BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 16 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: Capt.Stan ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Volvo 5.7 oil capacity?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: MPI engines? Topic Next Topic: Help - corrosion on VP drive (pics)  

muddkatt

RO# 27304

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  10:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many quarts of oil is needed to fill the 1997 5.7 (GM) after a oil and filter change?
5 quarts and it barely touches the dipstick.

1997 Wellcraft Eclipse 2400S
5.7 Volvo Penta tweaked to 330HP
DP-S DuoProp w/F6 props
FWC system by Monitor Products

Homeport: Tarpon Springs, Fl.

Msibley

RO# 16534

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  10:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your engine level? Inaccurate readings will happen if you have a list or the boat "squats" heavily. 5 quarts with filter is the number.

Mike
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over."
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are."
- Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, Commanding, Union Armies-Military Division of the Mississippi

Homeport: Melbourne, FL Go to Top of Page

muddkatt

RO# 27304

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  11:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boat is on the trailer, in the driveway, engine is VERY close to being level. I felt like 5 was the number, but it appears that it wants 6-7. I will carry a couple of extra, drop it in the water and add as needed.

DP-S DuoProp w/F6 props

Homeport: Tarpon Springs, Fl. Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  12:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My engine manual says 6 quarts for each of my Volvo 5.7's with filters. However, since the electric pump I used didn't pump all of it out, they ended up being overfilled even though I started by pouring in less than 5 quarts. I need to go pump a bit of oil out now!

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  15:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Crusader 5.7's with the same GM block take approx. 6 1/2 qts total each after a quick start and topping to the mark, including the oil with which I prefill the remote filter at the front of the engine. An engine w/o remote filter would take a bit less. I do have a permanently installed Reverso oil pump that does a good job of getting most all of the old gunk out through the pan drains & I often even sacrifice a half qt of new oil to help chase out the last of the old in the pan.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

muddkatt

RO# 27304

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  10:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally found the website for Volvo and made it to the CORRECT page, etc.. The 5.7 has a capacity of 6 quarts. Sandy, I had a Pontiac that I bought brand new that had a capacity of 4 quarts according to the owners manual and the shop manual. It took 4.75 quarts fill it to the full mark. The dealer even ordered a new dipstick....4.75 qts with it as well. So the fact that your Crusader 5.7's hold about a half quart extra does not suprise me. My 01 GMC has a 5.3 that holds 6 quarts, but when I change the oil in it, the oil is much higher on the stick than it was on the Volvo after the first 5 qts. Since this boat was just recently purchased, I have to learn all the specs on it. Thanks for the replies everyone.

DP-S DuoProp w/F6 props

Homeport: Tarpon Springs, Fl. Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Oct 28 2007 :  15:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even the way you insert the dipstick will change the indicated level by a good bit because the stick bends under the engine in the pan at a severe angle and the level marks can end up on the upper or lower side. On mine it makes over a 1/4 qt diff in reading, surprising since the stick is so thin. For consistency, I always insert the stick with the printing or oil icon legible from the outside of the engines, and always take a second reading as the 1st is seldom accurate. I expect most do this but it's worth mentioning.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: MPI engines? Topic Next Topic: Help - corrosion on VP drive (pics)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.72 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     

boat-ed.com
Boatered.com