boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 12 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: Lancer ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Shore Water Installation
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Wood Flooring for 1988 38 Santego Topic Next Topic: Questions on 1980 Carver 33  

ghh707

RO# 24088

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  20:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had the opportunity to install shore water on a 1988 Carver Santego 38'? I'm getting mixed advise on whether you can or not. Would appreciate any advise you may have and some diagrams for installation. Thanks in advance.

Sonny

Homeport: Madisonville, La.

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you ahve to do is tie into any cold water line after the pump. On your boat, I'd mount it on the transom and tee into the cold water line feeding the transom shower...should only take an hour or less.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

kindredspirits

RO# 27052

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  22:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never done this, but I thought you needed a one way check valve to protect the pump. I believe there is a diagram in the West Marine catalog on how to do this. Hopefully you'll get more constructive ideas than someone saying "Maybe you should not have a boat"????? Perhaps that individual shouldn't have a computer.

Edited by - kindredspirits on Nov 20 2007 23:09:17

Homeport: Marblehead, Oh Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  22:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had shore water installed on my Regal 2465. Well worth the money.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

DogDaze

RO# 27009

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  23:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

Can you drop me an email when you get a chance?
shadow7118 at AOL.

Joe & Sheryl
The Great North Coast

1998 Cruisers Yachts 3575

Homeport: Cedar Point, Ohio Go to Top of Page

kindredspirits

RO# 27052

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  23:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe-
Just sent it.

Chris

Homeport: Marblehead, Oh Go to Top of Page

Tenna-Sea-N

RO# 11165

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My slip neighbor found out the hard way, about an important element to the shore water connection to his boat. His connection inside the boat sprung a leak and nearly sank his boat, while he slept. Be sure to install one of those automatic sprinkler cutoff valves on the dock connection to the hose. This way the water will cut off after a couple of hundred gallons if your boat plumbing springs a leak while you are away.

Paul
32 Carver Montego

Homeport: St. Johns River, Jacksonville , Florida Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  05:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pump has a built in check valve to keep water from back flowing

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

marykhubby

RO# 25522

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  12:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a PSI regulator between the shore water and the inlet to boat. Seems like a good idea to insure you don't "blow the connections" inside if you happen to tap into an agressive PSI outlet at the shore. Maybe overkill but I sleep better, not an expert on this one...

DOCK'ed WAGE$

Homeport: MI Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  12:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine a 38' Carver coming from the factory without a shore water hook up. Shouldn't that be a standard item?

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

ghh707

RO# 24088

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  13:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the info, you've been a lot of help......guess I'll pursue this further and see what happens.....I'm especially interested in the fact that if your on shore water and it springs a leak you had better have something that protects the boat other than a standard bileg pump...maybe the realo answer is to keep fillng the tanks up and use the onboard water pump....thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sonny

Homeport: Madisonville, La. Go to Top of Page

ghh707

RO# 24088

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  13:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought the same thikng but it doesn't have one.
quote:
Originally posted by cwms

I can't imagine a 38' Carver coming from the factory without a shore water hook up. Shouldn't that be a standard item?

Homeport: Madisonville, La. Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's standard NOW, but back in the 80's and early 90's they were optional

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

awboater

RO# 20676

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  18:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened at our marina last summer. Owners left the water on, and the hose sprung a leak. I've heard this happening before, but I got to see it with my very own eyes. So I can definately say, yes it happens.

This particular boat had the city water inlet INSIDE the transom trunk. The bottom of the trunk was open all the way to the bilge. The waterline passed through a slit in the trunk door, and with a tight water line, a bit of wind, and a little imagination, and anyone should'a figured out that the water line will chaff on the trunk slit. And when it makes a hole in the hose, there is open space all the way to the bilge.

Pretty poor boat design. Not gonna say the boat brand, but its not Carver.

Three solutions I see:

1. simply make sure you turn the water off when you leave the boat unattended.

2. Buy one of these http://www.flowguardian.com/

3. Don't use shore water.

Personally, I use #3 because it keeps the water tanks clean with fresh water.

Edited by - awboater on Nov 27 2007 18:23:54

Homeport: Grand Haven, MI Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  18:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see the pic :-(

I use ONLY shore water...leaving my water tank empty. I DO, however, make SURE that the shore water is turned off when I leave on Sunday night

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Tenna-Sea-N

RO# 11165

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  22:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Awboater said. Check out the Flowguardian. It's cheap, and available at just about any hardware store. It counts gallons and shuts off the flow when it reaches the dialed in gallon limit. To begin the flow again, just reset it. It's mounted on the dock inlet, not in the boat, so if a leak happens in the boat, it's going to stop before enough water runs to get you into trouble.

Paul
32 Carver Montego

Homeport: St. Johns River, Jacksonville , Florida Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  08:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a whole lot safer to just fill the tanks the regular way and use from them. Keeps them fresh too.

If you insist on living dangerously, install a LOUD bilge alarm.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

PBardunias

RO# 2788

Posted - Nov 30 2007 :  13:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan to put one of these in my boat, too. My 52 gallon water system simply isn't enough to keep my family happy the way we use our boat as a floating condo on weekends. The Mrs. and Junior think that shower is going to run forever!!!

I do use the water tank, though, so my thoughts were to put the city water system in, but only use it when we're on the boat as an alternative to the water tank. Plus, I would think you should use up the water out of your tank every few weeks so it doesn't get stale. That seems to be a reasonable compromise. I hear ya on the safety issue - I saved a friend's boat when I went into the cabin to "steal" some sugar for my coffee and stepped into a foot of water at the bottom of the ladder. It too had sprung a leak in the city water system...

PS - on older boats at least, as some have said already, be sure to put a check valve in to protect the fresh water pump. They are very cheap to purchase...

Pete Bardunias (28' 1980 Carver Mariner "Arcadia", 21' 1975 Glastron V215 (plus a few more toys), Clifton Park, NY) --- Moderator of the Carver Boats Forum, President/CEO, the Chamber of Southern Saratoga County

Homeport: Clifton Park, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Wood Flooring for 1988 38 Santego Topic Next Topic: Questions on 1980 Carver 33  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.78 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com