BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Special Places on the West Coast of B.C.
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: TO ALL WHO HELP Topic Next Topic: Gulf Islands  

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  01:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Miles Inlet

Miles Inlet is a strategically located anchorage just South of Cape Caution, located on the Central Coast of B.C., Canada. We will define the Central Coast as to be consistent with the Weatheroffice forecast area: “Central Coast: McInnes Island to Pine Island”.
The South Coast of B.C., on the inside (East side) of Vancouver Island, is protected from the Pacific Ocean by the Island to about 51 degrees North. When leaving the more protected waters of Queen Charlotte Strait, and heading out into open Queen Charlotte Sound, Miles Inlet is the last place to “bail out” when heading North, and the first place to “duck in” when Southbound. It also serves as a means of breaking the crossing into two steps, and stopping here for the overnight, if you have a good forecast for the outlook on the second day, and that will give you the assurance that it’s a first rate anchorage if you should ever need it in an emergency. Miles Inlet is an alternate anchorage to Skull Cove and Allison Harbour if planning an entry into Seymour Inlet. It is also a very nice, protected anchorage with a lot of exploring possibilities.

The rounding of Cape Caution is a “barrier”, both physical and mental, to the passage of the cruising pleasure boat on the Inside Passage. The best a Skipper can do in his/her initial effort is to prepare for it, with a suitable boat, and a conservative plan; to pick the right time and conditions; to use good judgment in the transit; and to use the positive success experience that Humans thrive on to make the following passages even better.

The locator map from Google Earth, showing Cape Caution and Miles Inlet, with the nearest fuel supplies at Port Hardy to the South, and Duncanby Landing to the North.

The locator map from Google Earth, showing Port Hardy and Nakwakto Rapids.

The anchorage, showing the North falls and North and South Lagoons.

The photos are from a July 19-21, 2005 stopover on the way North.
The Coast Guard transmitter at Port Hardy gives very good VHF reception here, and the reporting stations of Egg I., to the North, and Pine I., to the South, are close at hand, so you get good data, updated every 3 hours.

A view of the entrance from the “T”. We have been here with as many as 3 other boats, (yes, all at the same time). (Edit: The vessel ahead of us was "Freyja" out of Astoria, I believe.)

The entrance, showing the Storm Islands in Queen Charlotte Strait.

The head of the Inlet, East of the “T”. Eagles and Ospreys hang out in the tree tops for the best view of the good fishing locations.

The North Waterfalls, can be used to enter the North lagoon (Edit: In the KAYAK!) at or near high water. Once in, you are there for ½ hour or 12 hours! It’s a bumpy ride out on the ebb, and impossible on the flood. Eagles and Ospreys fish at the Falls on the ebb.

The South Arm provides some shallow anchorage, and lots of kayak paddling.

Cape Caution is best rounded in the very a.m., before the winds get up, at a distance of at least a mile from the Cape (two is better). It is quite shallow nearer the Cape and the seas tend to roll up. The West end of Slingsby (Slingshot) Channel is to be given a wide berth. The flood is North when North of the Cape, and South into Queen Charlotte Strait.

Miles Inlet is a nice place to visit on a calm, quiet summer morning, and a great place to take refuge if you’re forced in by wind and rough seas.

(Edit: Excerpt from Log, July 19, 2005 at 1418
"Anchored at the T in Miles Inlet, 120' out in 120' swing circle, clear of the rocks to the East. Anchor at 43' on 9' tide Wadhams. Back of circle 33'. The falls, North of the T are running whitewater now, on the ebb." ... then at 5 pm, "We are sitting on the C.B. in the sunshine, watching the murrelets dive, surface, and peep, and the osprey take fish out of the water right beside the boat, and 5 or 6 *** eagles trying to catch something at the falls, and watching the puffy, white clouds scoot by the entrance over the Storm Islands, at a speed that makes us glad we are inside Miles Inlet, where the wind is blowing, but the seas do not enter." ... The log entry was edited to remove a couple of adjectives comparing the eagles exhibited intelligence relative to that of the osprey.)

CHS Charts 3548, 3549, 3550 (Miles Inlet and Cape Caution), 3921, 3552 (Seymour Inlet), and 3934 apply to a Port Hardy to Duncanby trip.

Old_Salt

(Edited to include i.d. of vessel in top photo; to clarify entry to lagoons in a KAYAK only; and to add an abridged log entry)

Edited by - Old_Salt on Dec 10 2007 15:47:51

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

OARLOX

RO# 6476

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great "Insider" info. Lovely set of pictures as well. When we head south the next time this is one place that we will look foreward to visiting. Only two days left untill I'll be unemployed. Oh Yea! So we will have our summers free to cruise when and where we wish.

Rob & "Lady Anne"
Girdwood, Alaska

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne"
Willard Pilot House 40
Girdwood, Alaska

Homeport: Alaska Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  16:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob:

I have edited the Miles Inlet post for clarity and added some additional info.

Glad this might be of use to you in selecting spots to visit on your way South. Do you want some others? Any specific places you are interested in?

Is the format of this one O.K.? Do you need any other info on Miles Inlet or different stuff that could be included in subsequent posts on other locations?

OS

If I am awakened tomorrow morning, by the sound of enthusiastic yelling, coming from a northerly direction, "I'm FREE, I'm FREE! I can do anything I want to do today!", I will forgive you, but suggest you consult Admiral Anne re her "To Do" list before you get too excited. You won't ever escape from that one, Bud!

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  15:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Seymour Inlet

Nakwakto Rapids, at the entrance to Seymour Inlet, were long touted as "the fastest salt water rapids in North America", until recent measurements showed Sechelt Rapids to be a tad faster.

See Chart 3550 at 1:40 000 for the south and west approaches, on the east and north sides of Bramham Island, via Schooner Channel and Slingsby Channel. This chart also shows the anchorages outside Nakwakto Rapids at Allison Harbour, Cougar Inlet, Skull Cove, Miles Inlet, Anchor Island, and Treadwell Bay.

See Chart 3921 at 1:20 000 for the entrance, which is via Nakwakto Rapids, and for anchoring details for Allison Harbour, Cougar Inlet, Skull Cove, Anchor Island, and Treadwell Bay.

See Chart 3552 at 1:50 000 for the entire waterway complex of Seymour Inlet, Belize Inlet and their connecting Sounds and Lagoons inside Nakwakto Rapids. There is sufficient anchoring detail for Wawatle Bay, Charlotte Bay, Westerman Bay, and Strachan Bay inside the Rapids.

Chart 3921 shows the entrance to Treadwell Bay or Cougar Inlet is a good place to wait for slack current outside Nakwakto, and the spot between Barrow Point and Buttress Island is a good place to observe the flow through Nakwakto at the approach to slack current, because the flow through Slingsby Channel is much greater than through Schooner Channel, and you are much closer to the rapids than the observing position west of Kitching Point at the entrance to Treadwell Bay.

When we enter, we stay well to the south of Turret Rock (Tremble Island), and turn either east or north on exiting the Rapids at Harvell Point, to get away from the main flow as quickly as possible.

The little cove north of Harvell Island is an excellent place to wait for slack current when you are inside Nakwakto and one could safely observe an entire ebb-flood cycle from there. We have heard of those who have anchored in the entrance to Cougar Inlet and hiked over the hill, or taken the dinghy around Barrow Point and pulled it ashore (but that is a 6 hour commitment!) to photograph the Nakwakto when it is angry.

The ebb flow past Tremble Island on a spring tide is indicative of places you don’t want to be in your boat at certain times.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  03:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Five Windows Cove

The entrance to Five Windows Cove is located at 51 28.7 N, 127 40.7W.

It is on the east side of Klaquaek Channel, which is east of Penrose Island, in the mouth of Rivers Inlet, in B.C.’s Central Coast.
Close in looks at CHS Chart 3934 show a direct entry from Fitz Hugh Sound and Rivers Inlet. Duncanby Landing is only a few miles Southeast (about 4 nm direct line at 163 degrees True). Dawson’s Landing is about 7 nm Northeast. Both places have fuel docks. Check the water quality by filling a clear plastic container and letting it settle, before filling your water tank.

A Google Earth look at this area shows the float houses in Sunshine Bay to the south.

Window To the Northeast. This leads to Magee Channel.

Window To the West

Window To the Southeast (pretty skinny opening). Kayak, high tide only.

Window To the Southwest. The main entrance from/exit to Klaquaek Channel.

Window To the South and the Sunshine Bay community. Dinghy or kayak only.

Depths in the main entrance are adequate at all stages of the tide. This is one of several protected anchorages off Klaquaek Channel, Frypan Bay and Big Frypan Bay among them. There are other good anchorages at Fury Cove on the west side of Penrose I. and Pierce Bay Islands as shown by the tracks on Chart 3934 above.

OS

Jgsons2

RO# 32496

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  12:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Old_Salt. We may take a look at it this summer.

Keep your feet dry

May your keel stay wet and your seat stay dry

Homeport: Leavenworth,WA Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  16:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only problem I keep coming up with is all the time required to see all the obviously great anchorages and places to visit. OS, you have truly "wet my appetite" for going north this coming June. I've had my boat in my shop since October going over everything, completing all the little details of many projects completed over the years, and basicly getting it ready for a summer outing and "shakedown cruise" to the north country. You posts over the years have had an immense amount of input to going north and seeing such beautiful country. If you only knew what all this has cost me to follow in your "footsteps" or wake.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Edited by - BillV on Dec 22 2011 16:25:55

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  07:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats some nice looking water ya'll gots up there.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  10:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the cruising is hard to beat. The more I see, the more I want to see, it seems it never ends.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: TO ALL WHO HELP Topic Next Topic: Gulf Islands  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com