BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Harvey's Dry Suit - I never dove with them...
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dive requirements and general advice Topic Next Topic: Olympus equipment  

DLL

RO# 1777

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was certified by PADI or was it Noah? Long time ago. I had to get out of diving for many years, but due to a major accident a few years ago a couple of my doctors think walking in the pool would be good for me. They already know cold is BAD for my system, so they said to buy a heated pool, club membership or a Dry Suit for use at home.

I found a Harveys in my size. It has a small patch up front, but other than that it is water tight, very clean and even has a zipper in the right spot for guys. I can use it as is, but was wondering if any of you have ever sent a Dry Suit (I am 5'9" and 220 pounds)back in for the manufacturer to "look over" ---- uh --- refurbish might be the word. The zippers all work fine. I would be sending it back in to ensure its longevity and in case I wore it during an emergency (coastal use).

I looked off and on for several months before I bought this one for a little over $150.

Any suggestions appreciated. We are looking for a similar suit for my wife. She is not a certified diver and I would never suggest she become one. She panics. Nuff said.

Thanks for any help...Dave (Oh, I am 62 years old and in fair health, there will never be any diving days in my future due to CCHS).

Homeport: Riverview Marina, CA

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  21:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have four different dry suits. Personally, I hate 'em but have used them in the past when it was the smarter thing to do. My wife is just the opposite - she prefers a dry suit for extended dives.

Most dry suit manufacturers have a refurbishment program. I don't know anything about Harvey's, but they are a reputable name. Give them a call and see what they say.

An alternative would be to use a good custom wetsuit company - preferably one that deals with a lot of commercial divers. Being in Houston, this is easy.

I don't know how deep you plan to be for your walking, but I trust you realize that neoprene dry suits are very buoyant. You might need to carry some weight to maintain good footing. If you find you need weight then, for walking, you might consider one of the suspender type weight belts.

Eric

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

DLL

RO# 1777

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  21:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, the pool is about 3ft deep in each end and about 6 feet in the center. Wife wanted a pool for the kids about 25 years ago. I may need the weights.

I was looking for a serial number ... trying to get an idea of how old the suit is, etc.

I emailed Harvey's and have not heard back.

I did not see anything indicating what it might cost for them to look at it.

Homeport: Riverview Marina, CA Go to Top of Page

fstbttms

RO# 20836

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  22:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a Harvey's "commercial grade" Aqua Capsule neoprene drysuit all winter in my hull cleaning business here in the SF Bay Area. I think it's a great suit for the money. But as previously mentioned, neoprene drysuits are very bouyant. Also very warm. In all but the coldest weather I think you will be uncomfortable wearing it for wading. I think you would have been better off buying a shell-type suit that provides little insulation. Then you could wear an appropriate undergarment for the part of you that will actually be in the water.

That being said, you don't necessarily need to send the suit to Harvey's for a tune-up. There are many custom wetsuit/drysuit shops that can perform any needed repairs. Look online for one near you. And since the suit is neoprene, you can perform many repairs yourself, if you were so inclined.

Edited by - fstbttms on Apr 20 2008 22:54:31

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

DLL

RO# 1777

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  22:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a permanently injured lower back. Sensitive enough and painful enough I take morphine for the pain. Even a small amount of cold sets my back off.

I put it on today and YOU ARE RIGHT. It IS warm. But the real lesson was trying to walk in it. I missed some air in the booty part and my feet chased my rear the whole time. My Portuguese Water Dog is my Service Dog and she absolutely KNEW I did NOT belong in the water like that. If I put a line on the suit, she will tow me to the steps. Webbed feet and all.

I need some weights, so I will hit the kids up for a spare belt or something.

BTW, the suit did not leak a bit. And I am not wearing a tank to help it seal.

Tomorrow I think I will trail a line behind me to see what my dog will do.

Homeport: Riverview Marina, CA Go to Top of Page

nph

RO# 16897

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  08:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you look for weights, you will need 2 sets, a standard weight belt to off set the suit it self, then you will want a set of ankle weights, it will help keep yopu feet down. The last thing you want is for alot of air to get in your feet and invert your self in the pool with no tank. I know the pool is shallow, and you can standup, but sh!t happens.

As far as checking the suit out. Any dive shop can handle that for you.

The thing to check for:
Are the seals in good condition, not dry and or cracked. I assume they are neoprene seals, they should last for ever.
Is the zipper in good shape, it should open and close smoothly. You can and should get zipper lube, or zipper wax, and run it up and down the zipper. Both on the outside where you see the teeth, and inside in the rubber, you will see a thin line of the teeth. That is where your seal is made.
The most important you seem to have already done, and that is to check it for leaks. Normally that is done by, putting plugs in the neck and wrist seals and inflating the suit. Then you check for leaks, a spray bottle with a mix of dish soap and water, use a very small amount of dish soap. The manufactures have a tank with a frame to submerge the suit, that is the best way, but the other way works.

Good luck and be carefull.

Homeport: Bordentown NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Dive requirements and general advice Topic Next Topic: Olympus equipment  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com