BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 51 ]  [ Total: 51 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 Fixin it yourself!
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Its Only A Day Late! Topic Next Topic: To sell or not?  

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  22:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ladies (and others!)
I was just wondering if there are any ladies who fix their own boats. It seems so rare that there is any other female boaters around, and I have NEVER met one who fixed their stuff. I am completely single and I have never had anyone in my bilge but me. Four years ago, I just decided that I wanted a boat. The first time it broke the guy told me the hourly charge, so I went and bought a book and off I went.
Currently I work at my marina on engines and outdrives. I am scheduled to go to MerCruiser school later this year. I enjoy the accomplishment and peace of fixing things so much. The downside is that I get so many looks and doubts from customers when I am fixing their boats. I would really like to meet another woman boater who is independent in both running and fixing their boat! Anyone?!
If it ain't broke...it will be.

Homeport: Md

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  22:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your very cool, love your attitude, best of luck to you.... Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it, you can...

PS.
Can I marry you.... :)

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  23:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is COOL. Will you marry me?

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Orcbait

RO# 23038

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  23:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob.

I am fairly sure you are already married.

You may want to check....

Cheers,

Orcbait

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  06:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done minor stuff.........plugs, some wiring, etc. I try to do whatever I can myself before I call the mechanic but nothing like what you're doing. Always wanted to take a course on small engine repair but could never find one locally. Now, as you can read in ATC, I'm getting too old to want to do it!

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

concorde mike

RO# 28718

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  07:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob and Walter, I asked her first. Back off :)

31 CONCORDE

Homeport: Cambridge, Md Go to Top of Page

a1anne

RO# 12586

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  15:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own, operate and maintain my 42' sailboat. It's important to know all the systems. I can't tell you how many times I've had to jury rig something at sea. I'd hire a female mechanic in a second.

Sail Away... sailbluerunner.com

Homeport: Leeward Islands Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  15:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would keep Bob and Walter out of your bilge!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  16:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orcbait

Bob.
I am fairly sure you are already married.

That didn't stop Warren Jeffs.

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  16:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two proposals in one day...my lucky day! If you saw me all "bilged up" my might change your minds! I have a 270 Sundancer with a million new systems right now...it is enough to drive a person a little crazy...it isn't a big boat, but it is akin to chasing one's tale, maintainence wise!
Any Chesapeake Bay boaters here? I am on/near the Elk.

Homeport: Md Go to Top of Page

concorde mike

RO# 28718

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  07:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in Solomons Jen, if you ever get to my neck of the woods look me up.

31 CONCORDE

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  01:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, is there a Clark's Landing near there...I am asking because I just read about a boat yard sale that Clark's Landing is having and I don't know where Clark's Landing is located.

Edited by - Jensen on Apr 20 2008 23:23:56

concorde mike

RO# 28718

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  07:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen, the closest Clarks Landing to Solomons is in Shady Side...about 20 miles south of Annapolis on the western shore. I don't know if that is the location of the yard sale though. There is another location on Kent Island...much closer to you.

31 CONCORDE

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  20:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Have been boating for years. Love that there's a woman's section on this forum. I'm expecting my new old boat in the next couple of weeks. She's a "project". Old Chris Craft that I hope to live on when I retire. I took a mechanics course many years ago in my mid 20's. Single parent with no money. I had a Dodge Dart w slant 6 engine. Great to workon. My problem with any boat I've ever owned is lack of accessibility. It's a royal pain to try to get at parts of the engine. But you go girl! I give you credit.

Homeport: Saint Petersburg, FL Go to Top of Page

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  21:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right, there is quite a bit of standing on one's head and folding up into a little ball. That's what is nice about being a woman...I fit in smaller spots and can bend into weirder shapes. (of course there was the time I ducked into a little access hole and my chest went in, but not back out. Sadly, there are pics of that unfortunate event, much to the enjoyment of my "co-workers". I learned a lesson. I am so glad to meet another woman who works on stuff...wish you were closer!

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  06:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, Jen, that did it for me. I'll hold your wrenches any day. Will you marry me ?

Eric

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

MacInCt

RO# 20223

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  12:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I could adopt you?

Nancy

2003 Johnson 70 - Charmer

Homeport: Nantucket, MA & Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  11:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I wish you were closer. I wouldn't go back north if I was paid. Boating is year round in FL. It is great to have this forum and meet people with the same interest. I finalized the deal on my boat and expect delivery in the next two weeks. She's going to need a lot of work. I knew it was a project boat. Lots of work to do. Boat has sat for some time. Dealer said one engine was running, then they supposedly got the other engine cranking. I didn't have the surveyor check engines figuring I would probably have them remanufactured. There's a shop close to me that does to manufacturers specs. Right now neither engine will turn over (I wanted them to do a compression test). He says they crank slowly. At least they turn by hand. I'm thinking its obviously electrical. I find out when it gets down here. I'll be picking your brain.

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  16:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feel free to pick! How "slowly are they turning and does it have shore power, I would plug it in and see if the charger works.
The other thing that I have done, is to do a compression test with a jump pack. Although it doesn't solve the initial problem, it could alert you to a bigger problem. Since you can't run it before the test and that will certaintly affect the results of the test, I would also remove all of the plugs and spray some PB in them to loosen them a little. It could be cranking slowly for other reasons than an electrical issue. Good luck!
PS How close to North Port are you? I am heading there for a graduation at the end of May.

MsChrissyLI

RO# 25498

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  19:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Jensen
MsChrissyLI here, another fellow female boater who's not afraid to get her hands dirty. As a matter of fact, my teenage daughter helps me out when ever I need it. She changed the plugs and helped me replace the impeller this year.

My boat's a baby compared to yours. A 20' Celebrity. Is your boat a single screw or twin? Do you dock, moor or trailer your boat?

MsChrissyLI

Homeport: Ashroken, NY Go to Top of Page

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  09:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen, Northport is about an hour away from St. Petersburg. When are you coming down? Will you have time to try to get together? You are far more knowledgable about mechanics than I. Dealer says the engines are cranking "very slowly". I'm trying to get them to transport next week. I've not been happy with the process. Anyway, I'm curious as to what would cause both engines to do this? There has to be something they both share that would cause lack of juice? Can't believe both starters and/or alternators would go at the same time. Like I said she's a project boat. Will have more info when I actually get my hands on her. Hopefully, you'll have time to meet up when you come down. I love meeting new people. By the way--weather is fantastic today. Sunny, 80's, with nice sea breeze. Of course it's only 9:30 am

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - May 03 2008 :  21:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jensen
My boat finally arrived yesterday. I had to put her up on the hard in Englewood==right next to Northport. She's real pretty. The delivery got screwed up at the marina I was putting her in. Ended up taking her further south. I was so excited I forgot to take pictures. Next trip down. The battery cables were crap. I'll replace them and the batteries. Then maybe I can get a compression reading. Hope you're doing well.

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - May 03 2008 :  23:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay for you! You got it..despite all of the poo from the dealer!
I am kind of glad to hear that the cables are shot..hopefully that will be the main prob!
The compression test will give you more insight too!
I will be in north port the 29,-june 1.

Jenn

andrea

RO# 30285

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  08:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! New to the forum. Hey Jensen ...Did you have a hard time getting a job at the marina as a mechanic? I live in Ft. Lauderdale and I'm about to start marine service tech school. Speaking to the school, women are scarce in the course. I love tinkering w/engines. Changed the manifolds and risers (things like that) on my first one. I had to change the ignition coils on my current. Nothing major just basic stuff. Marinas are like McDonalds here one on every corner. I'm excited and a little nervous about the course.
Glad I found this site!

Homeport: fort lauderdale, fl Go to Top of Page

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  18:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrea,
I did have a hard time at first, but when I really meddled the guy a little, he gave me a job which I didn't negotiate to be paid for. He gave me the most rotten job in hopes that I would not be interested or would give up, but when I finished the job, he gave me another. Pretty soon, customers started asking for me. The notoriety of being a girl can be an advantage, but you have to work twice as hard and make half as many mistakes to be respected. That said, I LOVE IT!

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  12:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jen and welcome Andrea,
!
Wasn't online during June--technical problems. Sorry I missed you Jen. Update on the new "old" boat. Keep in mind she's a classic project. Put off checking the engine to do some structural renov while she's on the hard. Think I'll start a new thread documenting this project. What do you all think? Got the rotted bulkhead out, headliner off and cushions trashed. Crane came and got the gen set out. It's trashed also. Nothing so far that I didn't expect. Did not anticipate having the engine bilge fill with rain water up to the starters. Duh! No charging system--no bilge pumps--lots of water... It was taking forever to pump water out so drilled 1 1/4" hole in hull. Hope I didn't make a mistake but I got rid of the water and will prevent future fill ups. I'll either put a transducer in or plug or glass it over when she's ready to launch. The gen set platform was rotted and colapsed during transport. Now that it's gone I have more room in there to see what's going on and work. I'm hoping the water didn't cause too much damage. There was also an old line in the bilge that was pretty much dry when I pulled it out. I hope that's a good sign. It's taking me 2 hours to drive to the boat from St. Pete and very HOT here in FL for working on her. I'm planning my trips down there to be the most productive. I'm ordering materials for bulkhead replacement. While waiting I thought I'd buy battery, new cables and try to get the compression test done. I was going to hire a mechanic to do it but he wanted $500. I decided to make my old body do what it no longer wants to do and get in there myself. Mechanic also felt I should repower with lighter weight engines and scrap the 350's. I've decided they are the original Chris Craft engines. Still 350's. What do you think about putting oil in cylinders before useing the guage. Will this help get a more accurate reading considering egines have sat for so long?

Nancy

RO# 4224

Posted - Jul 05 2008 :  21:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marg,

Wow, what a project! Better you than me! As if all those structural and mechanical problem weren't enough, you're doing this in Florida summer heat. What year and model is the boat?

I suggest you post in the engine forum to get the best response.

Nancy

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  15:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marg,
I wouldn't pay someone to do a compression test. You can get the tester for about $20 and if you can remove spark plugs, you can do it yourself. You are right that since the engines haven't ran, the test won't be 100% accurate, but it could pinpoint a problem. I would suggest a leakdown test also.
I am not sure that I would consider putting smaller than the 350s in that boat...the small block is such a good engine anyway!
Sorry for the delay in response, I am having pretty big issues of my own, I blew up an outdrive and now I am trying to figure it out. I think that I may have met my match as I am becoming quite discouraged...I JUST WANT MY BOAT TO WORK!!
Anyway, continued good wishes and keep me updated!

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  11:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jen,
Oh dear... Sounds like an expensive problem even doing the work yourself. Thanks for the encouragement. I agree about the compression test. Can you imagine $$$500... Hope your boat is back in the water soon.

Nancy,
I just want my boat to look as pristine as yours. She's a beuty. Saw it in the classifieds. Have you sold her yet?

Andrea,

Did I neglect to welcome you to forum. WELCOME! Great to have a women's forum supporting each other in boating activities.

Nancy

RO# 4224

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  19:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marg,

Thanks for the nice comments about our boat. No, she hasn't sold yet. We only started advertising this week.

Nancy

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  21:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with your sale Nancy.

Jen,
How's it going with you outdrive. Saw your post on engines forum. Thought the idea of apprenticing was a good one. My last boat was a 27' Sea Ray, Alpha 1. Always thought the outdrive was too small for the 454. Had heard they rectified it with the Bravo series. Blew my engine out. Probably a piece of seaweed blocked intake. Hope it's going better for you. It sucks not to get out on the water due to mechanical problems. It's been a year this month since my engine blew. My soul yearns for the water. Thinking about you.

Margret

HenHouse1

RO# 30414

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  09:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jen and ALL. I'm new to BoaterEd forum. Hope to meet new and exciting people here as well as on the water. I do not repair my own boat, but I captain it. I get lots of looks and many men want to marry me too! This is our third year on the water and we love it. We are out of SurfSide3 in Lindenhurst. 34' SeaRay Sundancer. Great first boat!!

Four Part Harmony

Homeport: Surfside - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

marg

RO# 29899

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  11:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome HenHouse. I used to get a standing ovation when I pulled into the marina in my 34' Sea Ray. Love those twin engines. I guess it's quite the sight to see a woman at the helm. My husband like person is the "ornament". Ha Ha.

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  23:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha...When I pull my boat in, the boys come running. I think that biggest compliment I have ever gotten was when I was backing into my slip and a couple of guys started to come and then another guy informed that that "Oh, its just Jenn, she doesn't need help" Of course with votes like that, the pressure is on!! I didn't get my drive fixed yet, but another advantage of being "just a girl" is that the marina guys hate your sad face and give you a loaner outdrive....Its a duo prop instead of my single screw...ah, the chest finally pays off for something other than being in the way in the bilge :)

freckles

RO# 1665

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  10:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the standing ovation remark about pulling into the marina...
I've got a Formula with twin HP500's... they're loud. People usually hear me before they see me, and by the time I back into the slip and look around, there're a few watching. My kids wanted to name the boat "Take a Picture" because of the looks we'd receive. I love the handling of the twins (and of the boat in general). Don't see many women driving go-fasts.

I'm in the learning phase of maintenance. I'm trying to know enough so that I'm not taken advantage of by any mechanics. I've got a good one now, but he's in the process of relocating. I've watched the oil being changed, etc, and know I can do it myself. I'm just strapped for time right now...

Keep posting so we can keep learning.

~Christine

You hate boats like mine until you ride in one.

Homeport: Lake St. Clair, Michigan Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Its Only A Day Late! Topic Next Topic: To sell or not?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.55 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com