BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 New to Boating
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: letter to PandG Topic Next Topic: My best friend  

shastiny1

RO# 28747

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  23:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year, Ladies!
And to Sunny….I hope you had a very Happy Birthday.

This is my very first post, so be patient.

Earlier this year, my husband & best friend took his life. So, instead of going down a road of grief and dwelling on what I’d lost and could never find again, I decided to honour him, myself and what we enjoyed most during a life together – the water.

I recently bought a 2007 Searay 240 Sundancer and am delighted. This is my first foray into boat ownership and since I live in New York City, I cannot wait until spring. I thought a wise woman & novice boat owner would enroll in boating and charting classes which will begin in January.

A zillion thank yous for this forum! I am a total novice in this area, have some questions and I’m quite relieved that there’s a venue by women for women so I will feel comfortable asking things.

I’m a gutsy lady, an admirer of the do-it and learn-it-yourself school and dreaded having to rely on asking men for their expertise (hopefully) and having to listen to responses given in condescending tones with remarks about ‘the poor thing not having a man to help her’.

Please forgive the way my comment above may sound since I do not believe, by any means, that all men behave in this manner but I do have an unmistakable knack for finding those that do. My brother, a long-time owner, has been phenomenally helpful but there are issues such as women boating alone, that he just not prepared to answer.

Anyway, I am currently shopping for a GPS/chartplotter unit (to complement my manual charting) that fits my craft and would appreciate any comments or criticisms. I would also like to know whether you thought that outfitting a 25 foot craft with an autopilot would be a luxury or necessity. Any other information you think will help me to close my learning gap, please share it.

Thank you all so much.
Sharon
Sharon
240 SD

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  08:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

Sorry to hear of your loss. One of my very dear friends did the same thing this past March and I was the one who contacted the police.

You will find this forum to be more helpful than you can imagine and it can help you get up to speed more quickly regarding your learning curve.

For a chartplotted, an all in one unit that can handle depth is a good choice.

Auto pilots are best utilized when making long runs, especially when there is no land reference. The auto-pilots keep the helmsman from having to stare at the compass and constantly make corrections, which can become fatiguing. It also keeps you in a straight line as opposed to making those ever so gentle "S" turns.

I hope you get a great deal out of your boating class and that you truly enjoy your new adventures and time out on the water.

It's amazing what this activity can do for your psyche.

Best wishes for a great '08.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon!

Welcome to boating. I'm so sincerely sorry for your loss. I too am a solo woman boater who runs a 34' silverton motoryacht on Long Island, not too far from you. I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you may have regarding your boat. My network does consist of many, many solo woman boaters that I can put you in touch with for some great summer cruising, raft-ups and know how. I honor your courage, admire your confidence and salute you as a woman after my own heart.

Welcome aboard and send me an email anytime you need help.

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

Homeport: Open Bay Marina, Merrick NY Go to Top of Page

shastiny1

RO# 28747

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  00:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie

Hi Sharon!

Welcome to boating. I'm so sincerely sorry for your loss. I too am a solo woman boater who runs a 34' silverton motoryacht on Long Island, not too far from you. I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you may have regarding your boat. My network does consist of many, many solo woman boaters that I can put you in touch with for some great summer cruising, raft-ups and know how. I honor your courage, admire your confidence and salute you as a woman after my own heart.

Welcome aboard and send me an email anytime you need help.

Katie, thanks so much to you all for taking the time to respond and i appreciate your gracious offer. I'm sure I'll have more questions after delivery and I can't wait. Sharon

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina Go to Top of Page

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  09:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now THIS is what Boating is all about.

KALENA II

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  13:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Sharon!
Thank you for the wishes. So sorry for your loss, may the New Year bring you nothing but happy times!!
You are truely a woman of courage & determination. You & others epitomise what this forum is all about & I hope we can share & learn from you.
There are also some super nice guys who help us out & are willing to share their wisdom with us. Best of luck & times with your new boat.

Homeport: Seneca River, NY Go to Top of Page

MacInCt

RO# 20223

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  11:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Sharon!

It's starting to sound like we need a get together somewhere of single women with boats! I bought my boat two years ago. My daughter and I cruise LI Sound, Block Island, and Nantucket every season. We go to Sag Harbor a couple of times each summer. Actually that is has been the Memorial Day Cruise the past two years.

Boats are great healers.

All the best,

Nancy

Nancy

2003 Johnson 70 - Charmer

Homeport: Nantucket, MA & Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

MacInCt

RO# 20223

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  11:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, I just realized that I didn't offer an opinion on your electronics question. My boat came with all Raymarine electronics and they have operated flawlessly so I am comfortable recommending them. I have the "C" series. There are several new units out that look really amazing with price tags to match. The February issue of "Soundings" magazine has reviews of some of them that you might find interesting.

I have been yearning for an autopilot. If I don't sell my present boat (I also have a yearning for something bigger) then I'll bite the bullet and add one this summer. As RWS pointed out, they are very handy for long passages and really eliminate a lot of the fatigue. That said if you are only traveling in shorter spurts then it may not be worth it.

One last word of advice, when spring comes find yourself a captain and get a couple of on-water lessons. Have them help you develop a pre-departure checklist and get them, or your dealer, to show you exactly how to check the oil, etc. Have another checklist for when you arrive (this may sound silly but it's not). If you anticipate taking your boat out alone some of the time, get them and your brother to think long and hard about how you want to arrange your lines and fenders. There are some boat whip sorts of things that will hold your lines out from the dock so you can grab them as you come in for instance that you might find helpful. Then spend some time with the captain on the water doing close quarter maneuvering and docking. If you can do this in May and on a weekday you'll be totally comfortable pulling in to the gas dock and docking your boat when the season starts.

If you need the name of a captain, I know a couple on Long Island who might suit you.

All the best,

Nancy

Nancy

2003 Johnson 70 - Charmer

Homeport: Nantucket, MA & Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Jan 10 2008 :  00:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in getting a group of women (and kids of course) together for say a trip up the hudson to haverstraw marine? Heard they have a nice marina for transients. I would love to get together with some other woman and cruise locally. Any takers ???

Never too early to plan...

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

lil red truck

RO# 25758

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  15:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Sharon. This past season was my first as an owner also. I've been learning alot and will continue to...hopefully through more good experiences than bad. ; ).We're down the river from you.
Katie-We can meet you on the Hudson. Sounds like fun.

Honora
1987 Bayliner Ciera 2450
Matthew 7:12
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." ~ George Sand

Edited by - lil red truck on Jan 15 2008 16:02:23

Homeport: Yonkers, NY Go to Top of Page

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  17:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Katie that would be really cool!! We would love to see you again. What month are you thinking about?

Homeport: Penny Bridge Marina, Stony Point, NY Go to Top of Page

shastiny1

RO# 28747

Posted - Jan 19 2008 :  02:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie

I'm interested in getting a group of women (and kids of course) together for say a trip up the hudson to haverstraw marine? Heard they have a nice marina for transients. I would love to get together with some other woman and cruise locally. Any takers ???

Never too early to plan...

Katie,
I would love an opportunity to get together and meet all of you ladies at Haverstraw Marina. Ironically, that's where my boat will be docked. So please keep me in the loop when a date is decided. The staff at Haverstraw is great and if you'll need transient acommodations, just give Sherrie a call and she'll be glad to help you.
I hope to see you all soon.
Sharon

Sharon
240 SD

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  09:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharon, I am in Green 119 at Haverstraw Marina. Don't be a stranger! You are welcome anytime and we would be more than happy to help you any way we can.

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Jan 24 2008 :  22:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey.. this could be something REALLY fun! I say a long weekend at Haverstraw could be inline for say... second week of July? I have two other women that will bring their boats and friends as well.
This could get out of hand.
How much fun is that!!

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Jan 25 2008 :  07:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like lots of fun. Look forward to seeing your new boat and catching up on all the things you have been up to. Haverstraw Marina has a nice BBQ area next to the water, I could reserve a day the weekend you come if everyone wants.

Kismet

RO# 21523

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  10:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, count us in on the trip up the Hudson. I have the books, the maps and the time...just been waiting for an experienced boater to lead the way.
I'm docked in Patchogue and have poked my head out from Jones Inlet and Robert Moses. Then I freeze up and turn around with my tail between my legs! There's just something about seeing more than 13 feet on my depth finder that spooks me out! (If you boat in the Great South Pond you know what I mean!)
Anyhoo, keep posting details, Katie!

Homeport: East Patchogue, NY Go to Top of Page

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  08:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well then Kismet you will find the Hudson River particularly spooky. I have more than 13 feet under my boat sitting in my slip! Yes, the Great South Bay is skinny at best! You will find sections of the Hudson at 150+ in spots. You will find the trip just beautiful though! Coming out of Jones Point and running just off shore is a fabulous ride. It's not far until to turn in under the Varrazzano Narrows bridge into New York Harbor. Lots & Lots to see. From there you will pick up our beloved Hudson River! I guarantee you will find it a georgeous place to boat. Be prepared though, you might get rocked & rolled a bit in New York Harbor.

Edited by - marsij on Jan 27 2008 08:22:02

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  13:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really jealous that there are so many women solo boaters together. I have a 280 Sundancer and I am the ONLY woman boater in my marina and I haven't seen any on the Chesapeake Bay. There is something to be said for feeling so liberated and happy. Your new boat will teach you so much. When I got mine three years ago, I knew nothing, and now I work as a mechanic at my marina.
Good Luck and I hope some of you women boaters will soon recognize the beauty of the bay and join me one day. : )

If it ain't broke...it will be.

Homeport: Md Go to Top of Page

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  22:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, I have 2 other women and thier boats that want to come up to hudson! How long a trip you think from say.. Jones inlet?
Does anyone have any objection to a midweek trip.. say, Thursday to Sunday? It's still quite far off, but it looks like the third week in July is going to work for me. My niece is getting married on July 11th, so that ruins that weekend :(( She's got some set getting married in the summer. Obviously, she doesn't like boats.

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  16:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Katie, I made it from Haverstraw Marina to Jones Inlet in about 2.5 - 3 hours if I remember. It took less than 5 hours to get from Haverstraw to Watch Hill the weekend we met you and we went in at Jones Inlet so one of the other boats could fuel up.

shastiny1

RO# 28747

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  02:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marsij

Sharon, I am in Green 119 at Haverstraw Marina. Don't be a stranger! You are welcome anytime and we would be more than happy to help you any way we can.

Thanks so much. I am absolutely on cloud 9 this week since delivery is finally here and on Thursday. I'll be at the marina almost the entire weekend learning and figuring out what the hell to do. I'm right behind you at red 43 and will be the one learning how to dock properly. I really look forward to meeting you very soon and the rest of you at the Haverstraw outing. Get ready for questions everyone. Thanks.

Sharon
240 SD

shastiny1

RO# 28747

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  02:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MacInCt

Oops, I just realized that I didn't offer an opinion on your electronics question. My boat came with all Raymarine electronics and they have operated flawlessly so I am comfortable recommending them. I have the "C" series. There are several new units out that look really amazing with price tags to match. The February issue of "Soundings" magazine has reviews of some of them that you might find interesting.

I have been yearning for an autopilot. If I don't sell my present boat (I also have a yearning for something bigger) then I'll bite the bullet and add one this summer. As RWS pointed out, they are very handy for long passages and really eliminate a lot of the fatigue. That said if you are only traveling in shorter spurts then it may not be worth it.

One last word of advice, when spring comes find yourself a captain and get a couple of on-water lessons. Have them help you develop a pre-departure checklist and get them, or your dealer, to show you exactly how to check the oil, etc. Have another checklist for when you arrive (this may sound silly but it's not). If you anticipate taking your boat out alone some of the time, get them and your brother to think long and hard about how you want to arrange your lines and fenders. There are some boat whip sorts of things that will hold your lines out from the dock so you can grab them as you come in for instance that you might find helpful. Then spend some time with the captain on the water doing close quarter maneuvering and docking. If you can do this in May and on a weekday you'll be totally comfortable pulling in to the gas dock and docking your boat when the season starts.

If you need the name of a captain, I know a couple on Long Island who might suit you.

All the best,

Nancy

Nancy, thanks for your suggestions. I did secure a captain to run through on-water & close-quarter maneuvers and have more checklists than I need, but will use. I'm sure my 4-page list of systems to check before I get underway will take me forever at first but with experience, my timing should improve. I'd rather be thorough and safe than sorry. I also have New England Marine coming to install some Raymarine electronics for me this week. After tons of research, I felt most comfortable with their units - for now. so Thanks again.

Sharon
240 SD

marsij

RO# 9858

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  08:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sharon, Great to hear your "new boat excitement". It really is a thrill isn't it? I am assuming since you purchased a Sea Ray they are giving you at least one free lesson with Don Fleming? Don is a little over the top for my taste but he is certainly a competant and knowledgeable captain. There used to be a women from the Power Squadron (Catherine Redman) giving lessons, but I'm not sure if she still does. I have talked to her a number of times & she is also quite good. My boat is not yet in. I went over yesterday and I am still sitting behind three other boats & the shrink is not even off yet. I am usually in the 1st or 2nd week of April and we are now in the third week and I'm not even washed & waxed yet so I'm getting pretty frustrated, but I guess they are getting them in as fast as they can. Hopefully we will meet soon. Once I am launched I will take a walk over to meet you. I was on red dock with my 23ft bow rider, you enjoy yourself there, lots of really nice people.

Once you get used to your boat you will learn what it is going to do and how much "bite" your prop gives you when you put it in gear in close quarters at the dock. Just remember that neutral is not a bad thing and slow is your best friend. Don't use anymore power than you need to keep control of your boat.

Checklists are a good thing too. Get to know the basics about you engine and keep spares of all the basic things you may need in a pinch..and extra prop is a good idea too. You sound like you are going about this in a very responsible way and that is great because we all know there are more than a few knuckleheads without a clue out there to watch out for!

Edited by - marsij on Apr 19 2008 08:27:43

Previous Topic: letter to PandG Topic Next Topic: My best friend  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.53 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com