BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Season abruptly cut short
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ladder sold Topic Next Topic: Deck Snorkel  

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  15:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damnit, just when scallop diving season really got rolling and my new drysuit is on the way...

So, I'm sitting at the ER waiting desperately for the painkillers to kick in, and thought my BlackBerry might distract me, so I thought I'd share my afternoon so far. Got my new tooth put in (ceramic over , shattered the last solid ceramic one). Awesome, good day so far. Stopped by the house, came back out to drop off a tank to get filled and to bring my medical record back to work. Saw neighbor's timberwolf had escaped AGAIN, and planned to put it back in their yard AGAIN. As soon as I turned and called him, the little sockcucker lunged at me, shredded up my right hand, then got my right thigh and put a big, deep hole in it right through my heavy two-layered Carhartts (my favorite pair of pants, bý the way). Adrenaline wore off, needed to distract myself from the searing pain from the gaping hole in my leg while I wait for the paltry little Percocet to kick in.

More later. Just needed to focus on something else for a few minutes...
My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  15:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to carry a weapon!
Best of luck for a quick recovery Mike..... and feel welcome to share any leftover pharmaceuticals!! [;)0

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  16:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw, Mike, that stinks. Don't bleed on the Blackberry; makes the screen all blurry.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  16:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEOUCH! Thought of you this morning, facilitating a TCT and we were looking at the Giant Waves video with 44 and 47 boats at Cape D. Also a rollover video but let's move on... Should've prayed not thought it seems. Get well fast, Mike!

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

MacInCt

RO# 20223

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  16:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Timberwolf? Your neighbor has a TIMBERWOLF?? And you have small children? Good God, man, get that sucker put down before it kills someone.

I hope you feel better soon.

All the best,

Nancy

2003 Johnson 70 - Charmer

Homeport: Nantucket, MA & Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  16:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, sorry to hear that, yikes... dog bites can be painful! good luck!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  16:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"put a big, deep hole in it right through my heavy two-layered Carhartts"

Aw, that is terrible. Good, comfortable "over-hauls" are rare and wonderful. Maybe you can salvage them to "oil change duty" or something. At least he didn't put a hole in your new drysuit!

That animal must have mistaken you for a "squid", cause even squids and jarheads know that chewing on a coastie is no fun...

( btw: To those who think I am being a bit callous about NC: I am certain that Mike is tough and will be just fine, if a mite bit irritable for a while. )

Bill

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  17:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny thing is that lately I HAVE started carrying again on occasion. First thing I did when I got back in the door was grab my Para P-14 in case the thing wanted to go round 2, but when I saw how bad my leg was bleeding I decided to drive anyways (can see the hospital from my kitchen window - it's no more than 250 yards to the ER from my back yard). Went from the door to the truck at ready arms with a hot round under my finger, nonetheless.

They gave me a dinky little baby Percocet, but it finally took the burn off. Now it just plain old-fashioned HURTS, instead of searing. Script for 8 more. Should get me through lunchtime tomorrow.

J-D - "Member lost situational awareness".

Nancy - they will be finding a new home for the beast immediately. I'd hate to see the thing put down, but if I see it loose again I'll do it myself. I just really, really, really don't want to, but that danger can't be allowed to continue. The wa) that thing took me down when it got ahold of my leg - man, the power of that shocked me. That would have broken a child's neck three times over.

Bill - that's because everyone knows that (with the exception of barfights, which by international treaties can't bear grudges) we NEVER get beaten twice.

Pascal, you're not kidding. When they flushed it out I could see the gouged off piece of my thigh muscle, and man oh man can I feel it!

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  17:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad we could take your mind off of the pain. What will happen to the dog/wolf? Just curious......

Get better quickly, Mike!

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  19:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully they'll find it a new home. I'd hate to see it put down, but I'd hate more for it to pose a danger to the neighborhood children. The owners are good, caring people, so I do feel bad for them, as they have to do something. Nobody is going to take any chances if this dog gets loose again, and this neighborhood is populated by people you DO NOT want to be in the same town as when they feel their family is threatened.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  21:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MacInCt

Mike,

Timberwolf? Your neighbor has a TIMBERWOLF?? And you have small children? Good God, man, get that sucker put down before it kills someone.

I hope you feel better soon.

All the best,

They have two. One is part Husky. It was the purebred one that got me. My big (120lbs) dumb lab knows something is up and hasn't left my side. Makes me feel horrible thinking about someone having to get rid of their dog. My old dog just passed away a month or so ago, to boot.

I understand better than anyone else that this wolf has to go away, hopefully to a happy new home, but I know how close people are to their dogs. So, a happy new home, and very soon, would be ideal, for no matter whatever else, nobody will take chances with this dog. If it gets loose and into someone's yard, they'll likely end it. And I really, truly don't want that. I'm a much kinder, gentler person than I generally like people to believe.

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  21:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by November Charlie

Hopefully they'll find it a new home. I'd hate to see it put down, but I'd hate more for it to pose a danger to the neighborhood children. The owners are good, caring people, so I do feel bad for them, as they have to do something. Nobody is going to take any chances if this dog gets loose again, and this neighborhood is populated by people you DO NOT want to be in the same town as when they feel their family is threatened.

Mike, I'm really concerned for you right now. Can you call the hospital immediately? Obviously your having a bad reaction to the medication and HALUCINATING.

I'm sorry, but did you say the owners are good caring people? No...those people are careless and negligent and should be in jail.

Would it be okay if I installed a 50 caliber machine gun in the neighborhood, cocked and loaded and mounted it on the top of the playground slide? Sorry, but if you take the responsiblity for owning something inherently dangerous as a timberwolf for crying out loud, then it is no accident if the this thing gets loose. Absolutely no difference at all with the 50 cal on the playground slide.

I think it is grossly unfair when we have to put animals down (though once they have attacked that's the only thing to do). I'd really like to see us putting the owners down right with the animals.

It's only fair.

Hope you feel better, that sucks. I'm going to the range tomorrow. I'll squeeze a few off for you.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Oct 20 2008 :  21:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ghost, while I agree w/ you in general, the owner's certainly could be good caring people, who have suffered a lapse of good sense. This does not relieve them of responsibility, however.

Bill

Edited by - Radioactive on Oct 20 2008 22:45:21

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  08:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't the timberwolf being quarantined? I thought that was SOP in the case of a dog attacking a person. What is to prevent him from attacking someone else?????

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  09:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn Mike! I had a friend years ago who had a Timber/Malamute mix. That dog was straight up powerful when we used to play and wrestle. I sure as hell would not want him around my kids, you can take the animal out of the wild but you can't take the wild out of the animal...

Glad to hear you're relatively okay, you also just reminded me of a Public Service Anouncement I was going to post in NBR.

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

Isn't the timberwolf being quarantined? I thought that was SOP in the case of a dog attacking a person. What is to prevent him from attacking someone else?????

That's the case in Illinois, anyway. My sister's 11 year old black lab, normally the most gentle dog in the world, bit my then 5 year old a couple of years ago while we were visiting, and she (the lab) was put on "house arrest" for 2 weeks by the county.

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

lobsta1

RO# 1808

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  11:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Sorry to hear about "bad day". As bad as it sounds, it also sounds like it could have gotten much worse.

Now, what suit did you finally decide on? Will it be a custom or did you just get the local shop to order a standard size?
Al

1978 Bertram 33

Homeport: Beverly,Ma Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  18:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Al, it's an xL Jetsuit TNG.Brand new HD Viking latex on the wrists to accomodate this skinny guy (no body fat, 6 foot 2, 185lbs. And mostly gray at 30, but hidden with short hair) As far as the animal, if it had bitten ANY child in the neighborhpood, the only potential arrest would be the closest man's. NOT the neighborhood where you want to see a threat to wives or children.

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How Ya feeling, Mike? Have to miss work?

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  09:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, staying home again today. Was going to go in and get some of the mundane administrative-type training work done, but as soon as I took a step my leg burned like hell itself. So, back to the warm embrace of a couple Percocet, making sure I didn't make any posts that are TOO outrageous while under the influence yesterday.

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  09:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, watch some good horror movies and report back on the results...

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

jtsmlarson

RO# 9256

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what did the owners say? Insurance company? Police report? I can't believe their insurance company will allow it to happen again. I'll bet they get a cancellation notice, unless of course they don't mention it to them! I'm a dog lover, but we had a similar thing happen to our lopsided asshole (Lhasa Apso) that was attacked by a wolf hybrid. Our dog dies and nothing happens to them. At the time, we didn't know what to do and now years later with some real life experience I realize that we should have filed a police report and asked for damages from them. We did neither. The dog was owned by a couple in a retirement home of all places. They should have at least paid for the vet bill. They didn't even bother to do that. GRRRRRR!!!!!!

1989 300 DA Twin 350's
1987 250 DA 454 Magnum - -Sold :-(
Duramaxed in Prosser, WA

Homeport: Prosser, WA Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  13:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No medical bills for me - my employer gets away with paying me so poorly by giving me OUTSTANDING health insurance. Full bumper to bumper coverage with no copayment. I don't even pay for Advil.

The owners will (I assume, anyhow. I don't foresee any hesitation) pay to replace the pants that were destroyed. Happened to be my favorite pants (no, seriously, they really were).

As far as Timber, I haven't seen or heard him outside in their yard. Not sure where that stands.

RichC

RO# 13359

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  15:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with Halloween coming, and a wolf bite, you're not starting to get even hairier, and howling, (more than usual) are you? serioulsy, hope you're all good

RichC

Homeport: Chain O'Lakes Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  15:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't think of that - now I have an excuse to bark at the moon!

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  17:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Mike already howled at the moon, this going to be pretty difficult to see differences, even if they are there.

Gosh...think of the movie choices we could make for Mike.

What ever you do, if you start hearing dueling bajo's, turn the channel. Quick.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  20:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason, Mike, Bumper to Bumper sounds like the perfect description for the kind of coverage you should need.
Get well, be sure to send us a CASCOR.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  12:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by j-d

For some reason, Mike, Bumper to Bumper sounds like the perfect description for the kind of coverage you should need.
Get well, be sure to send us a CASCOR.

Yeah, I DO tend to run with scissors...

Previous Topic: Ladder sold Topic Next Topic: Deck Snorkel  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.6 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com