BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 What knot to use in this case?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: So Ive been a stink potter forever Topic Next Topic: 2009 Buzzards Bay Regatta  

rhbj03

RO# 13109

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  13:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to cut a tree limb. Before I do that, I need to tie a rope to it so once cut it is hung in the air, then gets lowered to the ground. What knot do I use in this case?

It's just one bare tree branch like a tennis racket, no forking branches to use the bowline knot.

Homeport: Alameda, CA

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  15:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about this and then two half hitches:

What w/b more appropriate than a timber hitch ?

Bob J

Edited by - Bob J on Jan 05 2008 15:06:07

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

rhbj03

RO# 13109

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  00:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahhhh...thanks a lot!!

Homeport: Alameda, CA Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Jan 06 2008 :  08:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not clear why you don't want to use a bowline. I might do two wraps followed by a clove hitch slipping the second hitch on the clove. The ring above does bring to mind that two lines brought together- something that looks like an up side down Y would add stability. In any case I would not be alone and would have a good knife at the ready. let us know what works. Good luck.

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

Badsanta

RO# 28970

Posted - Jan 15 2008 :  15:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how ig is it, how high off the ground is it. Can you hold the weight without a lowering system???? Your not going to stand on top of a step ladder while holding a chain saw while holding the rope are you???? If so call 911 before you start, just a thought

Badsanta

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

LDK

RO# 31561

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  12:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call a tree pruning service. If your not sure of the knot to use I would guess your not sure about what you are getting yourself into. If you insist, have someone there to hold the phone after dialing 91

Homeport: California Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: So Ive been a stink potter forever Topic Next Topic: 2009 Buzzards Bay Regatta  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com