BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 136 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 For Women
 Natural Progression?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Men Only Topic Next Topic: Its Only A Day Late!  

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  19:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that so many of the women participating in the WO forum now have the confidence to participate in other BE forums.
This was not the case almost two years ago, when WO was created. I clearly remember the sentiments of 95% of the women participating here.
Did the WO forum serve the purpose?
Are most of the women members too busy to contribute?

Of course it never was just a "Woman's Forum," but getting helpful advice from male ROs in the most respectful manner
went a long way in confidence building.

A male RO recently declared the WO DOA . If that is the case I would say that the WO died happy and unintimidated and that is a good thing!

Homeport: Seneca River, NY

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  20:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a wise woman posted in another thread, R I P!

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

Perc

RO# 9738

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  07:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
A male RO recently declared the WO DOA

He was wrong of course, I think it was DOA at the start.

Monterey 322
"Aqua Dream"

Homeport: Virginia Go to Top of Page

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go again...

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  09:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the issues were of general interest, as evidenced by the lively participation of, and perhaps, recently, domination by, male boaters. The issues would thus perhaps be as appropriate to the ATC forum as to a 'women only' forum. That said, I rather enjoyed reading women's points of view, and this seemed a good place to find them. I'll miss 'em. Somehow I suspect that discussions of galley hints and other housekeepery topics will be summarily hooted off the general forum by those superior XY beings.

Homeport: Edenton, NC Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  13:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only things my wife works on in the boat is the microwave and sometimes throws a line.
She packs a bag, throws in on the boat and lays on the front deck and says "Lets Go"....
She has no interest in setting/pulling the anchor, starting the engines or generator,
checking the oil, lifting the hatches...ect.
I work away from home, so I have been successful in getting her to check the bilge for
water every 3 or 4 days while I am gone for 2 weeks. She turns on the bilge pump and
if water comes out, she times it and tells me how many seconds it runs. If it runs too
long, she will tell the boat yard to fix it.
She loves to go boating, but she is one of those girls who thinks we can just jump on it and
go with a push of a button.
If more ladies would post, maybe I could get her more interested in doing something with the boat.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  13:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As most of you know, I was one of the earliest and most ardent supporter of the WO forum. I worked tirelessly to ensure that it was created, and believed that it would be the most successful forum on BE.

I recall long fights with Les, who was adamently opposed to a "sexist" and "closed" forum, insisting that he create it, and, with the help of others, we wore him down and he relented.

I took my lumps for taking such a position at the time, but I have no regrets.

Long live the WO forum!!!

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  15:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hogan, did you turn democrat too?

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  18:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMG ! I hope not! I used to like him. He makes me laugh.

Homeport: Seneca River, NY Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  19:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amelia wrote:
"That said, I rather enjoyed reading women's points of view, and this seemed a good place to find them. I'll miss 'em. Somehow I suspect that discussions of galley hints and other housekeepery topics will be summarily hooted off the general forum by those superior XY beings."

Exactly Amelia, why would we ask these questions in a male dominated forum? Especially since they have let us know that this
area is "Woman's Work."and not something they have interest in except to be called to dinner.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  19:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be a lot of things in my life, but I'll NEVER be a Democrat!

Gotta go do the laundry...

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hogan, there's hope for you! By the way, could you bring me a beer while you're up?

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  23:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hogan! Get back in the kitchen!

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  21:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you ladies can go here: http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=120

Let this forum go away

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last post on that forum was Nov 4 & by a guy! It's a dead zone.

Sacriverfolks

RO# 30800

Posted - Nov 29 2008 :  22:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to add two items to this discussion - one positive and one negative.

The positive is that since we just bought our first boat together (and my first larger cruiser), I was thrilled to be able to to tell my newbie and first time boat owning fiancee' that there was a women't forum here for her to check out the "girl's stuff" in regards to boating and she really enjoyed it for an hour last night!

The negative is that the one thread she read and was put off by was the one discussing being expected to still participate in off the water life while boating season is going on - and honestly both she and I were very put off by the general attitude that people should be understanding and not hostile when you tell them that you would rather be on a boat than attending special occasional for family/close friends, etc.. I personally thought that it was pretty standard fare for anyone that is gung ho about their personal hobby, but then we also plan on being year-round boaters once she's in the water and we get a full canvas on.

Croozin' for a Boozin'!!!

Homeport: Sacramento, CA Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  09:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In some parts of the country boating can only be done part time. Bad enough that the weather kills a fair percentage of weekends but non-boating related losses cause the true cost of boating in by weekend to skyrocket!!!

Boating is not a hobby for some, myself included, it is a lifestyle. See you at your function in the off season!

Boats, yup, 5 of em...

amelia

RO# 20462

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  14:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When this forum first started, I asked some dumb newbie questions about what a built-from-scratch boat should have in a galley, what were the best interior ideas they ever saw, and the women were splendid! I got great ideas from very experienced old salts, and a feel for what we should make space for, or not throw away money on. I really really appreciated it, and will be incorporating many of those creative and sensible thoughts in our Work-in-Progress, just any year now. So if all you gals are bored with the idea of encouraging us less-confident women, so be it. Thanks a million for all the time and interest you spared for me! (and if anybody has any further thoughts on big-boatish things I won't have even considered, but should, and cares to spare this forum its untimely death, that would be grand!)

Sunny

RO# 10414

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  15:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, Keep this in mind....No one of any authority has declared the WO forum dead.

The same ROs who were anti WO in the beginning are the ones wishful thinking now. Most of the ladies who participate here are grateful for the advice and not at all bored with boating issues concerning woman. I hope we can continue to help out the Newbies and Oldies alike. Lots of boating talent here.

Previous Topic: Men Only Topic Next Topic: Its Only A Day Late!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com