BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 It's here! And I can't dive it.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Second Accident in the area Topic Next Topic: Replacing neoprene wrist seals  

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  13:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My drysuit is finally here!!! Rather than buy a brand new Poseidon Jetsuit TNG Technica at an unimaginable good price (shop's cost), I came across a barely used (owner said less than 5 dives, later said he looked into it and it was 3 dives, and the condition backs it up_, in new condition, Jetsuit with bra,d new unsized HD latex wrist seals to accomodate mƯ skinny wrists, and for about half of what a brand new one would have cost. Plus the time and seventy or so bucks to put latex wrist seals on a new one.

So it arrived yesterday, and I can't dive it!! Following up with my doctor today post-wolf-attack, going to tell him he MUST have me back to 100 percent by Wednesday.

Such a tease looking at this drysuit in it's bright yellow bag...
My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  17:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet a little hyperbaric oxygen would do your wound some good. Plus...there won't be any weight on it.

It's the getting in and out that will kill ya.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  11:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, it's the wife that would kill me. She wouldn't even let me go in to work for a few hours yesterday.

I have a question that you could probably answer, though. I've replaced, sized, fitted hundreds of latex seals if I've done one (USIA and Kokatat suits at work), but I've never played with neoprene seals. Hopw should they fit? And, if they're exceedingly snug, can they be sized (and how?) Do they need to be stretched before final trimming like latex?

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  12:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry mike, I've always done the latex seals (glue, glue, dry, fit, heat, done). I've never even dove a neoprene seal!

Edited by - Ghost on Oct 24 2008 12:57:58

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 24 2008 :  12:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, by way of example, on the day of my last shoulder surgery, I got home, told my wife that I was feeling fine but very tired and I was just going to sleep the rest of the day. So...she went back to work. Strangest thing that the 2 hundred pound desk in the garage made it all the way upstairs into the office before she got home, where she then found me lying on the couch where she left me and the door to the office upstairs was magically closed.

Of course, the door remained closed for about 15 minutes after she got home, so while its actually not a bad example YMMV.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  19:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, finally got it in the water yesterday. Came back with a full bushel and 1000psi left (started with about 2800-last few bottles on the bank were pretty weak when I filled it). Would have taken my time and been more picky about the scallops I took, but I was under duress to get out of the water ricky-tick.

Drysuit was AWESOME. Plenty warm with just Under-Armour under it (geared up inside - nobody should ever have to see me sitting in a skintight Under-Armour shirt). Need to drop some more lead - still weighted for a 7mm two piece and I sank like a stone. Seals were bone dry.

Have the suit hanging inside out drying right now, pain to get the inside of the boots dry, but overall, I'm THRILLED with this suit as opposed to the USIA trilaminate.

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  00:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
boots never ever ever dry. Don't you know anything? If your feet were warm, how would you know when to leave the water?

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suit doesn't have a p-valve. I knew quite well when it was time to get out.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  11:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Suit doesn't have a p-valve. I knew quite well when it was time to get out.

MacInCt

RO# 20223

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  14:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

What happened to the wolf next door? And are there lots of scallops this year? I read somewhere that the harvest wasn't looking so good early in the season.

Nancy

2003 Johnson 70 - Charmer

Homeport: Nantucket, MA & Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  17:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf is still there - they are moving so they don't have to get rid of it. Dumb, dumb idea by my way of thinking, seeing as they have a week and a half old baby in the house now.

There are a lot of scallops this year, but the problem is that most of them are 'nubs' - that is, good sized scallops, but juveniles with a growth ring less than 10MM from the hinge. They had been enforcing a rule this year, which has apparently always been on the books but never enforced (?), prohibiting the harvesting of nub scallops. A day or two ago they rescinded this rule, making anything with a shell length over 2.5" OR a growth ring beyond 10mm fair game. I found myself a new technique on Wednesday's dive - instead of anchoring my boat and towing a flag, I leave the flag on the boat and tow the whole boat. Or rather, drift along under it. Pulled a full bushel on less than a third of a tank.

All in all, the season has been better for divers than commercial draggers, but it should improve now that nubs are legal.

Previous Topic: Second Accident in the area Topic Next Topic: Replacing neoprene wrist seals  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com