BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Dive suggestions in Bonaire
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Surface supplied air for hull maintenance Topic Next Topic: Body of Paul Blanchette recovered in Gloucester, M  

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  13:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am scheduling a dive trip to Bonaire in June. I am looking for suggestions on what dive sites would be the best. I am going to be getting married while I am down there and if I find a site that is nice enough (like there is a bad dive spot there.) my fiance and I are planning an underwater ceremony. I am thinking of sites with either a special natural beauty or a good wreck site. Nothing like starting out your life together in a wreck! ;-) Any help would be appreciated.

Homeport: Cincinnati, Oh

New Salt

RO# 16327

Posted - Nov 05 2007 :  15:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the Hilma Hooker wreck? It's a nice large wreck in about 100' of nice clear water.

Linda R.

Homeport: South Florida Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Nov 06 2007 :  09:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fiance has been to the Hilma Hooker before but that is not out of the possibilities. Any other ideas? Any good swim throughs or other especially beautiful sites?

Homeport: Cincinnati, Oh Go to Top of Page

rgy

RO# 8311

Posted - Dec 07 2007 :  14:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you know where you are going to stay?

Homeport: Michigan Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, We are staying at Captain Don's.

mikeg2

RO# 19114

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  21:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't been there in a few years but Cpt Dons had a sunken tug behind their resort.It was loaded with fish and would make it easy for guests since it would be a shore dive.It was also a real nice night dive.Since the wreck is shaloow it would allow more time for the ceremony.Good luck.

Edited by - mikeg2 on Jan 01 2008 21:40:14

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  15:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I will check on that tug. I have heard about it. Thanks. I won't be having guests joining us as they can't make the trip. They will be watching via web cam. How far off shore is it? Water depth? Thanks

gengiant

RO# 15658

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  15:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tug behind Captain Don's is just past the coral drop-off. There's roughly 100-150' of sand to swim across from the beach to get to the edge of the coral and the sloping reef. The edge of the reef is in roughly 20' of water - the bow of the tug in roughly 25', with the stern in a little over 30' (if my memory serves me right). When we were there last year in April, we stayed next door to Capt. Don's at Buddy Dive. At that time there was a HUGE green morray eel living in and under the bow of the tug. He'd be out and about at night - very cool!

While you are in Bonaire, if you want to try some of the truly local quisine at very inexpensive prices, eat at 'Mi Banana'. All of the local dive masters should know where it is (it's a couple of miles inland, away from any touristy area...

Have fun!

'Gypsy' (of the Lunar Sea)
27' Sundancer
Sacramento, CA

Homeport: Sacramento, CA Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  15:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Thanks for that info! It is my first time there and my fiances third. It will be good to have some suggestions on places to go that she may not have been to before. That is good. I'll check the tug for the eel (Not too closely of course) and report back to you. I just got the paperwork sent off to our wedding planner in Bonaire last week. The date is getting close! I can't wait. Married AND diving.. how can you beat that?!!!

jimini

RO# 29250

Posted - Jan 30 2008 :  17:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The very best website is www.bonairetalk.com .... loads of information on everything from B&B's to dive instructions and shore diving sites... Dive Safe!

jim "jimini" kennedy

Homeport: saugatuck, michigan Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  09:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. I checked it out. Good info.

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, June can not get here quick enough! I can't wait to get down there and making bubbles! Getting married will be great too! ;-)

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  08:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I am out of here tomorrow. I will be thinking about you all as I am down there. Yeah right! I will be staying at Capt. Don's and the wedding will be on the 19th. Woo Hoo! Can't wait to get back under the waves in a tropical island! Last time for island diving was in the Philippines in the mid 90's! WAY TOO LONG AGO! Talk to you all when I get back!

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  11:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just returned from Bonaire. Wow! What to say! Wedding went great. Dives went great! Saw the wreck they "call" La Machaca. This REALLY isn't it. It is a small fishing boat. The REAL La Machaca they tried to sink in that location actually slipped over the edge and dropped into 124 feet of water. I saw the large eel that lived there. Our dive guide, Chris, was very helpful in answering any questions we had. He was the one who told me that the La Machaca was actually a deeper dive. I didn't get the chance to see ti this time. Maybe on the next trip. Also saw a huge eel living under the deck plate laying on the bottom under the Hilma Hooker. All in all it was a great trip that was WAY too short. I did not get to the Mi Banana but did hit a few of the other "local" spots with Chris and his friends. I HIGHLY recommend Captain Don's Habitat.

camman73

RO# 17493

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  12:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the Wedding. Sounds like a great all around trip.

Keith
Lombard, IL

Homeport: Waukegan, IL Go to Top of Page

scottbf

RO# 29557

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  23:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to you and the admrial on the wedding!

Homeport: Cincinnati,ohio Go to Top of Page

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  12:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been to Bon Aire several times and love the diving there. I find the best thing to do is rent a car and simply drive around the leeward side of the island. You will see white numbered markers all along the road marking shore entry dive sites. You simply gear up, wade into the water, swim about 100 feet and drop over the shoulder into deeler water with some of the most incredible corals and walls you'll ever see. The Hilma Hooker is one of those sites are is the city pier. Both are neat dives but there are far better sites along the shore line.

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement
SSI Certified Instructor Level 1

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

Thompson gunr

RO# 27420

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  21:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. We rented a truck while we were there. We didn't get the chance to do any walk in dives because the schedule was just too tight. We DID do a lot of diving right off the pier at Captain Don's though. I can't wait to go back. I am planning a trip to St Lucia next summer when the money gets right.

Previous Topic: Surface supplied air for hull maintenance Topic Next Topic: Body of Paul Blanchette recovered in Gloucester, M  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com