BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: scampbell94501 ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 New Boat
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: To sell or not? Topic Next Topic: learning diesel maintenance and repair  

CT_girl

RO# 30638

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the forum so thanks in advance for your help. My husband & I just bought a boat and love it! But we have 2 children that I desperately want to take out with us...but I have heard horrible stories and am afraid that it is not safe for them. If they fall in and we don't realize it, I am afraid we would never be able to find them. Any suggestions?

Homeport: New London, CT

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PFDs, and strict rules.

Also, there are devices that you can attach to the kids that alert you when they get wet.
Welcome to the world of boating! Please provide some more details about the boat, and include any pictures!

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, first, welcome to the forums. What type of boat did you buy? what size, etc.? Where do you boat and what type of boating are you talking about? We spend tons and tons of time on our sedan with our 2 small ones (currently 6 and 4.5 but been doing it since oldest was a newborn). it can be done very safely if you are always aware and make sure they understand the rules. Give us more info and you can get more practical advice.

Again, welcome to the forums and congrats on the new boat!!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google the "SAFETY TURTLE ALARM SYSTEM", or check out this unit at boatfix.com:
http://www.boatfix.com/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=33199

-Bob-

Edited by - blouderback on Aug 18 2008 11:47:07

CT_girl

RO# 30638

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  13:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We actually bought a used Sea Ray...my husband picked it out so I have no idea the size/make. I hope that helps a little more. We mostly go out on the ocean but sometimes to the lake. blouderback - Have you tried autotether or safety turtle? Are they easy to use?

Homeport: New London, CT Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  13:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never tried any device like that for the boat. However, I had a pool alarm that we would float on the pool that would sound an alarm when disturbed. It never went off, but it kept my wife happy.

-Bob-

SteveG

RO# 2657

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  14:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old are the children? Keep them in front of you, or right next to you - never behind you.

Get them used to the PFDs too.

Steve - Boatless - for now

Homeport: NH Coast Go to Top of Page

CT_girl

RO# 30638

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I can start them out by wearing the PFDs when they are just playing in the water to get used to them. The kids are 3 and 5. I guess I will have to look more into the autotether and turtle alarm...I just want to make sure it is worth the $.

lil red truck

RO# 25758

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  17:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi CT girl. Welcome.
SteveG is right. If they fall into the prop, knowing they're in the water won't be much help. What model SeaRay?

Honora
1987 Bayliner Ciera 2450
Matthew 7:12
Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness." ~ George Sand

Homeport: Yonkers, NY Go to Top of Page

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  21:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CT_girl

I guess I can start them out by wearing the PFDs when they are just playing in the water to get used to them. The kids are 3 and 5. I guess I will have to look more into the autotether and turtle alarm...I just want to make sure it is worth the $.

Can you really put a price tag on your kids? If it gives you peace of mind and safety it's worth the cost in my opinion.

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  21:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hundreds of thousands of young kids ahve been taken on boats as they were growing up and nothing happened to them. it all comes down to the parents.

hard to answer without knowing what size boat... teh precautions to take are different between a 18' Sea Ray bowrider or 63' Express!

both my kids were on the boat as young as 6 to 8 weeks old, I had a 25 footer back then, no problems.

common sense is the best safety device!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  22:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

hundreds of thousands of young kids ahve been taken on boats as they were growing up and nothing happened to them. it all comes down to the parents.

hard to answer without knowing what size boat... teh precautions to take are different between a 18' Sea Ray bowrider or 63' Express!

both my kids were on the boat as young as 6 to 8 weeks old, I had a 25 footer back then, no problems.

common sense is the best safety device!

DITTO
Be a parent, you don't need nor will a battery operated device work as well as being a parent.

Get the kids use to wearing PFDs, my father did that to me, I did that with my kids. At least my kids had ones that were comfortable, when I was a kid, they were not comfortable.

Also, when I was growing up a "CT girl" was not a good thing :)

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

CT_girl

RO# 30638

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just over paranoid. I will be watching them like a hawk but even looking away for a second they can get into trouble. The people at autotether emailed me and offered a 15% off coupon if I purchased from their website ( http://www.autotether.com ). So I ended up buying one and will let you all know how it goes. But thank you again for all your help.

CT_girl

RO# 30638

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  09:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it (the [url=http://www.autotether.com]autotether[/url]) came here quicker than I thought...so we were able to take the kids out before school started. We tested it and it worked great! They loved being on the boat and I actually felt they were safe.

midway

RO# 16094

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  12:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have grandkids that go with us in our 185 all the time, we live on the water so when they hit the back porch heading to the boat life jackets go on before they get off the porch and granny will not let them take off the life jackets until we have returned to the back porch. They are 8 and 9 now and are used to that fact, they have a ball and so do we.

2004 SeaRay 185 Sport
4.3L Alpha1

Homeport: Midway, Ga Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  13:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have not done it already, check your state's rules for lifejacket wear by youngsters. Most states require them on kids below a specified age, 7 in FL, 10 if I recall in GA, I don't know what they all are, but in offshore/non-state waters monitored by USCG it's 13. So always comply with that at a minimum.
Best way to make a child want to stay in a lifejacket is to wear them as parents.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: To sell or not? Topic Next Topic: learning diesel maintenance and repair  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com