boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 164 ]  [ Newest Member: Auto1bxf ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Flybridge Boat Transport
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: I learned somthing yesterday. Topic Next Topic: Source of 3860 Leak  

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  18:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone every transport a flybridge boat?
What needs to be done to prepare it for transport? If boat with arch is 16'6" and boat has a draft of 3' 3", then if you remove arch and bimini, say you are down to 12', then add back the draft, isn't 15' too tall for most bridges?

Plus you have the height of the trailer.

Does the flybridge need to come off?
2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY

kalcris

RO# 8891

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  18:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bridge and the console has to come off also, in most cases. Can be a big and expensive job, you have to undo all the wiring for both the boat and the electronics. The most important thing is to have a yard that can put the boat back together once you get home.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

mickeydd

RO# 24647

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  18:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 32' Trojan out of Boston. 13' wide, 3' draft. It has a flybridge with a center console. I had it transported from boston to east coast of Canada (New Brunswick). We had to remove both and strapped it down on the bow.
It took a buddy of mine and I two days to have her ready.
Laws down there in the U.S. are a little more strict than up here. Luckily trojans have everything labelled & numbered.
Hope this helps
Vernon

Homeport: New Brunswick Go to Top of Page

arks1

RO# 790

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a few years ago I looked at the options after buying my current boat (34'L x 12.5W x 21'H). Overland transport was a little less expensive than delivery by water but it would've required extensive de-rigging and re-rigging (radar mast, entire flybridge, all electronics). I figured if the same people who de-rigged it didn't put it back together, then there would be a high likelihood of problems.

I hired a captain and helped him bring it home by water. Much less stressful.

"Winter Dream"
Silverton 34C
White/Green

Homeport: Havre de Grace, Md. Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3880 is a rather low sedan bridge boat. Remove the radar post, drop the Bimini top and you are not much higher than most larger express boats. You could remove the windshield to pick up another 12 inches but I've seen the 3880 shipped with it in place.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW there really is no bridge to remove with the Regal. A roughly 24 inch arch, the radar post and windshield are the only removable parts.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do the transport company determine what bridges are what?
Is there something that list all bridge heights between 2 points.

The 3880 would still be at least 15' tall, right?

I am looking at one in Tennessee. I see 3 options:

1) Drive it around. That means from Knoxville to NY. No idea how long or # of hours. Not even sure river goes out to gulf from there. Trying to find out. I wonder if I can drive it North from there?
2) Transport it to the coast. Hopefully a route can be plotted with no low bridges, then drop it in somewhere in North Carolina and drive it up the coast via water.
3) Full road transport to my dock.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boats were meant to be moved in the water. A sea delivery would be my first choice.

--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  19:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is an oversized load, the driver has to map out the route to get the permit. The truck driver also has to show how tall the highest point on the boat is, then show that he can pass under all over passes without shutting down traffic.
Most of the truck drivers and their agents are a lot smarter than they look... LOL

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

btoran

RO# 19401

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  20:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it all depends on where you're shipping it to and from and the size of the boat. my boat was shipped from seattle to the east coast and only had to have the windshield on the flybridge removed. which, by the way, was a royal pain to put back together, so i would avoid having to remove the whole bridge if at all possible. btw, i'm on long island too and found it was significantly cheaper to have the boat shipped to new jersey instead of crossing into new york. it has something to do with over the road fees for ny or some such nonsense. i had mine shipped to liberty landing and then sailed her home from there.

Bruce Toran
1996 Carver 320 Voyager
-------------------------
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

Edited by - btoran on Aug 04 2008 20:47:30

Homeport: Northport, NY Go to Top of Page

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  20:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Knoxville to NY via the Tenn-Tom and around is a loooong way, the DOT can give the trucker bridge heights and i believe there is a minimum height ... permits company will also have this info.

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  20:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I will deliver by water your new boat to you if you pay for gas and dockage! ;)

And I can't imagine the 3880 needs more than just arch and bimini down and props off.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Edited by - Woodsong on Aug 04 2008 20:50:22

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Ductboy

RO# 12348

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  21:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does the factory transport one of these boats to the dealer?

Dan

Be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...Buddy Cianci

Edited by - Ductboy on Aug 04 2008 21:28:53

Homeport: Westerly, RI Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  21:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truck

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
I don't think over water is a good option.
I don't have the time.
I figure over 100 hours run time, probably 2500 miles total.

I think its gonna come down to truck to NY or truck to coast and then drive the rest by boat.
Maybe take it as far as NJ via 95 and then put it together, drop it in and sail it home.

When I get closer I will look into it. Just nervous about taking things apart and then if they don't go back together well!

So what is maximum height?

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Bill 2

RO# 1779

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  23:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave,

I believe that the maximum height on the truck is 14', although, for some reason, 13' 6" is making a slight noise in the back of my brain. Someone please confirm or correct me as necessary. Thanks.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01

Homeport: Cape Cod Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  00:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked online, it is 13' 6"

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

dancerscap

RO# 20150

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  00:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill 2

Dave,

I believe that the maximum height on the truck is 14', although, for some reason, 13' 6" is making a slight noise in the back of my brain. Someone please confirm or correct me as necessary. Thanks.

26 years trucking, the statute says no more than 13'6" without permit; also, no more than 102" wide without permit. When the permit is applied for, the max height is specified, then the state DOT's specify the route.They even specify which bridges the driver is to exit and ramp around. This adds lots of time and miles which translates to lots of money. By the way statute also specifies no more than 80,000 lbs. without permit, that's truck probably around 28,000 plus boat. The axle weights vary state to state, as do wheel base lengths, those are the driver's responsibility.

Homeport: Hudson,Fl. Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  04:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you dont attend and supervise the removal of stuff dont be surprised to find that things are difficult or impossible to reassemble because wires and cables were cut are now too short or not labeled. Cables for some systems can not be spliced after being cut.
The receiving yard should eventually put the puzzle back together, after great expense, though you may find yourself chasing electrical gremlins.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  09:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not give Regal a call and ask them how they ship them to the dealers.

I can't believe the dealers are assembling the flybridges. I would avoid taking the bridge off.

Mark I -
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Edited by - mintregila on Aug 05 2008 11:56:20

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

Ductboy

RO# 12348

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  11:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know the factory ships via 'truck', but how do they handle the flybridge issue, on or off?

Dan

Be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...Buddy Cianci

Homeport: Westerly, RI Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am told by Regal dealer that the 3880/4080 come in with the bimini off and the arch on the swim platform.
In this setup boat meets all transport requirements.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you could have Regal Dealership remove and secure bimini and arch. Then have trucking company pick up and ship to end location [New Jersey?]. Have a Regal Dealership at end point reassemble everything and launch boat. You take it from there to your home port. That way folks who "should" know what they are doing will be doing the take apart and put back together part of the ordeal.

Can't you find a similar boat closer to home?????

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

JHS3750

RO# 17717

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alternative: (the more water transit and less highway, the better for you and for the boat)
In a little over a week, you could cruise down the TN River into the Ohio R, then up beyond Pittsburgh into the Allegheny a ways -- significantly shorter roadhaul from there into your adjacent waters would be less expensive and "might" not require dissembly.
If you choose to truck her the full distance, I would recommend sending someone from your area to TN to do the dissembly for transport -- knowing they would soon be re-assembling at your end would impose a heightened sense of responsibility about labelling, selecting detachment sites, etc, etc. (Been there, done that)
John

Homeport: Nashville Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave,

Did you look at the one in Pt. Jeff?

It's gas, white, close to home and says owner wants offers.

Mark I -
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

OLD HOUSEBOATER

RO# 9099

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Professional boat movers will take it apart , move it , and put it back together. Get quotes and references. Do a little homework, there are good responsible people out there. I had my 40' RiverQueen Starstream moved from Michigan to the Tennessee River in Alabama without a scratch.

OLD HOUSEBOATER
The French fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Homeport: GULF SHORES AL. Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  13:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are over analyzing this.

I own this boat. There is no bridge to take off.

1) bimini can easily lay down and be secured so that the ENTIRE thing is below the upper windshield. I do it every winter before putting on the canvas cover.

2) The arch on this boat is roughly 24" tall with a 4' radar pole on it. 4 nuts secure the arch to the main part of the boat. Remove those 4 nuts and lie the entire thing down on the sunpad area. No need to even disconnect any wires. If the radar dome still sticks up to far, removing 4 small bolts will allow that to lie flat as well.

Will the trucker still need permits? Sure thing, the boat has a 13' beam. The remaining height issue is very minor at that point.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  21:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Guy in Port Jeff won't budge on price.
The boat I am looking at is much lower than that one and has more bells and whistles.
Thanks.

This boat has a taller arch than the normal 3880 due to TracVision system.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Edited by - CurrentSea on Aug 05 2008 22:00:56

Previous Topic: I learned somthing yesterday. Topic Next Topic: Source of 3860 Leak  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.97 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com