BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Dive requirements and general advice
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: mini season Topic Next Topic: Harveys Dry Suit - I never dove with them...  

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  00:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time NAUI diver but never dove off my own boat. New boat and new hookamax dive system. Am I required to fly a diver down flag? or is that subject to local laws. Dives will be shallow in no wake , no traffic coves, fresh water lake. Wife will stay onboard. I plan on staying very close to the boat but don't want to get a fine for not having a flag. Compressor will have to run off of portable generator, wife will watch the wind and for any possible boat traffic.. Suggestions? BTW,I realize the hookamax system isn't the best out there, maybe even the worst? but the primary usage is for cleaning under the boat, checking for tangles in props, thru-hull inspections and some shallow (under 20') exploration.

Edited by - TIC on Jun 04 2008 00:58:20

Homeport: PA

Skeetobite

RO# 23118

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  04:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dive off my boat all the time. Primarily to clean the bottom. You must fly a diver down flag every time. I've seen divers get a ticket when they surface and the local law enforcement is topside waiting for them. I think it was a $50 fine. Your plan seems sound. I dive with all my gear and keep about 6' of water under the boat, this way I can stand on the bottom if necessary for leverage as needed, but without risking getting crushed by the hull.

If you are going to use the hooka to explore the shallows, you shouldn't go more than 50' from your boat without deploying a floating flag. This will help you avoid possible injury, death, another ticket or other form of general mayhem.

America... A hole in the map I throw money into.

Homeport: Palmetto, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: mini season Topic Next Topic: Harveys Dry Suit - I never dove with them...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.32 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com