BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 learning diesel maintenance and repair
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New Boat Topic Next Topic: Does Anyone know?.....  

heidi

RO# 474

Posted - May 01 2008 :  20:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
greetings! in line with "fixing" things yourself, does anyone know of any kind of a diesel repair class/course/workshop geared to the amateur boater? i don't want to become a professional diesel mechanic, but would like to become more confident facing maintenance and repairs on my 120-HP ford lehman in a CHB. i live in a small town in alaska, so few options locally. i was wishing there was a week-long (or whatever) workshop i could attend somewhere.

lacking something like that, does anyone have recommendations on the best published materials to start studying?

thanks!

Homeport: Ketchikan, AK

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - May 01 2008 :  20:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might consider contacting the mfgr of the engine you have aboard... they might have a make/model specific "owner's course" available or suggestions.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Jensen

RO# 15455

Posted - May 01 2008 :  23:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Barnes and Nobles website and just search for diesel engines. Also, surf the internet. The best way to learn for me is trial and error. Also, if you have a friend or know someone with diesel engines ask to help them. Every mechanic is happy to have someone hand them tools and most are happy to explain what they are doing. A class is good, but hands on, specific information is usually the most helpful stuff I encounter. If you have worked on gas engines, diesels are really not that terribly different. Good luck and keep researching!!!

If it ain't broke...it will be.

Homeport: Md Go to Top of Page

c

RO# 11120

Posted - May 03 2008 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The US Power Squadron has a course for members on Engine Maintenance (including diesels) that I can highly recommend. I don't know if there is a squadron near you, but you might be able to join and do "distance learning."

http://www.usps.org/e_stuff/member_courses.htm

Charles

Homeport: San Rafael, CA Go to Top of Page

divedaddy

RO# 24262

Posted - May 03 2008 :  17:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remembered an article from last year and found it - January 2007 issue of Power and Motoryacht,

Here's the article ...
http://www.mackboring.com/CMFiles/Docs/Diesel%20101.pdf

Here's a a link to the classes
http://www.mackboring.com/Training/Boat_Owner_Training.aspx

Eric

Homeport: Clear Lake, TX Go to Top of Page

heidi

RO# 474

Posted - May 05 2008 :  15:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these are all good suggestions -- thanks! i just need to buckle down and start researching! this will help get started.

Homeport: Ketchikan, AK Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 05 2008 :  15:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have the manual for your engine? diesel manuals are much better than auto books because those engines must be repaired by folks in remote locations far from help, like Alaska.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 05 2008 :  15:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
google ford lehman there is a tremendous amout of stuff on the web about those engines.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Badsanta

RO# 28970

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  00:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went here and had a great time. Super people and a great instructor. My first time but found that most the other students have been going there for years. Lots of gals you wont be alone, well the diesel class maybe, but I learned alot. Sorry to intrude, just wanted to pass this on. Other than going there I have no other connection. But I will go back.

http://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/

Badsanta

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

hooks

RO# 13083

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check with your local technical college, they may have a basics course...

Regards, Jim

Homeport: Deforest,Wisconsin..La Crosse, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: New Boat Topic Next Topic: Does Anyone know?.....  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com