boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 13 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: sunnydaze948 ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Inside Passage 2008
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: First Time Seattle to Port Hardy Topic Next Topic: New Dinghy advice needed for Meridian 490
Page: of 3

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  22:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K.

Our peerless, fearless, leader, OARLOX, has announced his retirement, in the "Charts" thread, and I just KNOW he's working on plans for Summer 2008. At the very least he's taking notes while The Lady Anne is telling him what HER plans are for Summer 2008.

It's time to start the thread where we all join in to do our wishful thinking for 2008.

You're up, Rob! Please tell me you will be out on the water for the best part of the Summer, and you might just make it as far South as, say Sitka! I'll come that far North to spill some beer with ya'!

Old_Salt

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

OARLOX

RO# 6476

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  11:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retirement came just a little earlier then planned, but only by a couple of months. All by my choice! I've got my health and full support of my family. What else can a guy need? I will be ending a 37 year career that I've never really enjoyed, but I did make a good living that has allowed me to retire at a reasonable age. As for the cruising future I have only planned a couple of years into the future. In 2008 we plan on cruising thru out the South Central Alaska region, wintering out 08/09 in Seward then starting a full summer voyage south twords Puget Sound. Beyound that we have thought about taking the "Lady Anne" to Mexico. As for this winter I plan on skiing a hundred days and finishing my rebuild the galley project.

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne"
Willard Pilot House 40
Girdwood, Alaska

Homeport: Alaska Go to Top of Page

nosail

RO# 9485

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  13:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I envy you guys that are retired. I hit double nickels last week (freedom 55 my a$$). Doubt I'll be retiring anytime soon. Hoping to get at least 2 weeks this summer and head to the Broughtons (probably in Fogust). In the meantime I'll be enjoying your pictures and experiences and filing them away for when I can do the mid-coast.
Regards, Rick

Homeport: Burnaby, B.C. Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  14:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OARLOX

... As for the cruising future I have only planned a couple of years into the future. In 2008 we plan on cruising thru out the South Central Alaska region, wintering out 08/09 in Seward ...
How far West do you think you'll go, Rob? With your range on the Lady Anne you're capable of getting to Unalaska and beyond, but is that of any interest to you?
quote:
... then starting a full summer voyage south twords Puget Sound. Beyound that we have thought about taking the "Lady Anne" to Mexico.

Which routes would you take South from Ketchikan to Puget Sound? It sounds like my chances of meeting up with you in B.C. waters in 2009 are pretty good. If I can be of any help with anchorages for this leg, here or on another forum, please let me know. You're going to love the warm winter in Mexico, but I'll be trying NOT to think of you. That's just too depressing for a guy in a 30 footer stuck in the rainy PNW for the winter.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  14:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Rob, always good to hear of someone who has decided to retire while they have good health and full support of their family. You're right, that's all that is important. Enjoy it and hope to see you on the waters someday.

For me, 2008 is a year of testing my employer's desire to keep me around but allow me to have additional vacation time for more summer cruises. I plan on a week cruise through the San Juans in July ending at Sidney for the Glasply Rendezvous July 11-13, a week fishing for salmon in Discovery Passage north of Campbell River in August while staying at Brown's Bay Marina and a 2 week trip into Desolation Sound starting first of September. Lots of planning to do and charts to review...........

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  16:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nosail

I envy you guys that are retired. I hit double nickels last week (freedom 55 my a$$). Doubt I'll be retiring anytime soon.

If a dummy like me can wangle it at 55, there's gotta' be hope for a smart kid like you.
quote:
Hoping to get at least 2 weeks this summer and head to the Broughtons (probably in Fogust). In the meantime I'll be enjoying your pictures and experiences and filing them away for when I can do the mid-coast.
Regards, Rick

2 weeks in the Broughtons can be a wonderful time. We spend some time there each year. Which routes do you plan to take going and returning? Where do you stop over on the way North and South? Which anchorages do you prefer when you get there? Any anchorages with which you have had a bad experience?

Rick, if you get a full 16 days in your 2 weeks or wangle an extra week, it isn't unreasonable to think about going into Seymour Inlet, or around the Cape to Smith Inlet, or Rivers Inlet and Duncanby Landing for a few days.

Old_Salt

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 03 2007 :  21:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillV

... I plan on a week cruise through the San Juans in July ending at Sidney for the Glasply Rendezvous July 11-13,...
Bill:
I'm glad you're going to Sidney for the Glasply rendezvous. Bob (mrtrouts) has to go all the way to Sydney, Australia for his.
quote:
... a week fishing for salmon in Discovery Passage north of Campbell River in August while staying at Brown's Bay Marina ...
Boy, will you ever get to know Discovery Passage, and maybe Seymour Narrows, after a week of fishing out of Brown Bay. If I remember correctly, the guides sometimes take the boats all the way to Hall Pt. at the North end of Nodales Channel. Good luck fishin'! Lots of whale watching tours out of Campbell River, too.
quote:
... and a 2 week trip into Desolation Sound starting first of September. Lots of planning to do and charts to review...........

Is the Labor Day holiday on Sept.1 or 8 next year? The crowds usually start to thin out after Labor Day and I find the area much more enjoyable then. The Admiral and I went through there twice this past Sept., spending several days, and there were only a few boats in the anchorages. On your way North and South, Westview will have the best fuel prices in the area.

Old_Salt

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 04 2007 :  10:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS: Labor Day is Sept 1, always first Monday in Sept. and we'll probably be north of Seymour Narrows the whole week, maybe chasing the charter boats if they're catching fish.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

nosail

RO# 9485

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  09:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS, I'm self-employed and trying to get the kids up to speed to run the business when I'm away, but they have a ways to go. I'm hoping to take 2-3 months down the road and if I can figure out how to use a laptop with satellite capabilities maybe sooner than later. To be honest I've never gone via Discovery. I've always gone what I call the back way through the Yucultas, Dent, etc. We usually try to hit Squirrel Cove the first night but it depends on how the Malaspina treats us, otherwise our yacht club just leased dock space in Farrington Cove and we could stop at Pender. I like anchoring in Waddington Bay on Bonwick Island. The only place we had uncomfortable anchoring was the somewhat exposed Farewell Harbour off Blackfish Sound. I've still got lots of exploring to do there. Coming back down I like to stop at Blind Channel for a night. If the southerlies don't blow one of my favorite anchorages is Tribune Bay on Hornby, beautiful beach and warm clear water for swimming. Now you got me thinking and planning for next summer.
Regards, Rick

nosail

RO# 9485

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS, I forgot to mention I just read the thread on the Bayliner Forum about the 36' tide swing. You had me laughing out loud, it made my day.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  10:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OS: Labor Day is Sept 1, always first Monday in Sept. and we'll probably be north of Seymour Narrows the whole week, maybe chasing the charter boats if they're catching fish.

Bill:
Sorry if I misinterpreted your plans. I think I got the week in the San Juans in July correct. When you said, "a week fishing for salmon in Discovery Passage north of Campbell River in August while staying at Brown's Bay Marina ..." I took that to mean you would be Chartering a boat (and a guide?) out of Brown Bay in August, as opposed to taking your Glasply up there. Not sure I got that right now.
When you said, "...and a 2 week trip into Desolation Sound starting first of September ..." followed by "Labor Day is Sept 1 ...and we'll probably be north of Seymour Narrows the whole week, maybe chasing the charter boats if they're catching fish ...", in your second post, you lost me. When you reach the North end of the Strait of Georgia (Chart 3513), Desolation Sound is to the East of Cortes I. and leads to the Yucultas passage North (Chart 3538 East half); and Discovery Passage and Campbell River and Seymour Narrows (the Westernmost passage North) and Brown Bay are to the West of Quadra Island (Chart 3539 West half). The passages, Sutil Channel, Surge Narrows (Beasley Passage), and Okisollo Channel, between Cortes I. (to the East)and Quadra I. (to the West)are the third and middle route North (Chart 3539 middle and Chart 3940). I'm not sure whether you're going to be fishing the Brown Bay area in Sept. or kicking back in Desolation. Help an old guy out here, Bill!

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  14:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nosail:

That was a scary post you did up above, Rick. It was like "deja vu" all over again!

"I'm self-employed and trying to get the kids up to speed to run the business when I'm away ..."
When I opted for retirement, and bailed out of the business world (at age 55) I disposed of the Seattle, Buffalo, Hamilton, Edmonton warehouses and then sold the local related B.C. business to my 2 sons, my best employee, and my 2 best customers. That ferry ride to the Sunshine Coast was like closing a door behind me!

"To be honest I've never gone via Discovery."
I hadn't gone North that way either until my aunt moved back to Campbell River a few years ago. Now we make a point of overnighting there in at least one direction. Got to know Kanish Bay and Small Inlet as our Southbound pre-rapids stopover and Gowlland Harbour Northbound, so that was good!

"I've always gone what I call the back way through the Yucultas, Dent, etc. We usually try to hit Squirrel Cove the first night but it depends on how the Malaspina treats us,.."

The Yucultas are the most fun! The Admiral drove them both ways this fall and did a great job. (At one point, going well into the flood, on the Southbound leg, I stood up and moved behind her at the helm, to warn her that she was getting a leettle bit close to the whirlpool in Devil's Hole on our s/b. Before I spoke, She-who-must-be-obeyed growled, "Siddown! I see it!", and then hit the throttles. I sat down o.k. Somewhere back in the cockpit!)
Squirrel Cove is a reasonable goal for the first night, and as we have a shorter run than you, we often head up Lewis Channel and come back to von Donop Inlet, which is always less crowded. Malaspina is right up there with Sabine Channel as one of the worst stretches of water on the coast. You have 2 chances in 4 of being in the "wind-opposing-the-tide situation", and 1 in 4 of going against some really ugly chop. We have always felt that we were "almost home" when we reached Grief Point, Southbound. In our twilight years, , we have taken to pulling out in Sturt Bay or McRae Cove, and calling it a day.

"I like anchoring in Waddington Bay ...".
SSHHH! In the mud behind the island?

"The only place we had uncomfortable anchoring was the somewhat exposed Farewell Harbour off Blackfish Sound..."
I have never stayed there ... it always looked uncomfortable! I don't relish the wakes of the insy-outsy charter boats too much. I'll try it on my way North next spring and give you a written report, 25 words or less. Mound Island is a really nice, peaceful spot, even with a bit of a blow in Blackfish Sound or in Johnstone Strait. The worst thing is the increasing popularity with the commercial crabbing interests.

"Coming back down I like to stop at Blind Channel for a night."
We always stop in at least one direction to top up with fuel and water, to check out the fresh baked goods, and to say hello to Phil and get his "books we really oughta' read" recommendations. Next time you're through ask Phil if he has any "deals" on "skunky beer". Then stand back while he explodes! When he calms down, he'll explain to you.

"...one of my favorite anchorages is Tribune Bay on Hornby ...".
SSSHHHH!

"Now you got me thinking and planning for next summer."
That was the whole idea. So. let's hear about it.
Scary post, Rick.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  19:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I'm planning on running my boat up to Brown Bay 1st week in August and fishing for 3-4 days before returning home. As much a fishing trip as it is a test run to see how everything holds up to an 8-10 hour run at 20knots, stopping for fuel only. Leaving Sandy Point on a Monday morning, stopping at White Rock to clear customs and then onto Silva Bay for fuel, then a quick stop in Campbell River to top the tanks off and arriving at Brown Bay for 3-4 days of fishing with my son, BIL and his son.

My 2 week Desolation Sound trip will start Aug 30th and end Sept 14th. We'll enjoy a easy cruise up the Sunshine Coast, visiting a few marinas along the way and working our way around with no real agenda except to relax and enjoy the country. Will no doubt stop in at Lund just because I've heard so much about it. This trip is also a test of how well we do spending 2+ weeks on our boat. Looking forward to this trip. Lots to learn and plan for.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  21:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill. I guess I got it right the first time. This really sounds like a first-class boating summer for you. I hope you get great boating weather for the times you are out. If I can provide any info for you over the winter, don't hesitate to ask. You know I'd be only to happy to help if I can.

Word of warning. Fuelling at Campbell River is a good idea. Brown Bay is set up for commercial boats, especially tugs, and has those big ol' black tires hanging all over the fuel dock. They can mess up a shiny little white boat pretty quickly.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  22:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured fuel would be cheaper in Campbell River when compared to Brown Bay. I carry enough to fish for the 3-4 days and I'll stop on the way back to top off before heading south to Silva Bay. I'm planning this trip to allow for 3-4 days fishing as thats about as long as I dare to keep salmon on ice I believe. If I fish tuesday, wednesday and thursday, head home on friday I'll beat the weekend traffic around the fishing grounds. Any particular place in Campbell River you would recommend? I'm still in the planning stages for Desolation Sound. So much to see and so little time. We've never done much anchoring out as the house battery setup wasn't condusive to it. That will be resolved this winter as a complete rewiring and reconnection will take place so I have enough house battery to last a couple of days. Our fresh water supply was somewhat limited and that too is being replaced so that I can carry 60 gals of the stuff. I've bought a new electric windlass to install as well. Most my winter spare time is already used up and I haven't even got the boat home yet!

Tullamore dew

RO# 28452

Posted - Nov 08 2007 :  22:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill V depending on your route north Schooner cove just North of Nanaimo will treat you right for fuel prices. Also if you make it over to Desolation sound way the new dock at Lund has very good prices found them to be more competative then Cambell River.

Homeport: Cowichan bay, British Columbia Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 09 2007 :  13:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice, will check this out as I've got plenty of fuel to make Schooner Cove. I'll do some calcs and see if I can use this fuel stop going both ways round trip or at the least going north. At the rate I burn fuel I need all the help I can get. Thank you.

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  15:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked out Schooner Cove's web site and found the place to look pretty nice. Will stop there for sure. Seems like I could get in and out there faster then at Silva Bay or Nanaimo time wise. I'll use it going both ways for the trip. Now I have to hope the fish will cooperate a little.

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  13:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've stopped in at Schooner Cove many times. Great place and helpful staff. They even come down to grab my lines when docking. We also like the access to the hotel swimming pool.

As for retiremnet.... 9 years 5 months. Maybe sooner with luck.

Anybody know what the price of Diesel in Canada is these days?

What? No pics of your galley rebuild? Lots of great skiing here in Washington with plenty of moorage availabe in Semiahmoo. At least there use to be. It's really getting full these days. The price of buying a slip here has gone way up :-) :-)

Dave

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  17:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

When you have a little less on your plate, and have settled on a new boat, if you go that way, and have a little more time to post, maybe we could yak about your plans for 2008.

I think we should go to Southeast in 2018 to celebrate your retirement, don't you? The way I see it, you'll be so happy, you'll be buying ALL the drinks that summer.

Did you know that Bill and I are going to the North Pole in 2010?

OS

OARLOX

RO# 6476

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  18:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll wrap up my time at work by offocially punching out on December the 11th!!! We went down to the boat the other day to look over some of the on going projects and to deliver some building materials such as new Diamond/Sea-Glaze windows and some custom cabnet fronts. It was TOO DAMM cold to do much more then check the lines and make sure that all was well below the decks. South Central Alaska is no place to be on a boat in the winter. Looks like my job for the rest of the winter will be to Ski as much as my body can deal with.

Rob

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne"
Willard Pilot House 40
Girdwood, Alaska

Homeport: Alaska Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  16:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OARLOX:

One feels compelled to commiserate with you, poor baby, having to deal with the prospect of skiing all winter!

Cold? What about us down here? Temperature plunged from the mid-fifties all the way down to the high forties this week. ... and those are Fahrenheit degrees! That's hard on an old guy!

You obviously need to focus on how nice it's going to be in South Central Alaska this summer when you turn the Lady Anne loose from the dock. Hang in there, Rob!

Old_Salt

.... Oh, Lookee! Is that snow coming down??? In MY bay??? Dang!

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, my youngest grand daughter was running to the windows to let me know is was snowing.
This was taken earlier this afternoon from the front deck shortly after it had started.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 01 2007 :  21:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice digs, Navman! How's the grub?
Are you taking on any boarders?

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Dec 02 2007 :  20:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Salt

Nice digs, Navman! How's the grub?
Are you taking on any boarders?

OS

Thanks, OS. Ya we have enjoyed our living out here in the BrownsPoint area of NE Tacoma.
Ya can't see cause of the weather but we have a grea view of Puget Sound. Today has been no snow, just winds of around 30 to 40 , some higher gusts. Being we are on top of the hill we really get to feel them.
Gonna be a tough decision in a couple years from now, our plan was to sell year before retirement and begin to look for some place to live that has a warmer winter climate.

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well a few days have passed since this post and after those hard rains I am even more thankful for living at the top of the hill and not the bottom. Sure a lot of flood damage, some just in neighbor hoods from run offs.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  23:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else started their extended cruise planning for 2008? Where do you plan to go and when are you most likely to go?

Who is making plans for extended cruising North on the Inside Passage in 2008?
Is anyone planning on going all the way to Southeast Alaska?
When do you plan to leave for Alaska? How long do you intend to cruise in Southeast? When do you plan on returning?

Id like to get away by May 1, 2008 and take a month getting to Rupert/Ketchikan traveling up the IP. Officially, one is allowed 3 months in Southeast. Id like to take about a month on the East side of POWI, from Cape Chacon to Hollis, Thorne Bay, Coffman Cove, and Point Baker, and a month on the West side, from Point Baker to Naukati, Craig, Hydaburg, Cape Chacon and then back to Ketchikan, traveling the entire coastline of Prince of Wales Island in the process.

An earlier getaway date would extend the Alaska portion of the trip. Between the East side and West side Id like to take up to 2 weeks to go Point Baker to Petersburg, via Wrangell Narrows, to Kake, via Sumner Strait, to Point Baker, via Keku Strait. Any additional time could be applied to some great sidetrips on the West side of POWI.

Id be making the Northern leg and the Alaska trip alone and pick up the Admiral in Prince Rupert around August 1 for the 2 month trip home together. She will be on a pilgrimage to Britain, with her sister, to take in Wimbledon, in early Summer, something they have been planning together for a long time. The 2 months getting home will allow us to do some special things, like spending some time in Seymour Inlet, and showing her some of the special places I stayed last summer, not too far off the IP, that she hasnt seen yet.

As always, this is conditional on the humans health and the boats health, and in addition God willing and the creek dont rise and The best laid plans of mice and men spring to mind.

Old_Salt

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  17:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Etienne:

On another thread you said, "Just spoke to a fellow Squadron member at last night's bridge meeting - they're going North next summer and I am very tempted to join. Your post has added much motivation...!"

How are you coming with plans to get a little further North this summer?

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  11:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He has a nice new boat to travel in this year, I think he be itching to get some nice weather soon :-), by the way- Happy New Year to my fellow PNW Boaters.

druid

RO# 19398

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  11:51:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know anything about an "Inside Passage", but I want to hit the Broughtons in July, stopping for at least a while in Desolation Sound and/or Octopos Islands (been to DS many times, never been to Octopus. I'm also planning a "Lady's Cruise" for my Lady to Victoria and Poet's Cove.

I'm not retired, but haven't taken any vacation time for a while and I'm kinda burned-out (AND that means I have about 3 months of A/V saved up...). So: a month at the Broughtons, a week in southern Gulf Islands/Victoria, maybe a separate week or so in DS...

Got a "new" boat, want to try it out!

druid
"Coatue" Crown 28

Edited by - druid on Jan 22 2008 16:09:09

Homeport: North Vancouver, BC Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Druid: "Well, I don't know anything about an "Inside Passage"", try googling it. You would be surprised what you'll learn.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  16:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by druid

Well, I don't know anything about an "Inside Passage",

I knew THAT, Capn.
quote:
but I want to hit the Broughtons in July,

THAT's in the Inside Passage!
quote:
stopping for at least a while in Desolation Sound

quote:
and/or Octopos Islands

quote:
(been to DS many times, never been to Octopus. I'm also planning a "Lady's Cruise" for my Lady to Victoria and Poet's Cove.

THEM are in the Inside Passage!
quote:
I'm not retired, but haven't taken any vacation time for a while and I'm kinda burned-out (AND that means I have about 3 months of A/V saved up...). So: a month at the Broughtons, a week in southern Gulf Islands/Victoria, maybe a separate week or so in DS...

Got a "new" boat, want to try it out!

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

The "Lady's Cruise" is a nice touch, Capn. It shows your sensitive side. The Admiral and I are planning 1-2 months from Rupert to Home when she returns from Britain in the summer. I hope you get the time coming to you and get some great weather on the South Coast this year. Don't forget to call ahead and make your reservations on the float nearest to the gangway (and the pub).

That was the most fun I've had on the forum since Jamsac called me his "Hero" (ya' gotta' get a life, James).

???... I gotta' get a life, James.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  17:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Druid: "Well, I don't know anything about an "Inside Passage"", try googling it. You would be surprised what you'll learn.

I googled it, Bill. I was going to try and help you out.

There are 1,860,000 entries, Bill.

I started reading 'em, Bill. I thought we might be famous.

I got to reference no. 982,537 and I still didn't come up with a reference to us, Bill. Maybe we're not too famous, .... yet. I bookmarked it, Bill. I gotta' go chop some wood for the fireplace before the sun goes down at 3 pm. I'll get back to you if I find out we're famous.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  22:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks OS, I too googled it and found 2,980,000 references to it and 3 out of the first 8 were Canadian web sites. And no, I still haven't found any reference to us either. Besides, being famous isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  23:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! Your Google outgoogled my Google by 1,130,000 references! Where can I get a Google like yours? You must have a diesel Google ...

OS

druid

RO# 19398

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by druid

Well, I don't know anything about an "Inside Passage",

I knew THAT, Capn.
quote:
but I want to hit the Broughtons in July,

quote:
stopping for at least a while in Desolation Sound

quote:
and/or Octopos Islands

(...and so on)
Funny, I thought they were all on the BC Coast (South Coast, in particular, since I believe the "Central Coast" starts at about Pine Island)

But thanks for the Informative Update - I'll update my charts...

As for being famous: not sure I WANT to be "famous" on the internet (youtube, buyviagrahere.com, 19andsupple.com ...) Anyway: you're already famous on BC Boatnet - isn't that enough?

druid

Edited by - druid on Jan 22 2008 16:07:18

Kuredu

RO# 14515

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  12:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS,

Sorry I missed your earlier post. The fellow Squadron member (our Commander elect, in fact) has had the most unbelievable bad luck (some of his own doing...) with his boat and it is currently getting BOTH diesels replaced after sucking in an entire beach of sand and mud by taking a shortcut between Pt Grey and the North arm! I believe he is still planning on doing the cruise this year if he can get his boat seaworthy in time.

Our own cruising plans for the year has changed a little since the Admiral is no longer going to visit her folks so she can come cruising with me. That's the good news. The bad is that we are now limited to two weeks. We have decided to take two one week cruises - one North and the other South. First week of July we'll be heading to Desolation and specifically Pendrell Sound. First week of August we'll be starting off in Poets Cove and then decide where to go from there. We may stay in the Gulf Islands or even head North to Lasquity (sp?) and Hornby. We'll see.

Etienne
"Kuredu"

Homeport: Vancouver, BC. Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  13:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Etienne:

The important thing is your Admiral is going with you, and also that you get to give your new boat a nice 100+ nm run up to Desolation and back. I hope your South Coast weather this summer is better than what my Admiral related to me about last year's summer weather around home.

It is also nice to have something you really want to do at the top of your "to do" list.

My charts say "L-A-S-Q-U-E-T-I" ... ?? Go figure.

OS

druid

RO# 19398

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  16:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Yucultas are the most fun!

Ya otta try it with a 36-ft boat with what was 23hp 20 years ago, with what we found out later was an HUGE nest of seaweed on the prop, virtually hiding the blades altogether! First 2 rapids OK, last one, tide had turned.... 3 knots.... 2.5 knots .... 2 knots.... but we made it through!

quote:
Malaspina is right up there with Sabine Channel as one of the worst stretches of water on the coast. You have 2 chances in 4 of being in the "wind-opposing-the-tide situation", and 1 in 4 of going against some really ugly chop.

I've heard this said several times, and it really hasn't been my experience. Most trips through Malaspina has been under power, tunz cranked, power-tanning... not enough waves to spill my drink. Only problem I've ever had was the tide around Cape Cockburn can be substantial, especially if you're trying to sail upwind on 3sf (sparrow-farts: 5 sf = 1 knot).

druid

Kuredu

RO# 14515

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  18:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"L-A-S-Q-U-E-T-I"

Yep - that be it.

I hope your hope comes true OS. The weather last summer was marginal at best. It will be really nice to have a scorcher this year. But, hey, we're boaters, right? What's a little weather? As long as we're on the water, have good company and great plonk we're doing just fine.

Etienne
"Kuredu"

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather, ya- I think the 3 to 4 summers prior to last kinda spoiled us some.
My wife and I were just talking about the hope part just yesterday. So ya have a couple Washatonians here giving ya some more hope and crossing fingers :-)

Brass Monkey

RO# 16606

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  23:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New boat, Kuredu?
I've been off the pages here for a bit.
Wasn't your prior boat a 3988?
Enjoying the new one?

"No trespassing: prosecutors will be violated."

Homeport: Bellingham, WA Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  08:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brass Monkey

New boat, Kuredu?
I've been off the pages here for a bit.
Wasn't your prior boat a 3988?
Enjoying the new one?

it was a 38 Merdian, he moved up to the 411

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - May 30 2008 :  10:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getaway Day

I wanted to head North in May, and I May make it yet! It would be nice if the good better weather starts soon. Ill be back at home no earlier than June 1, , no later than Sept.27.

I hope everyone has a great boating summer. Be careful out there.

Old_Salt

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams,
Live the life you imagined.

-Henry David Thoreau Sailing Directions

oldfishboat

RO# 24623

Posted - May 30 2008 :  11:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS

Have a great one. Just have a great and safe time.

Oldfishboat guy

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  02:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ketchikan, AK - June 15,2008

Got in today after 14 days and 630 nm of wonderful travel up the B.C. coast. I cleared Customs and Border Protection this morning and got 2 nights in Thomas Basin in a commercial fishboat's berth while he's out for 5 days.
Went to Tongass Trading Company to get a few additional charts for the east side of POWI and got a chuckle out of this scene as I passed by on my way to the boating/fishing department.

Xtra Tuffs - the footwear of choice in Ketchikan. They wear 'em on the boat, on the float, down the street, out to dinner, to church on Sunday, to the opera, ...

They probably do have your size.

Do a google on "Xtra Tuffs" or some other variation of that spelling.

OS

Kuredu

RO# 14515

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Available ina ny colour as long as it's brown? :)

Nice to see you're having a great cruise OS. Keep us posted.

Brass Monkey - sorry, only saw your post this morning. Yes, as Navman said, from a 381 to a 411. Great boat and we love it.

Etienne
"Kuredu"

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 16 2008 :  11:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our area on the Gulf of Mexico coast, it is the white Red Ball shrimp boots that are the rubber boot of choice for fishermen.
They go by the names: Hackberry House Slippers(for the name of a fishing town in SW Louisiana) and Cajun Reeboks.
Some fishermen cut the tops off of them and wear them like shoes in the summer.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  10:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ketchikan, AK - June 17, 2008

Leaving this morning for the east side of Prince of Wales Island at Rip Pt., on the south side of Moira Sound. Winds are SE 15 and it's flooding north ... oh, well ...

Kuredu:

Brown is it. No whites for weddings. No blacks for funerals. No red and greens for Christmas.

rduhon:

Red Ball/Xtra Tuffs give the place a little character don't they?

OS

edit: Oh yeah, I guess it goes without saying, ...
It's raining in Ketchikan.

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jun 17 2008 10:45:26

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  15:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ketchikan, AK June 23, 2008.

Before I forget, ... It's raining in Ketchikan.

Back after 6 days, 283 nm of touring some of the inlets of the east side of Prince of Wales Island.

If I never qualify for a statue to be erected in memory of my life of Earth (probably because of my voting record) I will settle for this:

The "Retired Mariner" at the entrance to Saltery Cove, in Skowl Arm, on POWI, Southeast Alaska.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  20:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sound like you're having a great time OS. Must be nice having the summer to do as you choose. I'm looking forward to it someday.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: First Time Seattle to Port Hardy Topic Next Topic: New Dinghy advice needed for Meridian 490  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.67 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com