BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Regal Owners
 IPS Drives
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Regal Owners Forum Topic Next Topic: Regal 3780/3880/4080 Waste Tank Vent?  

Freedom 45

RO# 27911

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  22:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been contemplating purchasing a used 2007 Regal 4460 with IPS drives. With 2007 being the first production year for IPS drives, I'm wondering how sound the new drive technology is. Has anyone had any negative experiences with IPS drives that they'd be willing to share? Is it advisable to stay away from IPS drives for a couple of years, to let any mechanical or electronic "gremlins" get sorted out?

Dietmar & Suzanne
Freedom 45

2005 Regal 3560, Merc 496 MAG, I/O, B3
Victoria Harbour, Ontario

Edited by - Freedom 45 on Mar 11 2008 22:52:13

Homeport: Victoria Harbour, Ontario

commonmedic

RO# 29256

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  23:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a new 4060 with diesel IPS.I read article after article and could not find any significant failures.I refused to purchase until I did a sea trial at a boat dealer show this past winter.I Sea trialed a 4060 and drove across the coast to Sea Ray and trialed a 44 Sundancer with the Zeus system.After playing with both boats their was not one bit of hesitation about buying the IPS.It performed great,very quiet and no vibration.Now Zeus was very dissapointing so I will not badger their product.
My wife who never would consider taking the boat out,is looking forward to going out with her girlfriends.I dont fear the boat,just that she gets confused with starboard and port.
The systems have been around a long time on commercial ships, and has a few years under its belt in Europe and Australia.I could be wrong but I feel very comfortable with my decision.

Homeport: treasure island Go to Top of Page

commonmedic

RO# 29256

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  04:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to see the best video that demonstrates the IPS advantage,google FOURWINNS IPS.Then click on the Fourwinns site with IPS video.What the video demonstrates is what I experienced.Also I stumbled across several videos where engineers talk about IPS on Boattest.com.Very interesting.If you want to chat let me know.
Dave
To Bad Regal has not done a demo video this good.

mayerf

RO# 29388

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no personal experience but have been reading a lot about joy stick drives. Does the forward propeller concern anyone? Seems like the props would get the worst of hitting anything. IT also seems that the IPS pods hang lower than normal requiring more draft. Anyone compare either IPS or Zeus with Merc's stern drive Axius system? Frank

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The IPS drives draft about 1" more than standard inboards. The forward facig props add more benefit than risk IMO. We've sold several here on Lake Erie and have had only one mishap, and that was with myself running the boat. New props, and we were done, and we hit HARD...the drives stayed on so they're not as tender as everyone seems to think.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now if only I could afford the boats that have it!!!

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

commonmedic

RO# 29256

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the forward facing props the water is cleaner and more efficient and better lift.Also IPS has the patent so Zeus had do so it differently.With props so far back, Zeus had to incorporate the trim tabs to help lift the boat out of water,the trim tabs move automatically to compensate. With the prop coves for Zeus it added more wet surface area for more resistance.I found most of this info on boattest.Just my 2 cents take it for what its worth.

mayerf

RO# 29388

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  12:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone compared IPS with Axius stern drives?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  13:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not wait and compare the Volvo Joystick stern drives to the Axius? It's due fairly shortly

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  13:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IPS went through 15 years of testing before is went to market. The sheer off thing was the result of a really nasty accident in NC.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Jsheaffer

RO# 27732

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  15:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took delivery of my 5260 in mid January, I really am impressed with the IPS system. First there is a lot more room in the Engine room, they are very quiet, fast out of the hole and the boat is really manuverable. Best of all the fuel economy is much better than my 4460 with Yanmars. The Joy Stick is great for final docking but it is not as easy as everyone makes it seem. You still have to know how to handle a boat including compensating for wind and current I use shifters in and out the marina and the Joystick just to dock. All in All I am really pleased with how the system works.

John S

Homeport: Kenosha WI Go to Top of Page

van lafermine

RO# 29446

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  15:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just ordered a Regal 4460 with the IPS. I compared the draft with straight drives and it goes from 35" to about 42" The straight drive had pockets and the IPS does not. Still 42" is not bad. My old Silverton was 46" and that was straight drives.
As far as Zeus vs. IPS The Zeus just looks more conventional. The IPS is a little awkward looking but performs better on consumption and is quicker on plane because the props are forward. Very little lift out of the hole. Anyway, thats what I keep telling myself!

Van
"Drifting Profits II"
4460 Regal

Homeport: Grasonville, Md. Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  18:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct Van. The 1" increase I was quoting was for a "pocket free" boat. We sell Carver where I work, and their 43 SS drafts 1" more than the same boat with inboards (Carver does not use pockets)

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

DDL

RO# 368

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  09:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've have over two years experience (300 hours) on my IPS boat and have absolutely 0 problems with the drives. The joystick has a learning curve but I found if you apply power in short bursts it works just fine. Corrosion was an early problem for some units but the addition of increased annode protection has taken care of that issue. Quite honestly, I've had more problems with the D6's than with the drive. I've had to replace an alternator, a transmission cooler,a couple of engine gaskets and most recently all the injectors on the STBD engine to cure an annoying vibration. All the engine related problems were handled promtly by Volvo under warranty, although it took six months to chase down the vibration problem as everyone (Volvo and Tiara) kept insisting it was a prop or shaft problem. I kept telling them I hadn't hit anything but eventually pulled and re-conditioned the props and had the shafts checked with a dial indicator before the techs began looking elsewhere for the vibration problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend IPS drives based upon my experience.

Dan
'06 S/4300 Tiara
CARUS

Homeport: Everett,WA Go to Top of Page

commonmedic

RO# 29256

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  11:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What changes did you make for the anodes,I am in fresh water on the upper Mississippi.Most boats come with ZINC and we change over to Magnesium.But the dealer said I do not need to do this with IPS.What would your input be.
Thanks Dave

DDL

RO# 368

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  09:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by commonmedic

What changes did you make for the anodes,I am in fresh water on the upper Mississippi.Most boats come with ZINC and we change over to Magnesium.But the dealer said I do not need to do this with IPS.What would your input be.
Thanks Dave

Your new 4060 should come with aluminum anodes on the transom. Additionally, Volvo doubled up on the cast iron anodes in the drive. As I recall the bulletin on the increased anode protection came out in the spring of 2006 so I can only assume that boats built after that date have the updated protection.

Dan
'06 S/4300 Tiara
CARUS

Homeport: Everett,WA Go to Top of Page

commonmedic

RO# 29256

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  12:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will give my dealer a jingle and make sure of the changes.Thanks for the info.
Dave

Freedom 45

RO# 27911

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  11:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for you feedback. I've now tested a couple of 4460's with IPS drives. In one case it was in very choppy and windy conditions. As everyone has indicated, the handling is second to none. Docking in the choppy conditions was also not a problem. I wouldn’t consider buying a 4460 that doesn’t have the IPS drives. It's also comforting to hear that nobody has experienced any mechanical or electronic failures with their IPS drives.

Dietmar & Suzanne
Freedom 45

2005 Regal 3560, Merc 496 MAG, I/O, B3
Victoria Harbour, Ontario

Homeport: Victoria Harbour, Ontario Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  10:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post is 4 years old, curious to hear from some of these IPS owners 4 years later. Drives still has good as you say? Any issues?

Thanks.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 03 2012 :  12:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a half-update from a year ago. Thanksgiving weekend 2011 a nearly-new Tiara hit one of the lighted buoys in the St. Johns River shipping channel. Damaged the IPS but didn't knock it off. They went the last 20NM home on one engine and I was amazed how fast they moved on one. I don't know what the IPS series was.
I can add that in the ongoing series between Fiberglass and Steel, Steel remains undefeated.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

DogDaze

RO# 27009

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  11:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey CurrentSea,

Saw on the ROF that you lost your beautiful Regal in Sandy.. So sorry.. our friends have a brand new 2012 Cruisers 430 w/IPS and LOVE it so far!! Be sure to stop by and see us on the new COF.. you can find the link to the 'Official' BLOG and Forum on the Cruisers Yachts website.. :) btw, I do happen to know where there IS another just like your Regal.. only in Black.. one owner with maybe ~120 hours.. spotless!! Belonged to good friends.. and also ROF member K Squared.. (you know them too) The boat is at South Shore Marine in Huron, Ohio.. so, a freshwater boat... (they traded on a CY's)

Joe & Sheryl
The Great North Coast

1998 Cruisers Yachts 3575

Homeport: Cedar Point, Ohio Go to Top of Page

van lafermine

RO# 29446

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  12:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
After reading the post I wrote almost 5 yrs ago I have 560 hrs and I am as happy now as I was the day I ordered the boat!

enough said!

Van
"Drifting Profits II"
4460 Regal

Homeport: Grasonville, Md. Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  12:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe.
I am another one in my sights with diesel and IPS.
Will know by this Friday if it is a go/no-go!!! :)

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Regal Owners Forum Topic Next Topic: Regal 3780/3880/4080 Waste Tank Vent?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com