BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 gulf craft boats
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Used boat buy,  Bayliner or Crownline ?? Topic Next Topic: Something New in SF......  

tcijoe

RO# 20109

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  11:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you watch the for sale ads you will notice i have my mako for sale. as part of that i am willing to accept a trade for a smaller boat that i can run the flats with.

somebody called me and said they have a 15'10" gulf craft with a 40hp tohatsu.

i have never heard of a gulf craft of this size, my guess is a small local florida builder. anyone have any other insight they can pass on?

also what about the tohatsu, it apparently has only 150hrs...i have never been a fan however have no personal experience. any info you can provide would help out.

thanks
13 mckee side console (dinghy for next boat)

Homeport: Palmetto Florida (Riviera Dunes)

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  11:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tohatsu makes the smaller outboards for Mercury. I think up to 25 HP. There was a boating magazine article a couple months ago rating small outboards for dingys. The Tohatsu won hands down because of the price. It ranked first, Mercury ranked second only because of the price was a couple hundred more than Tohatsu and they were the same motor. Tohatsu was the quietest and had the least vibration with the most torque.
There are a lot of commercial fishermen and oyster fishermen around here that use them because of price, ease of starting and durability.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

tcijoe

RO# 20109

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  11:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that makes me feel better about the tohatsu

13 mckee side console (dinghy for next boat)

Homeport: Palmetto Florida (Riviera Dunes) Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  16:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulf Craft, Inc. in Patterson, LA is a commercial boat builder that builds large (130' to 180') USCG Certified, ABS Classed, all welded aluminum, offshore crewboats and on occasion some large Charter/Whale Watch Boats. In the mid to late 1980's (Oil Field down turn time) they did build some smaller center console boats just to keep some cash moving. If that's the boat you are talking about it's from a pedigree builder that is tops in the field of aluminum boat building.

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  18:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think they made boats that small.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  19:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Scotty and ask him.

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Used boat buy,  Bayliner or Crownline ?? Topic Next Topic: Something New in SF......  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com