BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Feb diving in the Keys
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: St. Thomas Treasure Diving Topic Next Topic: Looking for Hermans pappy  

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  22:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I are planning to get out of update NY for a short respite in Feb. Weíre heading to Key West. The last time we were at Key West was April 2003. Since then Iíve learned to dive (NAUI). Does anyone have any recommendations for diving, in Feb, between Marathon and Key West? Can I rent the suit at the dive shops? Itís been 2 years since I last dived.

Thanks

Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY

FireCracker

RO# 19280

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  23:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can stop at Bud n Marys in Islamorada on your way to Marathon. Call them first, rental gear in summer is expensive. May be better now. They can advise of areas to dive. The only other dive boat I know of is in Hawks Cay on Duck Key. Google and call. Maybe some Keys folks can add.

Homeport: Ft Pierce, Florida Go to Top of Page

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  22:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called around Key West and found two Dive places. I looked them both up on the internet and am looking to see if anyone has any experience with them:

Dive Key West

Captainís Corner

Thanks, Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY Go to Top of Page

jimini

RO# 29250

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  12:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi~
I have dove with Captain Corners a few times, very professional and sticks to the rules of safe diving which brings me to this point... no diveshop will let you dive again until you complete a refresher course with a scuba instructor... six months is normally the longest period one can go without having to attend a refreshing course. It's been two years for you.... You will also need to bring your C-card and your logbook to Florida Keys as many diveshops will want to look at the dives you have logged recently so that they can put you in a class of divers all experienced about the same. I am certified technical mixed gas extended dives and have experienced many new divers in refresher courses... the courses are fairly easy, nothing hard just basic underwater skills mostly.

jim "jimini" kennedy

Homeport: saugatuck, michigan Go to Top of Page

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Jan 20 2008 :  22:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I am going to do a refresher dive Ė itís been too long.

Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY Go to Top of Page

tcijoe

RO# 20109

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  09:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i worked with the dive shop right next to garrison bight in key west. they seemed to be good.

also, to me a great easy dive is just off marathon, sombero reef. it is only a few miles from seven mile bridge and has bouys that you tie up to. most of it is in 20-40 feet.

13 mckee side console (dinghy for next boat)

Homeport: Palmetto Florida (Riviera Dunes) Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 21 2008 :  12:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Marathon at Key Colony Beach you can't beat A Deep Blue Dive shop. Great boats and people. adeepbluedive.com

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: St. Thomas Treasure Diving Topic Next Topic: Looking for Hermans pappy  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com