BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Regal Owners
 Show off your boat modifcations!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1997 Regal Ventura 8.3 SC Topic Next Topic: Everyone Sold their Regals?  

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  19:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting this thread and making it a "sticky" so we can all show the various improvements we have made to our Regals.

I'll post some of mine after someone starts us off. Small, med. or large projects are welcome.

Enjoy the show!

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ

KentnSuzi

RO# 27284

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  19:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go Rommer, I'll start you off. Here was a July project replacing the junk Quicksilver controls with Keikheiffer Zero Effort controls.

"ILIMA"
Flower of Oahu
REGAL 322
Kent and Susan
Idaho Falls, Id.

Homeport: Id Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  20:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a great mod for 3880/4080 owners. Recover the LARGE amount of space under the bridge stairs.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Edited by - rommer on Nov 03 2009 16:44:14

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  21:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, not technically a Mod, but here's 1) Navman GPS with fuel computer; 2) Bennett ATC (Auto Tab Control); and 3) Raymarine ST5000 Autopilot. GPS, AP, and Icom 402 (not in picture) are all tied together with NEMA. Toggle under dash depth sounder is to turn it off so it's signal doesn't interfere with port mounted LCD fish finder.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Edited by - sugilbert on Oct 11 2007 21:49:55

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  21:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about turning one of the PDF storage compartments into a cleaning supply holder.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Edited by - rommer on Nov 03 2009 17:01:15

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  11:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change forward stateroom TV to an LCD with storage cabinet.

Original setup. (Not my boat but similar)

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Edited by - rommer on Nov 03 2009 16:46:51

Patrick Griffin

RO# 2910

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  16:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done a bunch of minor modifications over the past 9 years but the couple that come to mind are:

I made a towel bar to match the corian counters in the galley. I got a piece of table molding from Regal, made a jig for the shape, installed screw inserts on the back, and screwed it into the wall from inside the head behind the mirror. This was a project to make the wife happy!!

The biggest project and best modification was the purchase and installation of the swim platform. The first three years of production of the 292 did include an extended swim platform. It was the only thing missing from making it a prefect boat. We liked the one we had on our Regal 233. So when they came out, I had to have one. So the dealer ordered me one and I installed it. Also as the years went by they started installing pop-up cleats on the platforms, so of course mine had to have them as well. There in the corners.

I have completed many other projects over the years to make it a better boat; installed an inverter system with remote Link control, installed mounts in the engine compartment for the cockpit table, installed full length mirror on head door, and installed a GPS chartplotter system.

That's about it so far.

Ananda

Homeport: Arroyo Grande, Ca Go to Top of Page

20032100lsr

RO# 27089

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  14:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll bite - 2003 Regal 2100LSR. Here are a couple for the smaller regals: compass (if it didn't come stock), PerfectPass cruise control (has to be the best thing I have ever added!), Lenco Trim Tabs, Faria Fuel Manager (same as Navman 2100), PowerTech 4 blade 19P. Yeah, I like gadgets. Can't decide what is next.....?? Don't say a bigger boat!! I love my 2100LSR.

Edited by - 20032100lsr on Oct 21 2007 14:43:23

Homeport: Hopkinsville, KY Go to Top of Page

SHEP

RO# 21689

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  16:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KentnSuzi

Here you go Rommer, I'll start you off. Here was a July project replacing the junk Quicksilver controls with Keikheiffer Zero Effort controls.

Did you mount those controls backwards on purpose? (windshield....?)

Monterey 298 SC

Homeport: Portsmouth, VA Go to Top of Page

KentnSuzi

RO# 27284

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  16:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol They are not mounted backwards. They are the aft cant version. I ordered both forward cant and aft cant and liked the way the aft cant felt when sitting or standing. Then sent the forward cant set back to Mercury.

"ILIMA"
Flower of Oahu
REGAL 322
Kent and Susan
Idaho Falls, Id.

Homeport: Id Go to Top of Page

Freedom 45

RO# 27911

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  18:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some modifications we've made to our 3560.

Dish towel bar under the galley counter...

Forward sonar and synch gauge...

Forward sonar transducer...

Separate cleats for hanging fenders...

Second VHF station in the salon...

Underwater transom lights...

Raw water washdown in the bow locker...

Windlass remote control switch...

And a simple but practical one, a 12V outlet in the forward stateroom...

...just too many gadgets out there that we couldn't resist!

Dietmar & Suzanne
Freedom 45

2005 Regal 3560, Merc 496 MAG, I/O, B3
Victoria Harbour, Ontario

Edited by - Freedom 45 on May 14 2008 22:33:38

Homeport: Victoria Harbour, Ontario Go to Top of Page

Canada

RO# 20021

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  16:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like some of Freedom 45's changes (specifically the dish towel holder and extra cleats). Might just do the same darn thing to mine.

In the meantime, here is just a couple of quick ones that we played around with on our 3260

Didn't like the existing table so made a new one out of maple.... easier to slide in and around...

Also made a handy little shelf for that I could put the el cheapo BBQ on (or anything else when at anchor (ie: drinks or snacks) -- I since got a new 'real' BBQ mounted the swimplatform.

And, just quick and dirty, I added some pipe lights around the arch - which added just a nice glow (versus the arch lights that are bright as all get out).

Haven't really done anything with the 3560 but I did bring the existing table home with me for a template and my winter project is to make a new one with a flip extension on it (current one is just too darn small - especially when playing poker).

Kathy and Greg
Knottiii Grotto
2006 - 3560 Regal

Homeport: Orillia, Ontario Go to Top of Page

kats eye

RO# 23797

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  08:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what i made to put my Dingy on the back of are 322
Here it is laying on the deck

Here it is in place

Here it is with the dingy on

As you can see it is all removable so you can clear the deck when you put in the dingy.

Kurt and Marcia
KATS EYE
Cataba Island
Lake ERIE

Homeport: Lake Erie Go to Top of Page

greendoc

RO# 28554

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  21:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Griffin

I have completed many other projects over the years to make it a better boat; installed an inverter system with remote Link control, installed mounts in the engine compartment for the cockpit table, installed full length mirror on head door, and installed a GPS chartplotter system.

That's about it so far.

Do you have any pics and description of the mounts in the engine compartment for the cockpit table? I am so sick of never having a decent place to hide it when we don't use it - it ends up on the front bed most of the time, preventing us from using it during the day.

Thanks!

Akiba

Dr. Akiba & Alissa Green
"Baby Gator"
1999 Regal 292 Commodore

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

greendoc

RO# 28554

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  21:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done a few projects on the boat since purchasing her, although most of the investment seems to have been in repairing and undoing salt-water damage from the previous owner…

I put a rod-holder in the starboard aft corner right next to the transom door that is used primarily for BBQ…

My favorite project I’ve had done is replacing the bow sunpad cushion with this beauty – the old tan vinyl just doesn’t compare to a nice Sunbrella furniture fabric with a green and white pattern which matches the boats colors perfectly.

Additionally, when the boat’s at dock and we’re just hanging out, it gets so hot in the cockpit so we installed a solid canvas piece above the windshield that replaces the 3 isenglass partitions normally there…drops temperatures at least 10 degrees!

Had satellite installed at the dock which hooks up perfectly and got a spare Dish receiver from home to bring up the boat – for $5/month to get satellite at the boat, not a bad deal…The satellite receiver fits nicely above the galley and we replaced the standard VCR/TV with a 15” LCD flatscreen and little DVD player…have an Inverter I use when we’re out on the water to watch about 8 local channels off the boat’s TV antenna or a DVD and use the AC outlets at dock…no generator yet for AC power…that’s next year’s project.

Additionally, I replaced the 12v cabin refrigerator with a 12v DV/120vAC unit which is actually a little bigger than the old one. Also, put in a new Alpine CD receiver with iPOD direct connect and a wireless waterproof RF remote to use in the cockpit.

Dr. Akiba & Alissa Green
"Baby Gator"
1999 Regal 292 Commodore

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

SK

RO# 2382

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  21:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's see if I can get these posted. Mostly just small stuff, rainy day projects.

Gas fume detector by the steering wheel on the right. That dash was THICK, almost an inch. Drill, drill, drill

Counter top cup-holders from SeaRay. Regal didn't make this style until about 2003, so I had to go elsewhere. The following year they came out with a 4-drink holder. Rats!

Stainless cup holder inserts from Formula. Once again, Regal didn't have these in 2002 so I paid $25 apiece from the Formula dealer.
The grab rail I added also, but Regal sent me that for free

More grab rails I added. Purchased those from Regal so they matched the front one. They were actually cheaper than after-market ones.

Stereo upgrades included a 10 disc changer, and a transom remote below, Also added a big a$$ power amp.

All Kenwood stuff, not expensive, works well with original head unit & dash remote

Needed a cockpit trash can badly, copied hanging it from the cabinet door from Chaparral

Lots more uninteresting mechanical upgrades to help with the boat's operations. It's amazing how many brackets, snaps, hinges, and straps had to be added to make this boat functional. So many builders miss the small stuff, luckily its usually easy to upgrade.

Close only counts in horseshoes and docking.

Homeport: Lake of the Ozarks Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fenton

RO# 27071

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  04:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rommer I like the understair locker you have fitted. Can you tell me where you got the surround and door for that job?

I am in Australia and have been looking for a door/locker surround like that for a while are they something you can buy off the rack in U.S.A.?

Thanks

Crownline 250CR 2006
350 MAG B111

Homeport: Melbourne Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  07:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew

I got the door from SSI Custom Plastics. Part number 441-1614A-1100P found at http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/access.htm

They don't always have things in stock. You may have to wait for them to do a production run for a boat manufacturer and they pull one for you. The door was pricey thou, about $120 IIRC. Really opened up a large storage space so worth it to us.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Andrew Fenton

RO# 27071

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  08:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rommer tht is fantastic I will contact them and see if they will ship to OZ

Crownline 250CR 2006
350 MAG B111

Homeport: Melbourne Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 14 2008 :  23:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rommer

Andrew

I got the door from SSI Custom Plastics. Part number 441-1614A-1100P found at http://www.ssicustomplastics.com/access.htm

They don't always have things in stock. You may have to wait for them to do a production run for a boat manufacturer and they pull one for you. The door was pricey thou, about $120 IIRC. Really opened up a large storage space so worth it to us.

How did you cut the opening, PS, great post for the site, job well done.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 14 2008 :  23:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rommer

Change forward stateroom TV to an LCD with storage cabinet.

Original setup. (Not my boat but similar)

Tell me more about this, I want to do this in my salon, I see the wood grain does not match, but the color is very close.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

SR360aft

RO# 19538

Posted - May 15 2008 :  00:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great post with some great ideas.

86 Sea Ray 360 AC "2 Can"

With polished anchor

Homeport: KnoxVegas, TN - Rancho Santa Margarita CA Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - May 15 2008 :  02:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great thread. It shouldn't be brand specific. I'd bet a lot of other boat owners have a lot of input also.
I just hope my wife doesn't see this thread.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - May 15 2008 :  07:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The opening for the bridge stair door was cut with a jig saw and rotozip.

As for matching the wood, the location of the cabinet is such that it is only seen while one is in bed and
an exact match was not needed.

I could have gotten some of the laminate from Regal and used that but opted for a piece of oak plywood and
then used oak trim laminate to the door edges so it looks like solid oak. Applied with a home iron borrowed
from the wife. All my parts, including hinges were purchased at my local Lowes and Home Depot with the exception
of the door latch which I found online at a marine clearance site, ITC something or other. Not counting the
TV and mount the cost was less than $75 for the new closet and door.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - May 15 2008 :  07:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to take a few pictures this weekend of some of the other very simple cabinet improvements I've made.

Most boats I have seen have cabinets with no shelves and I like addind shelf's which look factory installed.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

jeremyp111

RO# 11603

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  06:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some pics of my swim platform upgrade. I purchased the platform from swimplatforms.com and I have to say, those guys are great to deal with. The quality of the platform is amazing. This is by far the best upgrade I could have done. We use it all the time while anchored out. It's kind of like an extension to the cockpit now.

Some of the other projects I've done to the boat are:
* Stereo Upgrades
Kenwood KTS-MP400MR Marine CD/MP3 Player
Kenwood wired dash remote control
10" Kenwood Marine subwoofer
Infinity speakers
2 new amps (JL Audo & Phoenix Gold)
Kenwood 10 disc changer
* 15" LCD widescreen HDTV & DVD player
* Replaced cockpit icemaker with new Norcold AC/DC fridge

Sorry I don't have pics of these upgrades at this time. I'll get some on here this spring when the season starts!

Jeremy

Jeremy
1995 Regal 322 Twin 7.4L Bravo 3s
"CLOUD 9"

Homeport: Lake Winnipesaukee, NH Go to Top of Page

MrsRobinson

RO# 19626

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  20:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 3780 we were thinking it would be nice to install a piece of canvas across the stairs that lead to the bridge to give you more shade down below when not using the bridge. Anyone done this or thought of this?

Greg
2001 Regal 3780
Twin Horizon 7.4

Homeport: Deltaville, VA Go to Top of Page

Kellyg

RO# 19800

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  08:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try the Regal Forum.

Gary
Mt. Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
2002 Striper 2101DC

Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner.

Homeport: Patchogue,NY Go to Top of Page

Kellyg

RO# 19800

Posted - Nov 02 2014 :  08:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try the Regal Forum.

Gary
Mt. Sinai, NY
2001 Regal 3780
2002 Striper 2101DC

Smooth seas never made a skillful mariner.

Homeport: Patchogue,NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1997 Regal Ventura 8.3 SC Topic Next Topic: Everyone Sold their Regals?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.52 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com