth

Not getting launched until late April/early May

No brainer - launch earlier. Mrs. Know and I have an open CC and are in the water by 04/01 every year.

The constant cleaning, can't stand a dirty boat

You will be constantly cleaning that cottage AND run about

Food , drink & clothes lugging
You still have to get food, clothes, and drink to the cottage

Days over 85 & humid without a breeze causing makeup meltdown & bad hair
I am not going near this one

Idiots on the water & feeling afraid
Those idiots will still be there whether you have a 41' boat or a run about, only your run about will be smaller

Unseen water hazards, bent props- expensive ones
Unforseen cottage repairs - new furnace, new AC, new roof - coupled with unforseen run about repairs - blown powerhead, risers and manifolds, etc.

Docking in the wind
This one I completely fail to understand. A Carver 41 you should be able to pin point control in anything short of a hurricane. Either way, you still have to dock the run about.

Neglecting the house projects in the summer
If you do a project at the cottage, you are neglecting a project at the primary home, and vice versa

Ignoring non boating friends & activities on the weekends
I had no idea there was such a thing as non boating friends :)

Hauling out Oct. 15th. (miss my boating buddies)
Haul out later - like death and taxes our boat goes in 04/01 and comes out 12/01. Usually the best cruise of the year is the day after Thanksgiving.

In the end, it is a tough decision, but remember, having a cottage has its drawbacks as well. One thing I love about my boat versus my beach house is that I can not change my neighbors at the house, but if I do not like my neighbors at the anchorage, I simply move.

Good luck.

--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  23:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"9. Ignoring non boating friends & activities on the weekends"

Sometimes, this can be a good thing!

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  10:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ITK: Thanks for being the Devil's Advocate.Alot of what you say is true. I guess when so much work gets to be a pain, it's time to simplify. Maybe a condo where it;'s warm!

"No brainer - launch earlier. Mrs. Know and I have an open CC
and are in the water by 04/01 every year."

We'd be chipping ice off the boat!

"I had no idea there was such a thing as non boating friends :)"

Some of our best friends are not anxious to be on the water

"Haul out later - like death and taxes our boat goes in 04/01 and comes out 12/01"

Tough to haul through ice

Radio, You have a point!

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  10:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean no disrespect Sunny but I think your post points out why so many of us from the northeast start to head south as we age.

We've been thinking about possible relocation.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  21:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a permanent relocation isn't necessary. Instead of hauling your boat on October 15, did you ever consider taking some time off to head south, to find yourself a pleasant marina where the water doesn't freeze, and drive or fly on down for a boat-fix whenever your feet get too cold up there? You could keep an eye on last-minute airfare sales headed this way. Then, come May, after basking through mild winter weekends from time to time somewhere amid the cypress trees and sweetgrass expanses of the eastern Carolinas, just as it's getting over-warmish down here, come get your boat and take it home. One nice additional benefit- 'Round here, we don't much care if your hair and makeup are perfect. In fact, most of us don't even bother to put on shoes. Not only would you have some lovely new territory to explore and new friends to make, you'd avoid having to winterize a cottage, too. Best of both worlds.

Maybe that's not practical, but I sure loved having a relative in Charleston, SC to visit whenever our grim, grey NE Ohio winters got too depressing. Best of all, the relative lived aboard a small houseboat out by the beach. How we treasured those 70-degree Carolina-blue days in January and February, heading out of his slip to go wildlife watching. Even up here on the Albemarle Sound, where it gets a bit chillier, most people's boats stay in the water all year, and beautiful winter weekends will find hardy sailors and fishermen out enjoying themselves.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  19:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rommer,No offense taken for sure. You speak logic & reality.

This weekend was a very sad one for us at the marina as we off loaded our personal gear. The girls were in tears & sad, the damn boat looked so fantastic I wanted to change my mind! It's not an easy decision by all means. Our problem is that we own a business here & the Cap refuses to retire, I think if he would, then we wouldn't have only hectic weekends to spend on the boat & more time to keep up with the house etc. This is indeed a time of transition & sometimes change is scary. The guys are all depressed to have "Mr. Fixit "leave them, and emotions were running high. Maybe the boat won't sell, although everyone doubts that,then we could postpone the inevitable for another season,but it is inevitable. I don't think we could go too far south....we would melt! We're too used to 100 inches of snow! I'm sure we'll fighure something out. What's the worst that can happen? There's a bazillon boats for sale if we regret selling.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  20:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amelia, Good points. I forgot to mention in #3 hate that we also lug two dogs with us. Yes getting away for a boat fix would help. We did that last year, but not long enough. But we do have a former employee & friend in Charlotte & another good friend in Hertford NC with a huge sailboat. Maybe it's time to pay them visits! :o) We have tons of air miles, although it's next to impossible to fly out of this town in Feb.Actually almost becomes a ghost town except for the snow plows!

PS: Got to look good, it's a must!! (Then it doesn't matter if you burn the toast) Us New Yorkers just HAVE to look good!

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  21:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hertford's right next door and charming, so if you come this way for a visit, give us a call and stop in! (Introduce me to your friends with the sailboat-- they need crew?) I hear you with the risk of melting-in-Southern-heat problem. Although we're beautifully situated here in the most gracious town in all of paradise, and even get a pretty two inches of big, fat snowflakes once or twice most years, my homesick Ohio boy still mourns leaving his nasty northern winters, and has convinced himself that 85 degrees in Amish country was perfectly fine, while the same 85 here with a breeze off the bay, is HOT. Got some sympathy here... somewhere...still looking... oh, well, maybe it will turn up.

Best of luck with the boat sale.

PS- Lookin' good is one of those eye-of-the-beholder things, and my mirror, bless it, tells me exactly what I want to hear: 'you're the cutest skinny 25-year-old on the block, and you can still get away with not wearing makeup and with stick-straight hair.' And I believe every word of it. Not only that, my grandchildren don't seem to care one way or the other.

Ocean Spray

RO# 20033

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a dilema! Thats why I moved to Florida, the sun allways shines and boating is year round, yes we sweat in the summer (Melt) but we sure enjoy the winters! You will get used to the heat,,we all did, I am from New York as well (The real New York/Long Island area, you are from New York State, theres a difference! LOL!) Its the cold and ice thats slowing you down, time to move south!

The only draw back is now you will have to wash your boat every week or so in order to keep it clean! Wax every other month to keep the huge terridactalls from pooping all over your eisenglass, they make such a mess! Happy boating!

Ocean Spray II
Captain Pat

Homeport: Sarasota, Florida Go to Top of Page

slats

RO# 19122

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  08:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here on Long Island, we launch in early April and haul mid-November.

As for food, drink, clothes - we store all on the boat and/or in the dock box, and only bring perishables.

Why is hair and make-up on humid days a concern? One of the things I love about boating is not having to do my hair or put on make-up - I wear a cap, and my skin loves the break from the weekday "painting and spackle".

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean, My parents had several home in SE FL. My sister lives in GA. They all loved the heat, the hotter the better, while I would be compelled to sit in the AC with a wet towel on my head feeling nauseaous. Different internal thermostats I guess.
You bet there'a a difference between NY/ LI & Upstate...the REAL Upstate! Most of our tax dollars travel Downstate!
You're right about the snow & ice slowing us down, but FL is not for us. Every time we visit there we find it frustrating to slow the pace down to idle speed at the grocery store or anywhere else. We've been North Easterners too long I'm sure we would stall out! :o)

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  10:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amelia, too funny! I can relate to your DH !

Slats, It must be great to be so free. My buds & I must be insecure or afraid of scaring the guys!

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  11:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amelia, I see a lot of mention of flying, but no mention of your houseboat project - making any progress on it? (Not being sarcastic, I'm just curious - haven't seen anything posted on it in quite a while...or am I looking in the wrong places?)

-- The Head Master --

Homeport: Millville, NJ Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  17:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Vic- yep, it's comin' along... at a nice deliberate houseboatish pace. It seems the boatwright forgot he's supposed to be retired, and, feeling sorry for desperately shorthanded colleagues, he has spent most of the last three months playing rent-a-doc instead. It sure cuts into carpentry time. But the walls are now sheathed in plywood, and the rafters are nearly done. Looks more like a shantyboat, and less like an oddball barge. I'm campaigning hard to have it dried in by Christmas, so himself and I can let our visiting offspring-- and their brand-new babies and a toddler-- have the house. We could then retreat to the dock for some peace and quiet. Planning ahead to the following year, when the grandbabies are all walking and into everything in sight, we'll be able wish them all a Merry Christmas and cast off.

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  22:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember one thing.....if you have a boat and you see your relatives coming down the dock or you don't like your neighbors you can always leave. If you have a house, you're stuck!

Homeport: edison, nj Go to Top of Page

Bill 2

RO# 1779

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  23:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

Yeeeeeehaw! whoooeeee.

-Amelia-
-When it comes to boating - anywhere - anytime - this comment made by you with reference to the way that you feel when you fly says it all. I cannot think of any activity that makes me smile all over quite the way that boating still does.

I had a ride on a Duffy 35 in Scituate (MA) Harbor today. There was a light breeze coming in off the ocean out of the NE, and it was all I could do to contain myself as I breathed in the fresh salt air. Believe me, the way that I was feeling was "Yeeeeeehaw! whoooeeee". I hope it never stops.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01

Homeport: Cape Cod Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  09:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Bill- I spent yesterday morning (totally becalmed) with friends out on a glassy Albemarle Sound, the most peaceful situation imaginable, recalling the words of my impecunious father, who, whenever he found himself on a boat of any description, would sigh happily, and "wonder what the po' folk are doing today?"

Previous Topic: Fixin it yourself! Topic Next Topic: New Boat  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.53 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com