BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Silverton 310 fuel tank problem
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New Silverton Owner Topic Next Topic: Macerator Pump inline fuse  

ccstone

RO# 30676

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  23:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam looking at buying a 1995 Silverton 310 express. Iam wondering about issues with the corosion on the tanks. Did this problem effect all tanks or just some? How do i know if this boat has the issue. Do you guys think $20,000 is a good buy on this boat? Thanks

Homeport: Avila, CA

ccstone

RO# 30676

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  23:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK now iam pretty much freaked out on all older fuel tanks, after researching this corrosion issue. It seems like Silverton 310 have alot of issues, and are basically undetectable untill the leak starts. Are there any 310 owners with boats in the mid 90's that have not had issues? I believe there are, so was there a bad batch of tanks that went out or what? I really like this boat. I realize nobody can predict if its going to leak, but mabey iam looking for a few stories that are positive. I would like to believe in the bad batch theory, then there is a chance that a 310 will not turn into a finacial disaster. I feel like i might be talking to myself, anyone out there??? :)

Edited by - ccstone on Oct 15 2008 23:47:09

Homeport: Avila, CA Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  08:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off I am not familure with this boat, but I dont think you can isolate this issue to just Silverton or to just the 310. I know nothing of a "bad batch" theory either. Fact - most boat manufactures purchase their fuel tanks (and water & waste) from a vendor. I would suspect there are limited vednors that cater to the manufacutres, having said that, many of the boats you will find will have fuel tanks of the same manufacture.

As you probably know, things on boats break and fail, windows and rub rails will leak, gel coat will fade, etc etc. When a fuel tank fails its a little scary and usually a heavy expense. Its the kind of thing that stands out. The boat in question is 13 years old and there is no way to prove what was put in the tank and how well the boat (or the fuel tank) was cared for. Its a gamble, and I dont think the manufacture will make any diffrence, the manufacturing of the tanks is regulated by a code. Most of the failures I have read about occur from the inside out. My own personal theory (which is just my opnion) is how often the boat is used. More use should increase the life as the contents will be replaced more often and moisture will be stired up as opposed to sitting in the same place.

There are a few instances where the mounting has been the culprit (again not limited to your particular boat). A strap of other component has worn its way through - although this should casue this type of failure sooner than later - at 13 years, I wouldnt worry about that one.

This topic has been discussed numerous times here and at the SOC site. There are many that have tanks much older thatn 13 years. I have two 125 gallon tanks that are 20 years old and so far so good. In my opnion 20K for that boat is not bad so long as its clean and everything is in working order. If the fuel tank concern is a deal breaker, look for soemthing newer (Silverton or other).

A final thought - investigate what it would take to replace the tank if necessary, and factor that in to the deal. The problem is, you might as well do this for the engines, trans, and the many other components that make up you vessel.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

ccstone

RO# 30676

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  09:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply Britanic. I will have the boat surveyed and then cross my fingers. A little off subject but, does BoaterED have a search function? I cant seem to find anything to click on.

Edited by - ccstone on Oct 16 2008 09:51:47

Squber

RO# 661

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  11:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a Silverton and like it but I would not buy a '90's 310 unless the tanks had already been replaced. our marina is a Silverton dealer and of the four 310's I am aware of three have had to have their tanks replaced. The 4th is a hanger queen since its owner was badly injured shortly after he bought it and it has basically bee sitting in a covered shed. My understanding is that the problem (which Silverton has never acknowledged) is in the design of the boat so, although fuel tanks can corrode on any bat, this one will have many, many more with the problem. In fact, we had a 322 whch is basically the same hul and tank design that just had to have its tanks replaced last year. If nothing else make sure the survey takes a close look at this but I am not sure it can be diagnosed until the leaks start.

Homeport: Oak Grove (Mattox Creek)VA Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  14:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 95 310, new owner still hasn't had a tank problem. Only know of 2 other 310s in this area and both with original tanks. What's wrong with this boat that it's listed so cheap? Seems like I recently saw them selling for twice that price?

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

ccstone

RO# 30676

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  23:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know this for sure but i think SOC did a poll on the Silverton tanks and found that its not as widespread as originally thought (Iam to cheap to join to find out if the poll exist). Anyone know of this?

Good to hear that Gregory. As far as the cheap price....two words.....economic collapse.....just kidding (sort of). Due to our economy people are unloading stuff cheap. This 310 is in very good condition.... super clean....and well taken care of. I dosent have radar, genset, or AC. Does have battery inverter though, and Volvo drive system. I see these boats same year around $30,000+......but really things are only worth what someone is going to pay. I hope to make a little money on this deal.

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  23:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too Cheap, I mean ccstone...You will get your SOC fee back with the first day of advice - gauranteed! BE is great, but SOC is a must for Silverton owners! While your at it, get yourself a BE anchor too.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  20:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a rare boat with Volvo engines and drives. Much rather have that then the Mercs that most of them had.

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  20:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Britanic

Too Cheap, I mean ccstone...You will get your SOC fee back with the first day of advice - gauranteed! BE is great, but SOC is a must for Silverton owners! While your at it, get yourself a BE anchor too.

Yes on both counts. :)

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

MarcJ

RO# 29549

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  16:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did Silverton start using the poly fuel tanks.I'm looking at a couple of 352s of 1999 and 2000 and now I'm concerned about the fuel tanks.

Homeport: San Diego, CA Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  19:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poly fuel tanks? Are you sure you weren't looking at the water tanks?

foggysail

RO# 15080

Posted - Oct 19 2008 :  21:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccstone

Thank you for the reply Britanic. I will have the boat surveyed and then cross my fingers. A little off subject but, does BoaterED have a search function? I cant seem to find anything to click on.

Folks seem to think a surveyor is a master of all things marine. I can assure you, they are not! Unfortunately marine insurance companies require a survey before they will underwrite an insurance policy.

But back to your tanks. The best professional information will be provided by a metallurgist, not a surveyor.

Foggy

Homeport: Fairhaven, MA Go to Top of Page

fotwins94

RO# 24333

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  18:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a 94 310 with original tanks,its a great boat I fortunately have not had a problem with the tanks,good luck with the boat

Homeport: freeport,ny Go to Top of Page

95Silverton312

RO# 33493

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  16:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a silverton 312 and just discovered a fuel leak. Anyone have an idea on cost?

Homeport: DC Go to Top of Page

steve mcguire

RO# 27937

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  18:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 1996 and it leaked gas into the bilge. Had to be towed in, engines removed and two new tanks. Only one was leaking but insurance company said to replace both. Good time to clean the bilge and paint.

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Nov 25 2013 :  18:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 95Silverton312

I have a silverton 312 and just discovered a fuel leak. Anyone have an idea on cost?

Have a '93,37C that I replaced both tanks. Only one leaked but couldn't take chance other wouldn't follow soon. Long story short; $8K out of pocket.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  09:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these aluminum tanks set in foam?

While I was checking into replacing fuel tanks, Poly tanks advertisements said they wouldn't corrode. Big plus!

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

PeteMrrs

RO# 4125

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  09:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 96 310 express, and have never had a tank issue, knock on tin.

If you are not enjoying every single day, you are just depleting the oxygen supply for the rest of us!

Homeport: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 26 2013 :  11:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aluminum, no foam.

PeteMrrs

RO# 4125

Posted - Jun 10 2014 :  15:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke to soon. We just found out that we are now facing a tank problem. I'm not 100% sure which one, and it really doesn't matter as we will end up replacing both of them.

I'm curious Steve, did your insurance company help you with the cost? Also, you were able to replace them after pulling engines, instead of cutting the deck away? Any info that I can get would be extremely helpful and welcomed. We just found out, and I'm really not sure what to do next.

If you are not enjoying every single day, you are just depleting the oxygen supply for the rest of us!

Homeport: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  11:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why an insurance company would help with tank replacment costs unless the tanks were damagd by a covered event like a collision or sinking etc. Mosts tanks leak from corrosion. I emember seeing the tanks replaced on a 312 ( same hull as the 310) and they cut thru both sides of the hull to remove them. Sounds drastic but wasn't really that difficult to repair. I've also heard of tank removal in a 310 where access was cut thru the aft cabin.

Edited by - Gregory S on Jun 11 2014 11:39:52

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  12:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seem people get scared off by any issue on used boats. They expect a perfect boat with no risk yet real cheap.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  16:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

Not sure why an insurance company would help with tank replacment costs unless the tanks were damagd by a covered event like a collision or sinking etc. Mosts tanks leak from corrosion. I emember seeing the tanks replaced on a 312 ( same hull as the 310) and they cut thru both sides of the hull to remove them. Sounds drastic but wasn't really that difficult to repair. I've also heard of tank removal in a 310 where access was cut thru the aft cabin.

My insurance paid for the removal because they wanted surveyor to see the leak & cause of same. It was determined that it was a result of corrosion & company does not cover corrosion. Where the leak developed was no where near contact with anything. It was at the very bottom corner & high enuff off the bottom that I was able to put a coffee cup under the leaking area to prove to my self that it was gas & not condensation. That's all insurance company paid.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jun 12 2014 :  11:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're very lucky they paid anything Bob, most are not so lucky.

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  09:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a known issue specifically with Silverton? This is my first (84 37'). I know the old owner just had them pulled out and redone (bottoms were cut out and replaced). Just wondering if there's a design issue. I've had many vessels including an 84 carver that didn't have those issues to my knowledge.

Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 08 2017 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue with leaking tank can be caused by a few things.

A simple stainless screw under the tank making contact with the bottom of the aluminum tank as an example.

Metal debris inside the tank, corroding from the inside out.

Water pooling under the tank, water inside the tank, etc....

Hard to say what exactly causes it but there are a number of things that can cause it.

About a year after I sold my '97 37 Silverton the new owner came up to the boat one spring and found his bilge full of fuel. Luckily it was on the hard so that reduced his spend but he had to remove both motors to get both tanks out.

Once you go down that road you will address other issues in the bilge when the motors are out, costing you more money.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 09 2017 :  18:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug,
What I read a while back on the SOC, that there were some fuel tank issues with some older Silverton boats. What I remember I read was how the tanks were installed. What I read was that the tank should not be directly installed on the floor that supports the tank. The tank should be propped up on a cross beam structure to allow air to circulate under the tank. I remember this because I checked this out on my 2004 34c, and the tanks were propped up as mentioned. Just an FYI, Robyn's Nest is 100% correct. What I will add to that is older boats suffered from the introduction of ethanol in the fuel, so that too caused leaks. Also, from what I have read, most tanks leak from the inside out so a survey will not show a problem.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: New Silverton Owner Topic Next Topic: Macerator Pump inline fuse  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com