BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 193 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: DonnaB ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 Cruiser 420 Express
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cruisers 375 MotorYacht Topic Next Topic: 5000 Sedan Sport handling  

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - May 31 2008 :  17:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just happen to see the 2008 Cruisers 420 Express with IPS. Cruisers did one heck of a job with this layout! I'm really impressed with the classy design of the sole, cockpit & helm. Very well thought out. Engine area is a good size & layout too. Nice job all around. I had seen the 39 but felt it was too much for too little but this boat has got my attention. I'm told in 2009 it will be offered in a coupe full glass no canvass? Has anyone driven this boat for some cruising speeds? I don't see Boat test has any testing yet?

Edited by - Capt. Art on May 31 2008 17:25:07

Homeport: Staten Island, NY

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - May 31 2008 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art
I have not seen the boat yet but historicity Cruisers gives a lot of boat for the money, always great use of every inch of space, very good sea manors for design and over all good usability!
This is all I have on the 420 but will do some sniffing around this week

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - May 31 2008 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy, maybe Ramsport will have some more info. If you get a chance to see this one take a look. The IPS allowed them to make the engine room smaller but it's plenty for the IPS system. The extra room they used for the layouts interior. Very nice job.

Homeport: Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  07:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like it!!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  10:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cabin is exactly as Cruisers' previous 3870 Express, with some modification of finishes of course. Funny how "model numbers" have gone up huh? I personally don't like the lines of this coupe, the proportions of the top look odd to me. But it's a nice boat with tons of space!

Here's more pics and an article of the coupe:

http://www.motorboating.com/articleHtml.jsp?ID=1000060379

Here's a bunch of pics of the coupe taken at a boat show:

http://www.cruisersyachtsownersclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1572

Here's some 3870's so you can see where the layout came from:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Cruisers-3870-Express-91344475

http://www.yachtbroker.com/index.php?section=search&boatId=1379275&photo_index=0&maximize=23371901

Looking at the layout drawing of the cockpit posted by Andy, I just noticed even the cockpit is laid out the same as the 3870. Looks like this is really the same boat with some hull modification for IPS, a coupe top and updated finishes. Doesn't seem to me that IPS allowed them any more room to make any changes to the cabin though, it's the same.

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Edited by - Veg on Jun 01 2008 10:53:11

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  14:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ernesto, I think you are right...same basic layout as the 3870. I really like the 3870 but the galley on the 3870 is very small for that size boat. My cruisers 3372 had a better galley IMO than the 3870 does but they have increased it slightly for the 420 (got rid of the full size fridge and put a small counter top on a half sized fridge in the 420). I like the coupe lines alright but I hope everyone who buys one knows they are going to be running that genset 24/7 when away from the dock if they are anywhere near the south.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  16:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What's interesting is that the new 420 Coupe is closely related to (an evolution of) the 3870... And yet the 420 Express Art probably was referring to in the original post is a one stateroom/one head boat with a completely different layout.

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  19:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art...We have a 2009 420Sport Coupe coming in this week with twin IPS 500's. It's getting delivered to it's new owner on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes. From what I understand, the private midcabin is exclusive to the Sport Coupe and is not available on the Express. The boss says it should top out at about 35 to 38 kts...time will tell. Can't wait to run it though...I love the way the 390 SC runs...even with V-Drives

The family that bought it traded a Carver 506 Motor Yacht on it...they wanted to downsize.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  21:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ernesto, you're right. The 420 Express is a ONE Stateroom, One Head that gives much more room to the salon. I have not seen the Coupe but if it's 2 Staterooms then the room I'm talking about is gone. Then the 460 would be needed & I was not happy with the 460 layout?

RamSport, I just came off a testdrive of a 420 with IPS...Very easy to handle, ride in a chop is a little wet unless you throttle down. No electronics on the boat so no spped could be determined but cruising at 2700 RPM was about 30 GPH on the Volvo Penta Engine gauges that's about half of what I burn now. Boat had plenty of speed and felt agile. Turns well no cavation on lean. Took a little longer then I'd expect to get on plane but all in all felt sturdy. I wish it had a sunroof but I'd not want a full roof or full glass. I like the feel of the wind & visabilty.
For just the wife & I a great setup with a lot of room. One thing is the Stateroom, they could have given you a King size bed with the one cabin? Very tempting????
Anyone know the hull construction of this model? Is it full fiberglass? Built to what standard?

Homeport: Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  22:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I guess this is one of the few Cruisers that is NOT fully balsa cored. According to the "Highlights" section on this model in the Cruisers web site:

"Solid fiberglass hull bottom with balsa cored hull sides"
"Stringers are fiberglass over foam"

Previous Topic: Cruisers 375 MotorYacht Topic Next Topic: 5000 Sedan Sport handling  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com