BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chaparral Owners
 240 Signature questions
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gauges Topic Next Topic: 1998-2003 Chaparrals....  

hbf7744

RO# 29711

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  16:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm considering a 1998 Chap 240 Signature or a '95 Sea Ray Sundancer. Can anyone compare these models for me?

On the Chap - Is it possible to fold the pilots seat flat - to make it into a sleeping area? What is the headroom in the cabin?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by - hbf7744 on Mar 30 2008 18:38:54

Homeport: Erie, Pa

Fiasco

RO# 29263

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  20:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a 99 240 and can offer a little perspective I suppose.

The double pilot's seat does fold flat in ours and reaches the aft bench so a fairly tall person can stretch out on it. I am just over 6 feet and I only have to bend my neck a small amount and do not feel cramped at all. The wet head on the other hand... well lets just say I bathe hospital style in those extreme situations where i have to freshen up aboard. Smaller folks shouldnt have any problems at all.

The mid cabin is plenty of room for two adults as long as they like each other. To simplify things i gave that to my boy and the wife and i use the V berth. hope that helps a bit. All in all i love my chappy. If you have any other questions just ask.

Homeport: Jacksonville, FL Go to Top of Page

JohnH

RO# 1474

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  10:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chaparral has their own owners forum which can probably provide you with some additional information.

John H

2005 Chaparral 290 "Brown Eyed Girl"

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Hudson River, NY Go to Top of Page

water

RO# 28935

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  21:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My last boat was a 2000 sig 240 and I absolutely loved it. I have been aboard many other 24's such as the searay, maxum, 4winns, etc, and I like the Chap by far the most. It seems the most roomy and well laid out. My wife and I have taken the boat from fire island inlet out to the hamptons and out to Block Island. For the Block Island trip it was us and another couple overnight. It was cramped, but doable with the aft cabin and we all enjoyed it. We also took it to Conneticut accross the Sound. We want to venture further this year so we upgraded to a 2001 sig 280 (which is now the 290). We bought another Chap because we LOVE them!

Keith

Homeport: east hampton, ny Go to Top of Page

CapnBrian

RO# 17316

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  16:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2002 240 Sig with a BII outdrive and enjoy a lot about the boat. I am 5'8" and have never really tried to shower in the head because it is a little cramped (mentioned above) but possible. We keep the camper canvas on all season and so when I want to shower, I close up the windows and use the transom shower in the cockpit. Things that could be better include having gas assist engine hatch, more than one step up to the foredeck (get harder as I get older). A great cruiser for towing (relatively small and light) and seems to hold up well from the cabin to the cockpit and keel. A Honda EU 2000 will power the AC and Micro Wave concurrently when on the hook and it has lots of cockpit/transom storage when compared to other boats its size. We looked at the Sea Ray 240 and Crownline 250 but decided the Chap was the best value.

2002 Chap Sig 240
Merc 350 Bravo 2

Edited by - CapnBrian on Apr 24 2008 16:20:25

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  20:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith: Thaks for the review. I'm waiting for the survey and sea trails of our "new" 2000 sig 240. We'll be docking it somewhere near Patchogue. Not sure where yet. Hope to see you on the water. Captain Brian: Thanks to you too for the comments. By the way, where did you put the generator and the AC?

Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  21:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: Our Sig 240 passes her survey and sea trials. A page of small things to be repaired, some of which the dealer is handling. Right now she's on land. The bottom and outdrive have been painted and the camper-back and side windows are being made. She was supposed to be ready by Wednesday, but it's pouring and the rain is expected to continue for a few days. My guess is that she'll be ready by next weekend. We're going to be docking at Blue Point marina. It seems to have exactly what we want in facilities and the people seem genuinely nice. I've picked up new fire extinguishers and a new bilge pump (The one in her now is a 300 GPH toy.) Hopefully we can do the explanantion cruise next Saturday, weather permitting, and move her east next week. To be continued. Hy

Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear things are coming along. Hopefully the weather on the east coast will start cooperating and we can all get out on the water.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Gauges Topic Next Topic: 1998-2003 Chaparrals....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com