BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 139 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 Ya can't win!
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thongs Topic Next Topic: recs needed for my next butane cooker  

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  16:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be an evil force at work to keep us off the water in CNY. This year we splashed earlier than ever in April. May was crappy & now it's so unbearably hot that we can't stand it!
After scrubbing, loading & getting the boat in shape, we still haven't been out of the slip. This rots!!
With temps in the 90's & humidity soaring, we are staying cool at home, no point in sitting in the AC on the boat, or frying at the dock.
Hope those of you elsewhere have had better luck so far.
(the house & yard are looking good however) small consolation.

Homeport: Seneca River, NY

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  16:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing here. I splashed about 2 weeks earlier than usual and mine has been at a canvas shop for three weeks and I think we're gonna get out for the first time sometime this weekend.

Edit: Sorry...I just realized that this was in the Women's Forum. I'll delete it if you'd like.

KALENA II

Edited by - Tanqueray on Jun 06 2008 16:37:02

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  16:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Tang, you're more than welcome to post here, after all we are practically neighbors, as we live on the Seneca River.

We slip on Cayuga. Took a run out this AM & ran right back home!

Homeport: Seneca River, NY Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  18:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High heat and humidity are the norm here. Almost all year. We just anchor out and get in the warm water to cool off.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  18:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you new yorkers are never satisfied. memorial weekend started cold and people bitched now it finally warm up and still people bitch.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 06 2008 :  19:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Does the word MENOPAUSE mean anything to you?
My wish for you is that you could experience it !
(just for one 90+ degree day) ;o)

duck

RO# 17014

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  17:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was mean Sunny. Accurate, but mean! :) The weather is brutal. We were out all weekend with a welcomed thunderstorm yesterday. Home now and hibernating in the AC.

BTW, don't these Floridians complain a bit during hurricane season?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  08:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rduhon,
Good friends of ours from La, have just bought a home here for the summer, He's out fishing daily & she's home. I can't even call her for sympathy as this weather is normal for them! The last time we visited La I vowed only to go back in the Winter, if there is one there. I guess it's what you're used to.

Duck wrote:"That was mean Sunny"

Oh Yeah Duck, I can be REALLY mean in the extreme heat!
I spent all of March & April getting the remodeling & painting done. I even hired a new landscaper to take care of the outside things. Thought I was all set for a stress free boating season.
We ran out to the marina Friday to load more stuff & scooted back home to the cool. Met the boat gang for dinner Sat night & again made the dash home to the AC. Today should be the last of the 90's for a while, we broke records yesterday, & are hoping for a boat weekend rain or shine. The dogs miss going too! (Rudi is doing fine, I have them both on only home cooked food)

lil red truck

RO# 25758

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  10:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunny, lets take a trip down memory lane-
http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109292

it is stinky out there, but it sure beats the beejezzuz outta february.
now is the time for those mojitos.

Honora
1987 Bayliner Ciera 2450
Matthew 7:12
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." ~ George Sand

Homeport: Yonkers, NY Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  12:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the memory jog Honera! ;o) We just have such stinking weather here, except Spring & this Spring turned out to be Summer!

Yay to the Mojitos! We've been having them every night, except not on the boat, where of course, they taste much better!! We even have a pot of Mint at the marina...which is better than a mint of Pot anyday!

duck

RO# 17014

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  13:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sunny

Thanks for the memory jog Honera! ;o) We just have such stinking weather here, except Spring & this Spring turned out to be Summer!

Yay to the Mojitos! We've been having them every night, except not on the boat, where of course, they taste much better!! We even have a pot of Mint at the marina...which is better than a mint of Pot anyday!

Okay, what have you and Honora been doing without me?

Believe me, I'm with you with the heat thing. I loved the thunderstorm on Sunday, of course we were safely docked at Port Jeff. We seem to go from winter to summer. No spring or fall anymore. Keep the dogs out of this. Mine is allowed to P & P. Nothing more. What's up with the homecooked food for the poochkies? We just met a friend of a friend who does the same thing. I think I'm out of the loop here.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  14:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What's up with the homecooked food for the poochkies?"

Melanie, since Rudi's stone (calcium oxalate) surgery, I have poured over the latest in medical advice & holistic remedies, since these cannot be dissolved with that Hill's prescription stuff. I am feeding "Fuzzer Food" http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/?s=fuzzer+food
Basically it's a low-oxalate protein based diet, helpful for the prevention of additional stones & also for kidney health. Only distilled water.
Adding all of the supplements, is a bit of a pain, but anything for my pooches!!
I can't tell you how much they love it & only their blood work in a month will tell the story.
Oh & I have to test PP PH daily as well to try to lower the acid environment that encourages the stone formation, so far so good.
Rudi is very cooperative, lifting that leg ! Milo thinks I'm nuts. Schnauzers are genetically predisposed to bladder stones.

duck

RO# 17014

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  14:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see. Makes a great deal of sense, and you're a good mom to go there, but what choice do we have? They own our hearts. I've done my share of like adjustments. We too do distilled water. Our friend will not feed her dog, (no health problems), anything other than blended people food. Her theory is they're carnivors, and don't benefit from all of the preservatives and grains in dog food, no matter what the quality. I don't know. I worry about their dental health feeding them only "mush." Mine gets steak, chicken, cheese, etc., but only as a supplement to her dry dog food. The other three lived to ripe old ages on traditional diets, plus an abundance of people food. I think we must be doing something right. Hope the blood work is all good.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  15:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with your friend. We brush a few times a week......no we don't floss! :o)

I've got two boneless London broils in the pressure cooker now. Every week one of the grocers will have that or boneless chicken breasts on sale cheap. Yup, I mush up the veggies like your friend, mix with rice, add meat & balance the phosphorus with powered calcium,add vitamins, probiotics & bon apptit for the puppies.
The hubby???? oh he gets whatever. (just kidding!)

defboat

RO# 9541

Posted - Jun 10 2008 :  15:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you all are right - this weather is brutal - makes me wonder what's going on with the environment forget I said that...don't want to go there! Altho, its supposed to be better by this weekend

I too, wish the men could experience one menopausal day in this heat, maybe they would understand!

Homeport: boats in New Castle, NH Go to Top of Page

missrobyn

RO# 25260

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  12:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sunny,
I've only posted once before on this board, but your comment about Schnauzers being predisposed to bladder stones got me thinking. What are the symptoms for those? I have an 11-year old Schnauzer - Sammi, who is the love of my life. I try to keep a sharp eye on him these days as I can see he's slowing down a little. Here he is.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information you can pass my way.
Robyn in SLC

Homeport: Utah Go to Top of Page

duck

RO# 17014

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  13:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cute. Sunny's your source here. Get that blender out!

Sunny, do they recommend adding vitamins for all dogs, or just those with this specific problem?

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  14:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see that some people actually take the time to do their OWN Research on their pets health etc.
We have two cats one of which developed (?) Diabetes last year at the age of 6. The Vet in telling us what could be done (Insulin shots daily etc.) was also obviously leaning towards having her put away because of the expense.
Karen instead started doing her own research and found that one of the real culprits of bringing this condition on was the dry food that they got. We'd had both of them on dry food for years and always thought it was good for their teeth etc. Turns out that the additives in it was actually the cause of one developing this condition. We now have 9 flavors of ONE ONLY Brand of Kitty Food and about 1 1/2 months after starting them on this particular brand her daily test results had become normal (I had to test her 1-2 times a day for blood sugar) and she hasn't had a shot now since last October or so. She acts alot better these days too. I also wonder about their teeth though because of the softer food but at this point it's not our main concern....which is to keep them around as long as possible.

KALENA II

missrobyn

RO# 25260

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  14:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if that post was for my benefit Tanqueray, but just in case it was - but I do, and have in the past done research on my dog's health issues. I was just curious what her dog's symptoms were. As I indicated in my previous post, the dog is very important to me.
Thank you
Robyn

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  14:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope Robyn....wasn't directed at anyone for any reason. Just an observation. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

KALENA II

missrobyn

RO# 25260

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  14:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, just wasn't sure what you meant.
Thank you,
Robyn

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  09:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Robyn,
If you love your Mini, we're friends already!
Sammi looks like a lover, so cute.
Kidneys Can be a problem with aging dogs. Watch for signs of straining or reduced flow, dribbling or the worst, blood in the urine which would signal crystals or stones. In Schnauzers the majority of stones are the Calcium Oxalate type although some can be Struvite.
My favorite sites for anything Schnauzer are http://www.minschnauzer.com/ the Hoflin list is great on the site. I was lucky enough to find http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/vitamins-supplements/ a necessity for anyone feeding homemade. Distilled water is important to prevent mineral buildup. I have two boys & although the younger one is stone-free, I use the diet
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/?s=fuzzer+food for both of the boys.
I was able to see blood, only because there was snow on the ground at the time, & caught the problem before it caused a catastrophic blockage. That happened with our first Mini, and we almost lost him. He lived to 15 after a urostomy.
Hug that boy for me.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sunny, do they recommend adding vitamins for all dogs, or just those with this specific problem?"

Duck, if you feed a commercial food they pretty much are fortified, read the bag. Supplements are crucial for home cooked dog or cat diets. If the animal were diagnosed with a specific problem, say arthritis for example, you may want to switch to a Senior food or supplement with Glucosamine before going the drug route.
I was feeding one of the top rated (by Whole Dog Journal) foods I could find. It didn't save Rudi from his genetics.

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  09:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" I also wonder about their teeth though because of the softer food but at this point it's not our main concern....which is to keep them around as long as possible."

Tang & Karen, good for you!
The latest research pretty much debunks the theory of hard food keeping the teeth clean.

missrobyn

RO# 25260

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  11:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sunny,
Sammi and I thank you for the links you posted. I read through the b.natural information, the food lists were very informative! Lucky you caught the blood in the urine, thank you for the symptom information.
These little guys are really special, aren't they?
Robyn

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  15:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"These little guys are really special, aren't they?"

The best without a doubt Robyn!! They can be PIA's & they are too smart for their own good, but I wouldn't own any other.
PS: Glad to have you aboard!

missrobyn

RO# 25260

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  16:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"They can be PIA's & they are too smart for their own good"

You hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for the information, and the welcome.
Robyn

Previous Topic: Thongs Topic Next Topic: recs needed for my next butane cooker  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com